[Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc

Laos + Cambodian oud
Siberian and Mongolia musk + ambergris
Around 8 months old by now
Smells like pure diesel mixed with marmalade and cherry liquor
 
precious stuff you've got there. 🙂
the fresh semi wet grains gave it that powdery furry warm scent im looking for, but it still needs time, and maybe some airing, as the green woody note of the sandalwood is still very much there despite the high concentration of musk.
 
the fresh semi wet grains gave it that powdery furry warm scent im looking for, but it still needs time, and maybe some airing, as the green woody note of the sandalwood is still very much there despite the high concentration of musk.

I am sure it has a very soothing aroma, and could be a wonderful ingredient as well in perfumes or attars. I'm sure that with a bit of choice Rose absolute dissolved in it would be a treat!

I also feel like Rose/ violet leaf/ sandalwood/ musk/ cassie is a good place to dabble, using caution with the violet and cassie. I don't have any experience with musk based fragrance but I've just picked up this association from reading about perfumes and related mixes of my own
 
I have a practical question about macerating musk and rose. I'm not a big fan of rose; I only have a tiny amount of Bulgarian rose that I've never really warmed to, so I've never sought to explore rose further. But I'm still curious to see the effect of musk infused in rose oil.
However, rose oil, especially during this cold season, is in solid form, and I wanted to know if, after adding musk, the maceration will develop properly despite its solid state ?
I know that maceration needs to be shaken regularly to ensure that the grains are well dispersed in the oil, but since the rose will be in solid form, will this slow down the maceration process?
 
I have a practical question about macerating musk and rose. I'm not a big fan of rose; I only have a tiny amount of Bulgarian rose that I've never really warmed to, so I've never sought to explore rose further. But I'm still curious to see the effect of musk infused in rose oil.
However, rose oil, especially during this cold season, is in solid form, and I wanted to know if, after adding musk, the maceration will develop properly despite its solid state ?
I know that maceration needs to be shaken regularly to ensure that the grains are well dispersed in the oil, but since the rose will be in solid form, will this slow down the maceration process?
Have you tried Rose absolute? This is a solvent extract as opposed to a distillate. Typically they are a rich red color, have a softer sweeter aroma, and are less likely to solidify when it cools off a little bit.
 
I have a practical question about macerating musk and rose. I'm not a big fan of rose; I only have a tiny amount of Bulgarian rose that I've never really warmed to, so I've never sought to explore rose further. But I'm still curious to see the effect of musk infused in rose oil.
However, rose oil, especially during this cold season, is in solid form, and I wanted to know if, after adding musk, the maceration will develop properly despite its solid state ?
I know that maceration needs to be shaken regularly to ensure that the grains are well dispersed in the oil, but since the rose will be in solid form, will this slow down the maceration process?
When rose is mixed in with other oils it tends not to go solid ans when accompanied by musk grains remains fluid. Just the smallest amount of body heat usually loosens up the rose. Like you I am not a lover or wasn't a lover of rose oil but in two of the mixes I have presently, I find it to be completely different.
One important point....the smallest amount of rose can still over power the hardiest of musk scents, so be careful.
 
When rose is mixed in with other oils it tends not to go solid ans when accompanied by musk grains remains fluid. Just the smallest amount of body heat usually loosens up the rose. Like you I am not a lover or wasn't a lover of rose oil but in two of the mixes I have presently, I find it to be completely different.
One important point....the smallest amount of rose can still over power the hardiest of musk scents, so be careful.
And choose your rose oils carefully! The best are so much better than the worst. it's also worth noting the remarkable difference between Rose absolute and Rose otto - something I was looking at a short while ago and which this post reminded me of.

check out these GCMS reports showing Eden's rose otto and rose absolute. These reports are mostly over my head, but notice one particular component: phenyl ethyl alcohol (PEA) which I highlighted. This chemical gives a classic full rich sweet dewy honey aquatic rose aroma very true to the flower.

The magnitude of the number following each compound gives you some indication of its prevalence in the mixture.

PEA is by far the greatest component of rose absolute and almost 10 times more abundant than the next most abundant component! Yet in the rose otto, there is hardly any at all - and there is 10 times more geraniol than there is PEA!

These two materials (absolute and otto) are chemically completely different from one another (in terms of the ratios of the components), and the only way to get a full Rose smell is to mix the two...

if you ever are curious, purchase a sample of PEA natural isolate, it doesn't come from Rose is extracted from some other plant but it's wonderful stuff and will help you to understand Rose absolute.

(the reason why Rose essential oil has so little PEA is because it's distilled over water, and PEA is also water soluble and in that case it all ends up in the rosewater).
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_2589.webp
    150.1 KB · Views: 49
  • [Ouddict.com] Musk Maceration Pics ; Please Include Region ,ratios,etc
    IMG_2588.webp
    57.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
…and to add to what Mr. p said, rose absolute is even more powerful than rose otto.

Assuming you don’t know any of this: You can wear rose otto/oil neat and it will open up on your skin and become a bright cloud that surrounds you. I had to go sniff the one rose absolute I have on hand just now. On a scent strip it’s the most pristine, effervescent, almost ethereal rose de mai. From the bottle or on the skin it’s dense and closed off with undertones of chocolate brownie mix and thick, waxy rose. It really has to be diluted in another material to even get a sense of what it smells like. I’ve been sitting on 2ml of it the last few months trying to decide what to put it in.

That said, rose and musk is almost heaven, almost. That honor goes to rose and oud where musk becomes the choir of angels. Or maybe better: rose, musk and sandalwood is heaven with singing angels and rose, oud, musk is heaven but you get to sing along with the angels.
 
Have you tried Rose absolute? This is a solvent extract as opposed to a distillate. Typically they are a rich red color, have a softer sweeter aroma, and are less likely to solidify when it cools off a little bit.
I already bought some rose absolute, but I didn't like that either 😕
When I smelled it, it immediately reminded me of the smell of mosquito repellent 😂

In the end, I don't know if this absolute was of good quality, but it definitely put an end to my search for rose
 
When rose is mixed in with other oils it tends not to go solid ans when accompanied by musk grains remains fluid. Just the smallest amount of body heat usually loosens up the rose. Like you I am not a lover or wasn't a lover of rose oil but in two of the mixes I have presently, I find it to be completely different.
One important point....the smallest amount of rose can still over power the hardiest of musk scents, so be careful.
Thank you for your insight. My goal here is to make a small maceration of rose and musk only.

Here, the musk is not intended to be highlighted, but rather to see its effect on the rose, to see if it is significant and if it can help me appreciate the rose more.
 
I already bought some rose absolute, but I didn't like that either 😕
When I smelled it, it immediately reminded me of the smell of mosquito repellent 😂

In the end, I don't know if this absolute was of good quality, but it definitely put an end to my search for rose
The first time I opened a 3 ml bottle of Bulgarian rose Otto from NinjaRob, it immediately put a smile on my face. I was completely blown away with its sweet yet citrusy, complex aroma. One thing I was certain: I was in love with rose Otto in the very first sniff. To the point that I purchased 4 different types of roses from a Turkish resident artisan. And then rose absolute was not impressive, although it has its own charm (thick, honeyed profile but with some unwanted smell due to more aggressive extraction method).

I macerated Mongolian musk in Bulgarian rose Otto. I am glad I did that, cause, it’s the best maceration I got from 2 types of musk.

If you are not a fan of rose absolute, try rose otto. Especially the Bulgarian one. If you prefer citrusy smell, try Irani kashan rose. People say, Taif rose (citrusy) is the best, and it’s a rare find. My next venture is Taif rose, Crimean rose, and Moldovan rose (obviously all Otto).
I am sure you’ll find a rose that you’ll like. Cause, it’s a heavenly thing.
 
Last edited:
Thank you for your insight. My goal here is to make a small maceration of rose and musk only.

Here, the musk is not intended to be highlighted, but rather to see its effect on the rose, to see if it is significant and if it can help me appreciate the rose more.
I have a Siberian musk Kashan rose maceration I’ve been sitting on for a while, I think I posted a photo in this thread.
To this day, the musk and rose are still fighting, I don’t know how but it smells like the rose is too much and more musk is needed but at the same time it smells too musky, that’s why I like to dilute it in sandalwood it becomes so much more wearable.
It still crystallizes even at 22c, has a nice rich cherry rouge color, clear when liquid with musk sitting at the bottom, and cloudy when frozen.
 
Back
Top