I applied a swipe of a sample called "Mysuru Private" from @AlHind Oud

It is so very nice. Some kind of instant nostalgia effect for me but not of any specific memory, just the sense of calm and connection with the past or something like that emerged as the broad warm dry woody landscape opened up on that first sniff. Beautiful crystal clear pale slightly yellow oil, same color as the very finest specimens in my collection.

I'm coming to realize that sandalwood that has really aggressive top notes (that is not a CO2 extract) is likely a high-heat and pressure distillation, or possibly distilled from partially oily shavings cut away from heartwood. All of my ambient Hydro distilled heartwood oils have this really nice dense smooth roundness, they can be very complex but it's not with sharp pungent or penetrating flashy accessory notes. instead it's like subtle shifting layers, that are perceived differently depending on the sniff and humidity and all of that; I get a slight medicinal dignified bitterness, something that I am beginning to see as I kind of signature of the @AlHind Oud sandalwoods. These super smooth heartwood hydro oils are fantastic.
 
Last edited:
One tree sandalwood from @AlHind Oud - great stuff, just getting acquainted with it. Right off the bat there is something special about this one. A certain warm almost maple-like sweetness I associate with finer quality hydro oils. Love it. Really very nice stuff wish I had a gallon.

Get some - you will be pleasantly surprised, this is good stuff!
 
Last edited:
I've been doubling down on the one tree from @AlHind Oud here. Definitely aligns with the quality that I have smelled from Anas, while also having its own signature that differs from that that comes from his own stills.

What made me return to this one today is a certain aspect to its top notes that are distinctive enough to put it into a separate category with a couple of other oils that I have experienced over the years. I don't know what variable explains this particular nuance, but it is a kind of soft warm presence backed by a maple and fenugreek adjacent aroma. It does not smell literally like those two but has a similar rich complex sweetness that is a facet of a garam masala type scent (I feel like Shoyeido plays on this in some of their sandalwoody incense like nanko if I remember correctly). I love this particular type of sandalwood oil, don't see it very often!
 
I've been doubling down on the one tree from @AlHind Oud here. Definitely aligns with the quality that I have smelled from Anas, while also having its own signature that differs from that that comes from his own stills.

What made me return to this one today is a certain aspect to its top notes that are distinctive enough to put it into a separate category with a couple of other oils that I have experienced over the years. I don't know what variable explains this particular nuance, but it is a kind of soft warm presence backed by a maple and fenugreek adjacent aroma. It does not smell literally like those two but has a similar rich complex sweetness that is a facet of a garam masala type scent (I feel like Shoyeido plays on this in some of their sandalwoody incense like nanko if I remember correctly). I love this particular type of sandalwood oil, don't see it very often!
Don’t hype it too much! 😉 Im broke and won’t have money for a few more weeks. I really don’t want to miss out on this one.
 
Don’t hype it too much! 😉 Im broke and won’t have money for a few more weeks. I really don’t want to miss out on this one.
I never should've told anybody about the super hoi an. I'm glad if that directed some cash to imperial oud - but that was an amateur move I should've stocked way up on that before telling anybody haha
 
I've been doubling down on the one tree from @AlHind Oud here. Definitely aligns with the quality that I have smelled from Anas, while also having its own signature that differs from that that comes from his own stills.

What made me return to this one today is a certain aspect to its top notes that are distinctive enough to put it into a separate category with a couple of other oils that I have experienced over the years. I don't know what variable explains this particular nuance, but it is a kind of soft warm presence backed by a maple and fenugreek adjacent aroma. It does not smell literally like those two but has a similar rich complex sweetness that is a facet of a garam masala type scent (I feel like Shoyeido plays on this in some of their sandalwoody incense like nanko if I remember correctly). I love this particular type of sandalwood oil, don't see it very often!
Just ordered myself a bottle. This was the straw that broke my camels back.
 
@SamiterkiW - unlabeled vial - This smells like wild Indonesian material, steam distilled. While this can often have a more maple syrup like feel to it, this oil has a remarkable feral like Mysore quality to it, while maintaining a very clean mentholic note. As the Arabs say, it smells good enough to drink! An oil you'll salivate over, while you're stunned with how it's captured these usually conflicting facets! This is only a first impression, but man is it ever good!
 
Just ordered myself a bottle. This was the straw that broke my camels back.
I think it is a good one, hope you feel the recommendation was a good one. I just swiped a bit to verify and I really do feel it is both good quality and of a type I don't smell as often as I would lile.
 
I swiped the "one tree" oil again from @AlHind Oud just to check on whether my previous evaluations held up. Once again I am very pleased with the aroma - I get a certain warm sweet bouquet with a beautiful muskiness and velvety quality and a trace of maple or fenugreek. It's a combination that I especially enjoy and it's nice to see a contemporary oil with this profile. Love it.
 
Came across these old specimens which I had lost track of for a little while. From left to right, Papua sandalwood (mcgregorii), sandalwood new caledonia absolute, new caledonia distillate, Aussie CO2 select, and ruh motia. The date on these is somewhere between 2010 and 2012.

These oils are interesting, just because they were a little unusual. None of them I would say is spectacular. The Papua oil is water thin, like WD-40 or something, spicy sweet Sandwood with some real herbal greenness. The New Caledonia oils are utterly boring like pretty much every single NC oil I've sniffed other than one very old specimen I got from white Lotus and an absolute i got from Will LaPaz years ago. The Australian carbon dioxide extract is very thick, mild aroma, not really remarkable but would probably be a great fixative.

The ruh motia is like the others WLA carried - they don't smell like distilled motia - they are very complex and sort of realistic to fresh flowers but overblown and clingy/cloying in a way that natural jasmine just isn't. I always thought these were mixtures of some kind, perhaps partially natural but there are these certain absurdly enduring monotonous notes that you just don't see in natural products. If I recall, he always sold these "as is" with the understanding that he could source things like this for his customers (he was constantly under pressure to source these rarities), but due to their exotic nature couldn't be 100% confident about their authenticity in every case.

I actually think it would take a lifetime of training to provide really 100% airtight quality control on a lineup like he had, so I never judge a vendor with a wide array of products like this if the occasional suspect product slips through (assuming they handle the bad news like an adult). It's just par for the course.

IMG_4037.jpeg
 
Back
Top