Hello everyone. I bought some musk a while ago and found it clumped together like wax. I tried soaking it in sandalwood oil, and to speed up the process, I shook it and gently heated it, but the musk grains still wouldn’t disperse. I also added some musk grains to alcohol, and they still wouldn’t break apart. I have no idea what’s going on—does the musk contain too much oil, or is there still moisture in it? I’m really confused...
 
Hello everyone. I bought some musk a while ago and found it clumped together like wax. I tried soaking it in sandalwood oil, and to speed up the process, I shook it and gently heated it, but the musk grains still wouldn’t disperse. I also added some musk grains to alcohol, and they still wouldn’t break apart. I have no idea what’s going on—does the musk contain too much oil, or is there still moisture in it? I’m really confused...
Musk is a natural product so it will contain fats. If dried out correctly the grains shouldn't stick together at all either within an oil or out of an oil. Have you tried breaking them up with a toothpick or something in the oil? Can you show us a picture?
 
Musk is a natural product so it will contain fats. If dried out correctly the grains shouldn't stick together at all either within an oil or out of an oil. Have you tried breaking them up with a toothpick or something in the oil? Can you show us a picture?
Sandalwood and musk. Don’t get me wrong… the dark one on the right is also the original color of sandalwood. The musk granules inside are still clumped together. I added 0.3g to 2.6g, and for the other one, 0.15g to 3g. I don’t know if the ratio is balanced, but I believe they will turn out really lovely after a few years.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_20260214_113859.webp
    56.8 KB · Views: 36
  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_20260214_114431.webp
    49.7 KB · Views: 46
Sandalwood and musk. Don’t get me wrong… the dark one on the right is also the original color of sandalwood. The musk granules inside are still clumped together. I added 0.3g to 2.6g, and for the other one, 0.15g to 3g. I don’t know if the ratio is balanced, but I believe they will turn out really lovely after a few years.
I hate to say it but that clumping up does not look right. that's not the way musk grains behave.
 
I hate to say it but that clumping up does not look right. that's not the way musk grains behave.
It does behave that way sometimes for two reasons:
1. Very old pods, cut from mature deer long time ago, the musk grains get compacted into bean-shaped chunks that are incredibly hard to break apart.
2. Sometimes there’s connective tissue, almost like a web, in the middle of musk pods, this can grab ahold of musk grains around it. But this is only when it’s wet, when dried and ground they go away and you’re left with powder. I’ll share a picture
[Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
 
It does behave that way sometimes for two reasons:
1. Very old pods, cut from mature deer long time ago, the musk grains get compacted into bean-shaped chunks that are incredibly hard to break apart.
2. Sometimes there’s connective tissue, almost like a web, in the middle of musk pods, this can grab ahold of musk grains around it. But this is only when it’s wet, when dried and ground they go away and you’re left with powder. I’ll share a picture
View attachment 53116
interesting! I don't tinker much with the stuff so it's always good to learn from someone who's got their hands on! I've just never seen a picture posted by anyone here where the musk clumped up into little waxy lumps in the bottom. Anything is possible I guess! those look normal to you?
 
Last edited:
It does behave that way sometimes for two reasons:
1. Very old pods, cut from mature deer long time ago, the musk grains get compacted into bean-shaped chunks that are incredibly hard to break apart.
2. Sometimes there’s connective tissue, almost like a web, in the middle of musk pods, this can grab ahold of musk grains around it. But this is only when it’s wet, when dried and ground they go away and you’re left with powder. I’ll share a picture
View attachment 53116
I'm quite certain... I obtained these musk grains from a musk sac. Although I'm not sure if the sac had been tampered with, the grains I took out were indeed paste-like.
 
You scared me.

You scared me.😂
Definitely looks different than what I'm used to seeing here, hope you got the real deal. 🙂
 
I'm quite certain... I obtained these musk grains from a musk sac. Although I'm not sure if the sac had been tampered with, the grains I took out were indeed paste-like.
If the grains had a high enough water content to still be pasty, then that I am guessing would prevent them from dispersing / mixing with the oil (since oil and water are not miscible).
 
in a situation like this, is it desirable to try to eliminate the water?
 
in a situation like this, is it desirable to try to eliminate the water?
It is, by all metrics desirable unless you’re a seller and want to get more money, in that case wet musk is better to sell because essentially you’re selling half its weight in water.
But the problem is, the methods used to dry it also cause the high frequency bright musk top notes to go away, along with the curious scent which I personally like to an extent.
So if there’s a way to dry it, while preserving those scents, let me know please, and I’ll post my findings here as well.
 
It is, by all metrics desirable unless you’re a seller and want to get more money, in that case wet musk is better to sell because essentially you’re selling half its weight in water.
But the problem is, the methods used to dry it also cause the high frequency bright musk top notes to go away, along with the curious scent which I personally like to an extent.
So if there’s a way to dry it, while preserving those scents, let me know please, and I’ll post my findings here as well.
It seems that the best way I know of is to dry the musk while it’s still in its pod…
 
It is, by all metrics desirable unless you’re a seller and want to get more money, in that case wet musk is better to sell because essentially you’re selling half its weight in water.
But the problem is, the methods used to dry it also cause the high frequency bright musk top notes to go away, along with the curious scent which I personally like to an extent.
So if there’s a way to dry it, while preserving those scents, let me know please, and I’ll post my findings here as well.

I suppose freeze drying it would be one way!
 
Maybe it does work the same with musk pods but i made a driing chamber at room temperature with a litter of dessicant ( silicate or else), a sreen on top and i dried castoreum in the sac on top of the sceen. Going for a faster driing time ( so less time for top note to be lost) and low temp.
It could even be perfected of puting the setup in a freezer for lower temp.
 
Last edited:
Maybe it does nork the same with musk pods but i made a driing chamber a room temperature with a litter of dessicant ( silicate or else), a sreen on top and i dried castoreum in the sac on top of the sceen. Going for a faster driing time ( so less time for top note to be lost) and low temp.
It could even be perfected of puting the setup in a freezer for lower temp.
Did that too, it does preserve the smell but takes quite a long time. Did you put a lot of desiccant?
 
Back
Top