This is my Siberian Musk grain in Mysore Sandalwood oil, the age is almost 9 years (August 2016) .
The ratio is 28% musk grain (don’t ask me why 28% , simply because that’s all what I have oil at that time 🤣🤣🤣)
The colour is very dark red (you can’t see through) please have a look at the picture with the red dot 🔴, this flash light is extremely bright to the point that you can’t look straight to it.
The smell:
Very potent,very animatic animatic and more animatic ( I have musk grain in natural form and the oil is much stronger than the grain) , for the first maybe half an hour you can’t smell any sandalwood just the musk , after that the sandalwood emerges and the smell get more exciting more rounded.
To be honest I wouldn’t wear it in public but I do wear it at home and I looooove it (my wife loves it too) .
I use some of this oil for my blends and surely it does the magic by adding the third dimension to the blends.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_4646.webp
    157 KB · Views: 186
  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_4647.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 158
Wow

Why not decant it and dilute a little bit in sandalwood oil? Half and half. You’d end up with an already mature 14% maceration
I do use some of it from time to time for blends , but I love to use it as is ( I got addicted😵‍💫) one hand is old school Hindi Oud and the other hand very animalic musk and (I feel really sorry for my wife 🤣).
No I am not that bad , when I wear these usually when I’m alone reading.
 
Wait till you smell civet 😂😂
What is Civet ?!!!
Just kidding ,
If you’re talking about civet tincture then I would say: I love it specially when it’s aged well and I made my own.
And if you’re talking about civet paste ? That’s a deferent animal !!
I remember years ago when first time I made my own civet tincture and my wife almost kicked me out of the house 🤣when I opened the container of the civet paste ( I think I have a post here somewhere).
My friend I tried almost every stinky tincture and I handled them all except Skunk tincture, I couldn’t handle that one and I threw it away before I’ll get divorce 🤣
 
Last edited:
This definitely my love:
K. Musk grain in Mysoru (Imperial Oud)
Beyond my ability to describe it !!!!
The bad news is:
My wife felt in love with it and it’s hers now 🤣. And this is the only one I have.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_4676.webp
    115.9 KB · Views: 156
I started this off two days ago @ 25% cleaned Siberian grains by weight in about 2g of Fawz by Habzoud topped up with about 0.5g of Yusa’s 1995 vintage Mysore.

It’s already starting to smell like musk even after 2 days. 😵‍💫

Question to the experienced noses - would you recommend topping the bottle up with more Mysore now, or is it a good idea to leave the present amount of headroom in the bottle?
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_1027.webp
    38.6 KB · Views: 132
Leave headroom. Allows some space for thermal expansion on warm days so you don't get leakage.
 
Macerating Tibetan musk with:

Badshah from Sulaym - 10%
Kodai Ka Malaysian from Oudlab 20%
Arsalan Hindi from ASO 15%
Rakheem ASO 20%
Qandahar 2.1 ASO 10%

Macerating Mongolian:
Badshah Sulaym 10%
Oud Said Mesoud 20% (with ambergris)
SQ Jasmine from Sulaym 20%

Musk should only be macerated with the best
 
Macerating Tibetan musk with:

Badshah from Sulaym - 10%
Kodai Ka Malaysian from Oudlab 20%
Arsalan Hindi from ASO 15%
Rakheem ASO 20%
Qandahar 2.1 ASO 10%

Macerating Mongolian:
Badshah Sulaym 10%
Oud Said Mesoud 20% (with ambergris)
SQ Jasmine from Sulaym 20%

Musk should only be macerated with the best
Holy moly these types of no compromise musk - oud macerations have got to be fantastic.
 
We will find out. Just started a few months ago. Sandalwood for me dominates too much. Given the beauty of Yaqoot and Zumurrud, to me Oud and musk is the best.
Sandalwood is about the heaviest olfactory blanket out there... it's not to be trifled with especially when combining it with any kind of precious ingredient. I too like the idea of macerating musk into something that exalts and harmonizes with its top notes instead of suppressing them.

At one point I pretty much categorically thought that sandalwood was the wrong way to go for musk (i'm not ashamed of my sophomoric stage, everybody has to go through that lol) but that has changed in light of a couple of very strong infusions that I smelled. I think if you're really going heavy on the musk, it can balance out with Sandalwood in a compelling way. @Goodness Nose sent me a sample of this absurdly oversaturated musk-sandalwood infusion and that was just amazing, so much more enjoyable than the one that I made myself where I was less generous with the musk and the sandalwood just damped it down to a fuzzy muted dark chocolate / mushroom kind of accord
 
I started this off two days ago @ 25% cleaned Siberian grains by weight in about 2g of Fawz by Habzoud topped up with about 0.5g of Yusa’s 1995 vintage Mysore.

It’s already starting to smell like musk even after 2 days. 😵‍💫

Question to the experienced noses - would you recommend topping the bottle up with more Mysore now, or is it a good idea to leave the present amount of headroom in the bottle?
This will turn out really nicely! I made this exact maceration in late November to early December 2023, adding along to it some Jasmine Sambac CO2, about 0.25 g, realistically only using about half or two thirds because of how dense the material was, and difficult to fully get out of the container.

I stared it in a half tola bottle though to give it loads of room, but when I shook it later, nearer to the end of the fermentation period, it would almost turn into a slurry, so I added another quarter tola of Fawz. I feel there's less risk of it bubbling over after it's been fermenting for a while, but at the start I do give it a lot of room. It continues to be wonderful, there's almost a tropical nuance I get from this, it's strange but also incredibly beautiful.
 
This will turn out really nicely! I made this exact maceration in late November to early December 2023, adding along to it some Jasmine Sambac CO2, about 0.25 g, realistically only using about half or two thirds because of how dense the material was, and difficult to fully get out of the container.

I stared it in a half tola bottle though to give it loads of room, but when I shook it later, nearer to the end of the fermentation period, it would almost turn into a slurry, so I added another quarter tola of Fawz. I feel there's less risk of it bubbling over after it's been fermenting for a while, but at the start I do give it a lot of room. It continues to be wonderful, there's almost a tropical nuance I get from this, it's strange but also incredibly beautiful.
That’s amazing info - thank you so much. I hadn’t counted on it fermenting though. That kind of worries me - I don’t want it to pop and spill everywhere 😅. I am definitely a noob at this, so all tips gratefully appreciated.
 
That’s amazing info - thank you so much. I hadn’t counted on it fermenting though. That kind of worries me - I don’t want it to pop and spill everywhere 😅. I am definitely a noob at this, so all tips gratefully appreciated.
I think fermentation is not an issue unless the musk is saturated with water. Wet things will have bacterial growth when submerged in oil but not dry.
 
That’s amazing info - thank you so much. I hadn’t counted on it fermenting though. That kind of worries me - I don’t want it to pop and spill everywhere 😅. I am definitely a noob at this, so all tips gratefully appreciated.
I think fermentation is not an issue unless the musk is saturated with water. Wet things will have bacterial growth when submerged in oil but not dry.
It won't be like a kombucha batch that's for sure, so you needn't be worried :Laugh:

I'm using the word very loosely, it is maceration in actuality. I've been watching a lot of Arabic Youtube and they use a word which is close to what you might call "proofing" if you're from the baking world. I personally am not sure what it is, because I've always been told you have to start the maceration by heating either the oud oil or the sandalwood oil, very slightly or leaving the top of the bottle off, and that's how I've done my macerations. So there's some context about the word I used, but @OudhJourney had great experience without doing that, so maybe it's completely unnecessary.

I have heard that people in hotter climates find their macerations to mature faster so it makes me think the hot water baths some people give their macerations regularly might be important. Again things I've heard and how I think about the process as opposed to what actually might be going on here.

Edit: Has anyone noticed after adding musk and waiting a while, the viscosity of the oud oil as gone down? That or I'm just imaging things
 
Last edited:
Back
Top