Here is what I calculate to be 7% clean, dry Siberian grains in Yusa Patchouli Cola.

Started today. Let’s see what happens.
View attachment 52158
Not sure were covered this in this thread but keep close eye on this one, usually you want about 20% or 30% empty space in the bottle your doing the maceration in with dry grains. If they were already bloomed, as I refer to them when they've been used once, you don't have to give that much room, but I've had many which have overflowed as the process went on.

As @mesOUD mentioned when storing a freshly distilled oil, you need some room at the top, barely any room is not ideal, nor is greater than 50% (just my opinion) in that case to let the oil breath, and in this case to let the Musk grains expand and mingle with the oil, and become fluffy and dispersed in the bottle.

Edit: I also highly recommend in addition to the space, to heat up the oil, prior to adding them, but no worries if you've added them already, you can gently heat up the bottle, I place it near a heating vent, when I know it won't be on full blast but a comfortable temp. Do this often and also shake to your heart's desire!
 
Last edited:
Here is what I calculate to be 7% clean, dry Siberian grains in Yusa Patchouli Cola.

Started today. Let’s see what happens.
View attachment 52158
You are in for a treat! I was doubtful of this combo at first because I didn’t want to alter my patchouli cola but I had some grains burning a hole in my pocket so I went for it and it might be one of my better decisions. I made chocolate truffles recently and this reminds me of that, it has characteristics of both dark chocolate with cream and raw cocoa. Plus what was already there in that already special patchouli. Patchouli is already one of my top three materials and fills me with a sense of comfot and well being. Good patchouli with musk in it has a round golden core to me and an almost spiritual quality. I hope you love it as much as I do. Can’t wait to hear how it progresses.
 
Not sure were covered this in this thread but keep close eye on this one, usually you want about 20% or 30% empty space in the bottle your doing the maceration in with dry grains. If they were already bloomed, as I refer to them when they've been used once, you don't have to give that much room, but I've had many which have overflowed as the process went on.

As @mesOUD mentioned when storing a freshly distilled oil, you need some room at the top, barely any room is not ideal, nor is greater than 50% (just my opinion) in that case to let the oil breath, and in this case to let the Musk grains expand and mingle with the oil, and become fluffy and dispersed in the bottle.

Edit: I also highly recommend in addition to the space, to heat up the oil, prior to adding them, but no worries if you've added them already, you can gently heat up the bottle, I place it near a heating vent, when I know it won't be on full blast but a comfortable temp. Do this often and also shake to your heart's desire!
Thanks, mate! I will definitely take your advice especially regarding the headroom.
 
That will be a treat. I haven't smelled that particular patchouly or musk, and I have no idea if it's the best use of musk or not, but I think it's a killer combination based on @Goodness Nose 's infusion.
This patchouli is just amazing, and for the price you should definitely get some if it's still available.
 
You think Kyrgyzstan musk would be better with its bitter green earthy profileb
I didn’t even know there was Kyrgyz musk! It sounds beautiful. Heres my thought, which could be wrong: Patchouli Cola has such a clear overall tone that I would think an equally clear, uplifting musk would do well.

Essential Oil Apothecary has a Java patchouli with a green cognac profile and I wonder what doubling down on the green facets with a bitter, green musk would do to it. (I have ambergris and Siberian grains in that now). The Javan is a dark smelling oil and the scent is just getting darker and more opaque.

I’m a little crazy for that musk patchouli combo and personally I don’t think you can go wrong. It might just be a matter of good, better, or best.

Id be really curious to hear what insight Oudique and Al Shareef have since both have made recent patchouli musk macerations. (Especially since at least one of the Oudique has ones have patch cola). I’m just an amateur following what makes me happy. Hearing from far more experienced people of how they assess these materials would be a joy and a blessing.
 
Last edited:
I didn’t even know there was Kyrgyz musk! It sounds beautiful. Heres my thought, which could be wrong: Patchouli Cola has such a clear overall tone that I would think an equally clear, uplifting musk would do well.

Essential Oil Apothecary has a Java patchouli with a green cognac profile and I wonder what doubling down on the green facets with a bitter, green musk would do to it. (I have ambergris and Siberian grains in that now). The Javan is a dark smelling oil and just getting darker and more opaque.

I’m a little crazy for that musk patchouli combo and personally I don’t think you can go wrong. It might just be a matter of good, better, or best.

Id be really curious to hear what insight Oudique and Al Shareef have since both have made recent patchouli musk macerations. (Especially since at least one of the Oudique has ones have patch cola). I’m just an amateur following what makes me happy. Hearing from far more experienced people of how they assess these materials would be a joy and a blessing.
Kyrgyzstan musk to me is almost a middle ground between Siberian, Mongolian and Kashmiri. It shares facets with all of them, it’s animalic but not too urinary , has dark cacao notes, deep green notes, not too “relaxing”.
I was thinking about using just Mongolian grains but now I’m thinking otherwise. Maybe a mix of both.

I have some kyrg musk in Javan patchouli (light fraction) and the patchouli is still very dominant even at 10% musk. But Patch cola isn’t a light fraction so it might interact differently.
I’ll do a test batch tomorrow and update when I remember. I’ll do 10% kyrg musk for now.
 
Kyrgyzstan musk to me is almost a middle ground between Siberian, Mongolian and Kashmiri. It shares facets with all of them, it’s animalic but not too urinary , has dark cacao notes, deep green notes, not too “relaxing”.
I was thinking about using just Mongolian grains but now I’m thinking otherwise. Maybe a mix of both.

I have some kyrg musk in Javan patchouli (light fraction) and the patchouli is still very dominant even at 10% musk. But Patch cola isn’t a light fraction so it might interact differently.
I’ll do a test batch tomorrow and update when I remember. I’ll do 10% kyrg musk for now.
I broke down and had to try the tiniest dot of my patchouli cola last night and wow! So beautiful already. It seems to be eating the musk up quite aggressively. Already taking on a lot of color and the scent is sublime. I just tried my dark Javan with ambergris and ended up adding more musk. That one just becomes more and more intense.. It’s intensely green and dark. Like a bitter green dark chocolate with fresh dug roots and intensely spiced woods. It’s a bit of a shock how differently theyre both reacting.
 
Here is my 25% Siberian in Habz Fawz and Yusa 1995 Mysore

We are just shy of the 7-month mark. The plan was to macerate for 9 months, but I couldn’t resist a swipe today. It’s showing a nice balance of chocolatey and animalic facets: cocoa powder and horsebox. The sandal still makes its presence felt via a note of white lumber, but much of the rest is subsumed into the musk.

[Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc


The 7% Siberian in Yusa Patchouli Cola is now one month old.

This is starting to do interesting things - I don’t recognise typical, overt musk notes here, but it does seem to be changing in more subtle ways. I took a small dot on one knuckle, and a dot of neat Patchouli Cola on another. Some of the top notes and brightness of the neat patch are now toned down in the maceration, and it’s starting to take on a deeper, earthier aspect. I feel like the musk fixes the patch and makes it last much longer on skin. We’ll see how it develops.

[Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
 
he sandal still makes its presence felt via a note of white lumber,
this happens with mysore, any idea how to remedy it? or do you like it?
the only mysore that doesnt have that quality is Fraterworks' mysore signature, it pretty much smells like nothing, i thought i was scammed lol
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
this happens with mysore, any idea how to remedy it? or do you like it?
the only mysore that doesnt have that quality is Fraterworks' mysore signature, it pretty much smells like nothing, i thought i was scammed lol
Thanks for letting me know. At one point I was tempted to try their sandalwood, but I go to the best now.
 
this happens with mysore, any idea how to remedy it? or do you like it?
the only mysore that doesnt have that quality is Fraterworks' mysore signature, it pretty much smells like nothing, i thought i was scammed lol
Mr. P. said he wasn’t particularly impressed with the Fraterworks, either, but I happen to like it - possibly a batch variation issue. The gram I received has a yogurty, lemony, acidic tang and is really quite nice - similar quality to what I’ve had from our artisans.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
Mr. P. said he wasn’t particularly impressed with the Fraterworks, either, but I happen to like it - possibly a batch variation issue. The gram I received has a yogurty, lemony, acidic tang and is really quite nice - similar quality to what I’ve had from our artisans.
The profile is good, it's just very mild. My sample smells like a mixture of very mild plantation and maybe a little bit of higher quality oil. I actually think that aroma shows it was carefully selected by someone with a good nose, but it's just not pronounced enough to scratch the itch for me.
 
Mr. P. said he wasn’t particularly impressed with the Fraterworks, either, but I happen to like it - possibly a batch variation issue. The gram I received has a yogurty, lemony, acidic tang and is really quite nice - similar quality to what I’ve had from our artisans.
Then I think they sent me TEC by mistake, mine barely smells like anything .
I now use it as a very, very expensive carrier oil.
 
Then I think they sent me TEC by mistake, mine barely smells like anything .
I now use it as a very, very expensive carrier oil.
It really does not live up to the product description, that is for sure.
 
  • Sad
Reactions: Joe
The profile is good, it's just very mild. My sample smells like a mixture of very mild plantation and maybe a little bit of higher quality oil. I actually think that aroma shows it was carefully selected by someone with a good nose, but it's just not pronounced enough to scratch the itch for me.
The fact that you and Saud had less-than-satisfactory experiences makes me not want to buy it again in case I get a dud batch or something diluted the second time round.

Here’s another weird thing: I bought a small amount of Sandalore so I could study its aroma. The stuff Fraterworks sent me has almost no aroma at all (even if I try to swipe it neat) and it has an expiry date of this month. Seems strange for an aroma chemical…I thought those things were extremely potent.

I have to say the other naturals they sent are good - the Bulgarian rose probably ranks in the top half of roses I have, and the blackcurrant bud absolute is hella stanky - no idea how I’m going to use that, but I’m glad I got it.
 
The fact that you and Saud had less-than-satisfactory experiences makes me not want to buy it again in case I get a dud batch or something diluted the second time round.

Here’s another weird thing: I bought a small amount of Sandalore so I could study its aroma. The stuff Fraterworks sent me has almost no aroma at all (even if I try to swipe it neat) and it has an expiry date of this month. Seems strange for an aroma chemical…I thought those things were extremely potent.

I have to say the other naturals they sent are good - the Bulgarian rose probably ranks in the top half of roses I have, and the blackcurrant bud absolute is hella stanky - no idea how I’m going to use that, but I’m glad I got it.

He has got great materials for sure, right now the only guy offering retail sales of oils from Floral Concept, Capua, MANE. And a better selection of things from Payan Bertrand, LMR, Robertet etc than just about anyone else. would kill to have a US source of some of these.
 
Back
Top