Lovely idea! I still haven’t found an extruder that I would like to work with.
Up to this point, I haven’t made a single incense blend, just oil blends. I do intend to make some one day:praying:

Has anyone tried extruding incense sticks using a meat marinade injector? It looks promising to me, I am inclined to give it a try.

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


The needle would have to be cut down to a nib.
 
Hey Curt, let me know how it goes. I just purchased wild Kalamantin and wild Pursat woods for a personal incense sticks project later in the year. I was wondering if there was a good lower cost extrusion machine for making incense sticks? Someone (Jiang) posted a brief video of an extrusion machine in action yesterday with multiple strands of uniform brown incense “spaghetti” going into a bowl.

Has anyone tried extruding incense sticks using a meat marinade injector? It looks promising to me, I am inclined to give it a try.

View attachment 8989

The needle would have to be cut down to a nib.
 
Why would you use that when extruders for clay exist?
 
Hey Curt, let me know how it goes. I just purchased wild Kalamantin and wild Pursat woods for a personal incense sticks project later in the year. I was wondering if there was a good lower cost extrusion machine for making incense sticks? Someone (Jiang) posted a brief video of an extrusion machine in action yesterday with multiple strands of uniform brown incense “spaghetti” going into a bowl.
Yes I have. Mixed results. It worked until I broke the handle. Any plastic piece will eventually break. You need an all steel super solid one.
 
controlling amount of agarwood? of course the more the better ! general rule of thumb in a 5g dough, 4g agarwood powder 1g binder to a 5g water . This is the most information i can share. hope that helps.
@Chiheisen_Horizon
I have been playing with charcoal powder and ash inclusion. If the wood needs higher heat on Subitism to sing I add my charcoal dust. If the wood smells acrid on higher temp I add ash. Using mostly super and plus grade I find I get away with 8-10% makko by weight. Only thing is that with super low makko the sticks are brittle and will fall apart if handled with an mything but most gentle care. Lastly if I have Robles keeping the stick staying lit (with more sink and top grade stuff) a bit more charcoal dust works great.
 
@Chiheisen_Horizon
I have been playing with charcoal powder and ash inclusion. If the wood needs higher heat on Subitism to sing I add my charcoal dust. If the wood smells acrid on higher temp I add ash. Using mostly super and plus grade I find I get away with 8-10% makko by weight. Only thing is that with super low makko the sticks are brittle and will fall apart if handled with an mything but most gentle care. Lastly if I have Robles keeping the stick staying lit (with more sink and top grade stuff) a bit more charcoal dust works great.
brother u are getting the concept wrong , thats all i can say. try another way. makko u can always 10% why 8-10%?
super or non-super or sinking guys please try to crsuh them and make . i dont want to teach you guys or share,like that you wont learn.
 
brother u are getting the concept wrong , thats all i can say. try another way. makko u can always 10% why 8-10%?
super or non-super or sinking guys please try to crsuh them and make . i dont want to teach you guys or share,like that you wont learn.
i also really dislike it when someone pretends they are masters and make artisnal incense , when they are using machine extrusion, if you are good prove it the manual way , after all its artisnal incense hand-made.
 
Why does it matter if the extruder is pushed by a machine? Are you saying it affects the quality of the incense? Why would you care what kind of extruder somebody else is using?
 
brother u are getting the concept wrong , thats all i can say. try another way. makko u can always 10% why 8-10%?
super or non-super or sinking guys please try to crsuh them and make . i dont want to teach you guys or share,like that you wont learn.

@Chiheisen_Horizon
I can’t read between the lines. Can you shed more light on what you mean by I got it wrong? I am asking genuinely with desire to do better.

In particular would be great to hear your thoughts on ash and charcoal powder use.

As for using 6-10% makko (when I posted 8-10, it was typo. I meant 6-10%) is cause I try to go as little as makko as I can.
 
i also really dislike it when someone pretends they are masters and make artisnal incense , when they are using machine extrusion, if you are good prove it the manual way , after all its artisnal incense hand-made.
I hear you. I too like the manual labour. The hard way. The old school way. It makes the process more enjoyable. The results because of the hard work too are also more enjoyable 🙂
 
just use a simple plastic disposable one.
Since I have never made a stick yet, I don’t even know how soft the paste should be. If there is enough water, and the paste is soft enough, then yes, maybe a simple plastic one will do.
I am not ready to make any yet. I’ll keep pondering it🙂
 
Why does it matter if the extruder is pushed by a machine? Are you saying it affects the quality of the incense? Why would you care what kind of extruder somebody else is using?
Ya....
I would think that the recipie matters more than the extruder. I have tried both dense and less dense sticks, and both seem fine. Charcoal or not, and both seem okay too. It probably boils down to personal preference and desired effect.
 
@Chiheisen_Horizon
I can’t read between the lines. Can you shed more light on what you mean by I got it wrong? I am asking genuinely with desire to do better.

In particular would be great to hear your thoughts on ash and charcoal powder use.

As for using 6-10% makko (when I posted 8-10, it was typo. I meant 6-10%) is cause I try to go as little as makko as I can.
i am not expert , i am still learning but based on my countless batches of incense making 10% makko powder sufficient , but u have to find the right origin makko..... i wont specify......i dont recommend ash, what for? just charcoal will do ! =p
 
i am not expert , i am still learning but based on my countless batches of incense making 10% makko powder sufficient , but u have to find the right origin makko..... i wont specify......i dont recommend ash, what for? just charcoal will do ! =p
How does one try to make a stick to burn cooler? Thinner extrusion of course is one way. But small percentage of ash in my many experiments have had clear results. I learned this method from my grandpa when he used to make incense here and there way back when I was a child. Not agarwood though. It was herbs and sandal mostly. He had a white bag. I thought it was chalk. Turned out it was ash.
 
Exploring Baieido KunSho

I can’t determine the wood’s specific region in Cambodia, but I do get a dark fruits vibe.

Then I compared Shoyeido Myo Ho new box to the old silk box. The difference is very tiny. It’s like the aromatics are a touch more in the new box, maybe because they are fresher.
 
While we are at Dr Incense I just tried his latest offering Sinking Malinau

What can I say the Oud content is so high the stick doesnt stay lit. I had to break it and enjoy it on low heat.

The experience was heavenly [emoji7]... the incense is so true to the region even at room temp.

[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Incense of the Day


Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
 
Dr. Incense Vietnam Hoi-An,

His high end agarwood sticks are two-three tiers above many of kz offerings IMO. The lowest that I've tried from him was probably the traditional Assam sticks but still a good one for the price for daily use oud burn enjoyment. Even the Malaysian sticks aroma was true to the north Malaysian wood and it immediately reminded me with ASO and Habzoud solid oil offerings from that region.
 
Back
Top