Goodness Nose
True Ouddict
ive done some in patchouli and i would definitely do it again.Has anyone done a musk maceration in another oil other than sandalwood? If yes how is the end result?
ive done some in patchouli and i would definitely do it again.Has anyone done a musk maceration in another oil other than sandalwood? If yes how is the end result?
Did you do much in patchouli?ive done some in patchouli and i would definitely do it again.
Or put it on a heated mixing plate for a while. Heat makes stuff less viscous and can theoretically quicken extraction.I feel like with a very thick oil like that you'd have to kind of grind it all into a paste otherwise it would be very slow to extract.
That was my initial plan. I might try a small test amount in a small vile....thing is the patchouli is so beautiful a scent when so old, I really don't want to make a beautiful thing ugly....Or put it on a heated mixing plate for a while. Heat makes stuff less viscous and can theoretically quicken extraction.
AmazingA nice treat right there I would imagine....
That sounds very interesting.I might go with something like that...Thanks..I blended both Siberia and Mongolian Musk in green vetiver absolutely beautiful, smells like Oud.
Was it Indian vetiver or another region?@DubOudh clarification that's one tola of green vetiver with Siberia Musk and one tola with Mongolian Musk.
The Siberian Musk vetiver comes off smooth and animalistic while the Mongolian Musk vetiver comes off sweet gentle and floral with notes of Rose.
bout 30%Did you do much in patchouli?
I have a wonderful treakly viscous patchouli oil that is over forty years old and have been tempted to try some musk in it for experimentation but haven't done it so far.
Hmm, Bangladeshi to my nose smells more subtle and mild while Indian vetiver is more pungent. Wouldn’t it make more sense to do the opposite?@Saudalhajri the Siberian is Bangladeshi and the Mongolian is Indian.
Maybe it will smell good after it’s done macerating? Who knows!@Saudalhajri
It was just an experiment but now that you pulled my coat I'll try the Indian with Siberian Musk, thanks.
Very well written and simple to understand, straight to the point. Thanks a lot, saving this.How to Store Deer Musk Pods
- Keep them in a sealed glass jar (dark is best) at cool room temp (15–20°C / 59–68°F),
- keep away from light, heat, and moisture.
- Toss in silica gel to keep them dry, and don’t touch them with bare hands. (don't let silica gel touch pods)
- For long-term storage, vacuum-seal and freeze, but thaw slowly when needed.
- Open as little as possible to keep the scent strong.
About aging Sandalwood Oil
- don't add new oil to aged oil
- keep different aged oil in separate containers
How to Macerate & Store Deer Musk in Sandalwood Oil
- Use good sandalwood oil (I like royal organic Hawaiian)
- Ratio: Mix 5–20% deer musk in the oil, depending on how strong you want it.
- Store in a dark glass jar with airtight lid.
- Keep warm (25–30°C / 77–86°F) to help extraction.
- shake once a week.
- Let it sit for at least 6 months (longer = richer scent).
- Store in a cool, dark place after maceration.
- Open as little as possible to keep the scent fresh.
- Filter if you want to, but leaving the musk in lets it keep aging.