I said before New Caledonian sandalwood would fit perfectly and it’s from the same region as Tongan. it’s not as thick as Indian or Indonesian, and has a thin airy fresh quality to it, and leaves a massive empty place for musk to fill.

Yes! New Caledonian has something similar going on doesn't it?

I just layered some Siberian with some typical Australian sandalwood. I find the combination pretty favorable. I feel like I perceive three layers of scent in musk. the Aussie oil reinforces layer #2 (as described below) whereas Indian primarily seems to reinforce layer #3

(I often wonder what others perceive... would love to hear your thoughts)

1. Light bright sparkling scintillating zinging high register notes. I notice these especially intensely where residue dries on the neck of a bottle of tincture.

2. Thick sweet syrupy animalic semi floral warm mid register notes - these are most intense shortly after the zinging high register notes diminish and are the most intense when straight tincture is applied to skin, really engage the nose as it were.

3. Dark musty musky heavy cocoa mushroom fur persistent low register notes
 
Last edited:
I have not and I don't have any grains to experiment with. I am almost 100% certain the outcome would be the same because the pure santalol is very similar to sandalwood and in my experience even traces of blander sandalwood will alter the musk to lose its top notes when layered on skin.

Also my source of biotech santalol dried up so for now it's back to sandalwood oil as a carrier for me.

here is something that you should take with a huge grain of salt unless you have enough musk to just experiment willy-nilly: some part of my brain is always telling me that Australian Sandalwood is the thing that musk wants to be macerated in. This is based on some limited experiences with layering scent. I don't really mess around much with animal musk so I never followed up on this, but if I were to do an experiment of musk in Sandalwood oil I would probably do it into some higher grade aussie spicatum oil - I feel like it's unique resinous notes could exalt the musk aroma in some way.
I'm currently doing this very thing with some left over Siberian grains and the premium Australian sandalwood oil from New Mountain. I'm only a few months in however just the other day I also added to that a couple of drops of a civet oil tincture I procured from Apothecary 's garden. It is already smelling amazing. This is one of those experiments where you throw together bits of ingredients you have left over so I don't know as yet where this will finish. I'm letting the maceration control the outcome. There will be oud and ambergris in there at some point.
 
I'm currently doing this very thing with some left over Siberian grains and the premium Australian sandalwood oil from New Mountain. I'm only a few months in however just the other day I also added to that a couple of drops of a civet oil tincture I procured from Apothecary 's garden. It is already smelling amazing. This is one of those experiments where you throw together bits of ingredients you have left over so I don't know as yet where this will finish. I'm letting the maceration control the outcome. There will be oud and ambergris in there at some point.
Sounds great. Fun to have a long term blending project like that
 
I said before New Caledonian sandalwood would fit perfectly and it’s from the same region as Tongan. it’s not as thick as Indian or Indonesian, and has a thin airy fresh quality to it, and leaves a massive empty place for musk to fill.
The Tongan maceration I did was approximately four years a go. It has such a refreshingly salty/sea almost blue main notes. The musk comes in waves unlike with other sandalwood I have used.
 
This is my "unknown" blend so far. I have Siberian musk grains. Australian sandalwood. I've just now added half a ml of Al-Hind Oud Fiet-nam, half a ml of a 5% white ambergris FC tincture. Two drops of a civet tincture, then 5 drops each of two samples I got from Mesoud a while ago. First one is ambergris and Mysore sandalwood and the second is Siberian musk and Mysore Sandalwood. Let's see how this goes for a while. Not sure if it's finished yet.
[Ouddict.com] Question regarding musk storage and maceration
 
Yes! New Caledonian has something similar going on doesn't it?

I just layered some Siberian with some typical Australian sandalwood. I find the combination pretty favorable. I feel like I perceive three layers of scent in musk. the Aussie oil reinforces layer #2 (as described below) whereas Indian primarily seems to reinforce layer #3

(I often wonder what others perceive... would love to hear your thoughts)

1. Light bright sparkling scintillating zinging high register notes. I notice these especially intensely where residue dries on the neck of a bottle of tincture.

2. Thick sweet syrupy animalic semi floral warm mid register notes - these are most intense shortly after the zinging high register notes diminish and are the most intense when straight tincture is applied to skin, really engage the nose as it were.

3. Dark musty musky heavy cocoa mushroom fur persistent low register notes
Those layers you described are perfectly accurate! That’s how I smell it too. Tincturing seems to bring out all the layers in balance. Indian sandalwood brings out the 3rd layer like you said but also a little bit from the 2nd.
My favorite is the 1st layer, I wish I could isolate it somehow, the only way I’ve been able to smell it is when I used a few grains of musk and around 4 drops of musk tincture in 3ml of Thai Trat oil. Sweet type ouds fit musk better IMO, but I feel Smokey ouds would be even better, I know there’s a lot of recommendations for Malaysian oud but everyone has a different taste, there’s “one fits most” and no “one fits all” maybe.
 
Those layers you described are perfectly accurate! That’s how I smell it too. Tincturing seems to bring out all the layers in balance. Indian sandalwood brings out the 3rd layer like you said but also a little bit from the 2nd.
My favorite is the 1st layer, I wish I could isolate it somehow, the only way I’ve been able to smell it is when I used a few grains of musk and around 4 drops of musk tincture in 3ml of Thai Trat oil. Sweet type ouds fit musk better IMO, but I feel Smokey ouds would be even better, I know there’s a lot of recommendations for Malaysian oud but everyone has a different taste, there’s “one fits most” and no “one fits all” maybe.
I agree 100% about that amazing first layer as well - very precious notes. I can only imagine what musk absolute or resinoid must have been like because it seems that alcohol is capable of extracting and concentrating that aroma to some degree.

Interesting about the Trat oil - sounds worth a try! The trat profile is transparent enough to let the musk shine through I would think.
 
Has anyone done a musk maceration in another oil other than sandalwood? If yes how is the end result?
Yes, it’s a thing. Mesoud has a really great musk rose attar that’s extremely beautiful. Look at Rai Munir instagram page for his Mosafir perfumes and attars. It’s like musk in everything. Orris, patchouli etc. I haven't done full macerations yet myself because I want to understand the scent profiles a little better. But, I’ve had amazing luck with combining others sandal/musk macerations with patchouli and also Mitti attar. So much so that I’ve been slowly collecting different patchouli and Mitti to do my own without the effects of the sandalwood which I can always add later if I want it. Funny enough my least favorite Mitti on its own is the best with the musk. Also, just dive into searching the archives on here about musk maceration and get ready to start taking notes.
 
Yes, it’s a thing. Mesoud has a really great musk rose attar that’s extremely beautiful. Look at Rai Munir instagram page for his Mosafir perfumes and attars. It’s like musk in everything. Orris, patchouli etc. I haven't done full macerations yet myself because I want to understand the scent profiles a little better. But, I’ve had amazing luck with combining others sandal/musk macerations with patchouli and also Mitti attar. So much so that I’ve been slowly collecting different patchouli and Mitti to do my own without the effects of the sandalwood which I can always add later if I want it. Funny enough my least favorite Mitti on its own is the best with the musk. Also, just dive into searching the archives on here about musk maceration and get ready to start taking notes.
Rai Munir has just sent me his oils, picking them up tomorrow can't wait
 
Top