Thanks, I'll give them a shot. I believe they sell for decent rates for bulk, and they tend to be a good vendor and supply gcms and data to back up their products iirc. Just bought myself 2x 750ml oak barrels for experimentation, though one may get some libations for a quick oaking.. you know, just to break it in or something. 😀
Whiskey or rum or whatever might help. Are the barrels charred? I watched a really long video on a whiskey distillery and they went into the coopering pretty in depth. I don’t remember what all they did but I think the char played a role beyond just flavor. I think it helps filter and speeds up Maillard reaction but also keeps the barrel watertight.
 
Are the barrels charred?
Yes, medium/mediumplus char. Not much info out there on patchouli barrel aging specifically, so it's just a bit of a guess which would yield better results 😀 Could end up being a gimmick all together. Closest analog is camel kuppi aging, same semi-permeable oxidation/evaporation, just leather notes added vs oak notes. And of course, whiskey is done in a 50gal for best vol:surface area ratio, but that kinda goes out the door for patch. (this means if i toss in a rum/whiskey, it'll age rapidly.. but not get depth of a proper ratio barrel.. generally seen as kinda janky way to do it that young distilleries sometimes attempt to bring things to market quicker). But i can rationalize 750ml of patch experiment, but not 50gallons 😉. I hadn't considered rum, that might be interesting, thanks for the idea!
 
Yes, medium/mediumplus char. Not much info out there on patchouli barrel aging specifically, so it's just a bit of a guess which would yield better results 😀 Could end up being a gimmick all together. Closest analog is camel kuppi aging, same semi-permeable oxidation/evaporation, just leather notes added vs oak notes. And of course, whiskey is done in a 50gal for best vol:surface area ratio, but that kinda goes out the door for patch. (this means if i toss in a rum/whiskey, it'll age rapidly.. but not get depth of a proper ratio barrel.. generally seen as kinda janky way to do it that young distilleries sometimes attempt to bring things to market quicker). But i can rationalize 750ml of patch experiment, but not 50gallons 😉. I hadn't considered rum, that might be interesting, thanks for the idea!
perhaps vintage oak barrel aged patchouli is the next material to break through to oud covetability! seems like a good idea if you've got the resources and good patchouli is not too expensive in bulk. I remember like 20 (30?) years ago thinking it was so weird that there were ZERO small batch artisanal sandalwood oils with grandiose (sometimes well deserved!) stories behind them and prices to match. I'm going to say skillfully aged patchouli is next up for 20+ dollars per gram, which is why I will never sell my aged stash in any nonemergency circumstance because it's replacement value will quickly become beyond my means.
 
vintage oak barrel aged patchouli is the next material to break through to oud covetability!
Haha, well it'll never be oud level, nor do i have any desire to be a vendor. However, they don't make barrels any smaller, and as you say, yes patch in bulk can be found very reasonably (wouldnt invest in artisan tier for an experiment at 750ml, but also not bottom barrel). Seems interesting enough of a project for medium/low investment. Nonzero chance i find the barrel in the basement in a few years and wonder 'oh man, i totally forgot about this, what was i thinking' 😀. Who knows, could smell amazing, it'll at least accelerate the oxidation/aging in a controlled manner, and should add some interesting facets. break it out once a year and smell it/take aliquots, give me something to do, keep me off the streets

Now i just gotta figure out the right patch to start with :hmm:
 
Last edited:
Haha, well it'll never be oud level, nor do i have any desire to be a vendor. However, they don't make barrels any smaller, and as you say, yes patch in bulk can be found very reasonably (wouldnt invest in artisan tier for an experiment at 750ml, but also not bottom barrel). Seems interesting enough of a project for medium/low investment. Nonzero chance i find the barrel in the basement in a few years and wonder 'oh man, i totally forgot about this, what was i thinking' 😀. Who knows, could smell amazing, it'll at least accelerate the oxidation/aging in a controlled manner, and should add some interesting facets. break it out once a year and smell it/take aliquots, give me something to do, keep me off the streets

Now i just gotta figure out the right patch to start with :hmm:

I think it is a GREAT idea. I would encourage anybody to do it not because they themselves might be interested in selling it but just because they don't want to have to be trying to buy it later on.

The main piece of advice I would send back through time to my younger self would be to invest a little more heavily in the things that my instinct told me we were of good quality and well priced. I don't mean buying a few more bottles of super expensive stuff I mean doubling down on those things that felt like something really good at a competitive contemporary price as a kind of investment

I would've purchased a few lemons for sure because it takes a long time to really get the QC figured out for such a wide spectrum of materials when considering everything that is in front of you when you're learning… but looking back at it now, there were things where I should've tried to get family to invest with me, or gone a little more out of my way to acquire it because it would've been a great investment for my own enjoyment, to be able to make larger quantities of luxurious stuff, l as a source of money to spend (on more fragrant stuff I have smaller supplies of)
 
Last edited:
invest a little more heavily in the things that my instinct told me we were of good quality and well priced.
Right, that's the goal. Can't afford 750ml of cola patch or whatever (doubt theres 750ml in existance anyway at this point) as example, but I am certainly going through my collection to see if any stand out that i think may hold up long term and prob buy a few more samples before committing. problem is of course, im not really sure which aspects to look for that specifically get better with age, top notes drop off, depth kinda grows/changes.

Good advice to buy up when you find quality for reasonable, never looking back and thinking 'dang wish i had more of this'. At least for things that improve or at least stay neutral with age. Stockpiling neroli prob not a good idea 😉
 
Last edited:
Right, that's the goal. Can't afford 750ml of cola patch or whatever (doubt theres 750ml in existance anyway at this point) as example, but I am certainly going through my collection to see if any stand out that i think may hold up long term and prob buy a few more samples before committing. problem is of course, im not really sure which aspects to look for that specifically get better with age, top notes drop off, depth kinda grows/changes.

Good advice to buy up when you find quality for reasonable, never looking back and thinking 'dang wish i had more of this'. At least for things that improve or at least stay neutral with age. Stockpiling neroli prob not a good idea 😉
Cool you actually bought barrels. I use glass bottles with oak chips (French, plain). I know its a trade-off compared to barrels but at the time i could not find much confirmation that a barrel wouldn't start leaking and no info on how to prep a barrel before putting eo in..
 
Cool you actually bought barrels. I use glass bottles with oak chips (French, plain). I know its a trade-off compared to barrels but at the time i could not find much confirmation that a barrel wouldn't start leaking and no info on how to prep a barrel before putting eo in..
Don't see why it would be diff than for alcohol. Fill with water, staves swell and leaking stops, also clears out any loose char. Drain water, fill with material. The bands are sized so the staves can swell tight and not leak.

Whether it's much better than glass is def not settled science, and whether a barrel preused for rum or bourbon is better than fresh also unknown.

So fill with water to swell to size, drain, fill with rum, let it age (faster than full barrel, generally 1mo = 1yr equivalent vs 55 gal), so 1-3 no in barrel, drain, drink, fill with patch, then give it years or whatever

The thinking on barrel is it does breathe a little, minor o2 exchange and more evap for thicker patch vs oak in glass. But no real comparison or validation that I could find for patch specifically
 
Don't see why it would be diff than for alcohol. Fill with water, staves swell and leaking stops, also clears out any loose char. Drain water, fill with material. The bands are sized so the staves can swell tight and not leak.

Whether it's much better than glass is def not settled science, and whether a barrel preused for rum or bourbon is better than fresh also unknown.

So fill with water to swell to size, drain, fill with rum, let it age (faster than full barrel, generally 1mo = 1yr equivalent vs 55 gal), so 1-3 no in barrel, drain, drink, fill with patch, then give it years or whatever

The thinking on barrel is it does breathe a little, minor o2 exchange and more evap for thicker patch vs oak in glass. But no real comparison or validation that I could find for patch specifically
One of my concerns was that eo doesnt contain water to keep the staves swollen(?) and i could not find anything conclusive about it.
Another concern was excessive evaporation, but i found a tip to coat the outside with beeswax(?) but couldnt find confirmation.
Not saying these are issues, just stuff i worried about that kept me away from trying.
 
One of my concerns was that eo doesnt contain water to keep the staves swollen(?) and i could not find anything conclusive about it.
Another concern was excessive evaporation, but i found a tip to coat the outside with beeswax(?) but couldnt find confirmation.
Not saying these are issues, just stuff i worried about that kept me away from trying.
Thats good thinking, I hadn't considered that. Then maybe the move is not to pre-swell and only wax seal the seams to prevent leaks (pre-swell then wax will fail as the water evaps and gaps return to normal)

I suppose the move is still when I get it to see how leaky it is. Driving the bands inward may also help if the leaks are minor, though I can't imagine cheap 750ml barrels are made particularly precision (though likely higher grades do exist for such things)

Only way to work through it is to try 😉. I'll certainly keep ya appraised of my failures along the way

Another possibility is that as it over oxidizes in the leak areas it gets thick enough to self-dam, but I don't imagine I'd be so lucky
 
Thats good thinking, I hadn't considered that. Then maybe the move is not to pre-swell and only wax seal the seams to prevent leaks (pre-swell then wax will fail as the water evaps and gaps return to normal)

I suppose the move is still when I get it to see how leaky it is. Driving the bands inward may also help if the leaks are minor, though I can't imagine cheap 750ml barrels are made particularly precision (though likely higher grades do exist for such things)

Only way to work through it is to try 😉. I'll certainly keep ya appraised of my failures along the way

Another possibility is that as it over oxidizes in the leak areas it gets thick enough to self-dam, but I don't imagine I'd be so lucky
Or
Drain rum out and put patch in before barrel dries out
Then thoroughly seal outside with beeswax to keep moisture trapped in the wood ?
 
Or
Drain rum out and put patch in before barrel dries out
Then thoroughly seal outside with beeswax to keep moisture trapped in the wood ?
Possibly, but the water in the wood evaps out over years, hence the angel's share. Don't believe it's only through the seams, think it works its way through the whole wood til it hits the outside, but don't quote me on that. But I do want some level of evap/o2 permeation, even if miniscule. But maybe oils don't permeate no matter what I do. Def something I need to understand better, I'm sure there's a path forward.

Also gotta consider if the patch pulling moisture out of the wood as it hits equilibrium, may not, it's hydrophobic, but it's possible it'd dislodge it from wood over time via some mechanism.
 
Possibly, but the water in the wood evaps out over years, hence the angel's share. Don't believe it's only through the seams, think it works its way through the whole wood til it hits the outside, but don't quote me on that. But I do want some level of evap/o2 permeation, even if miniscule. But maybe oils don't permeate no matter what I do. Def something I need to understand better, I'm sure there's a path forward
Hm
Thinking outside the box now, using tiny barrels so one can do things the big guys can't

What would be wrong with putting the cute little barrel (Sheriff from dukes of Hazard voice) in a bucket of water for a day once every few months?
 
What would be wrong with putting the cute little barrel (Sheriff from dukes of Hazard voice) in a bucket of water for a day once every few months?
Smart! It's an option to keep in my back pocket. Issue would be it's less fire and forget. But I can set a recurring calendar event. Would need to see how often it needs it. Every 6 months? Sure. Every 1 month? Now it's a pet

Arduino automated mister like at the produce aisle, just go overkill with it
 
Last edited:
Smart! It's an option to keep in my back pocket. Issue would be it's less fire and forget. But I can set a recurring calendar event. Would need to see how often it needs it. Every 6 months? Sure. Every 1 month? Now it's a pet
You have to pet it anyway. The wood to liquid ratio being rather high (understatement intended) you need to check its scent if you dont want to end up with oak 'n rum oil.
I would figure that after 6-12 months max you need to transfer it to glass and then you can set and forget.
 
Now you're talking! 😁
Haha. Another option possibly, abandoning all novelty. If my goal is char + oak + woods micro oxygenation. A turned oak tube and stainless/gasketed end caps would not leak, still aerate, still char, but no seams to leak really, and can be done even in trivially small sizes. Very silly and impractical, but an option.
 
You have to pet it anyway. The wood to liquid ratio being rather high (understatement intended) you need to check its scent if you dont want to end up with oak 'n rum oil.
I would figure that after 6-12 months max you need to transfer it to glass and then you can set and forget.
You're right. I'm planning on monthly aliquots and adding marbles to reduce headspace, so it's getting babysat regardless.. I think given the numbers given by the apothecary site above (5l barrel, 20 year age) that a 750ml is more on order of 5 years corrected s/v, not 6-12 mo. No conventional alcohol worry of too much tannins, so it should extend/improve longer. But, figuring out if that's true is still a pet monitoring
 
Haha. Another option possibly, abandoning all novelty. If my goal is char + oak + woods micro oxygenation. A turned oak tube and stainless/gasketed end caps would not leak, still aerate, still char, but no seams to leak really, and can be done even in trivially small sizes. Very silly and impractical, but an option.
Apparently oak bottles exist too
To lazy to find a better link 😇
 
You're right. I'm planning on monthly aliquots and adding marbles to reduce headspace, so it's getting babysat regardless.. I think given the numbers given by the apothecary site above (5l barrel, 20 year age) that a 750ml is more on order of 5 years corrected s/v, not 6-12 mo. No conventional alcohol worry of too much tannins, so it should extend/improve longer. But, figuring out if that's true is still a pet monitoring
Youre right, 4y11mo calculator says.
Keeping the tiny barrel submerged in a larger bucket of water 🤔?
Put a lid on, refresh every 6mo while sampling the patch?
 
Top