Further reading and information plus products to purchase, both oil and woods.
 
smelling some Mysuru black meat root oil from @AlHind Oud

This oil has a very distinct light creamy floral quality to its mid notes that is quite like the aroma of Jasminum polyanthum. This part of it isn't evident at first because the initial impact has a bit of a sweet marzipan element. The floral quality is something I'm very much enjoying right now - this is a complex and elegant sandalwood oil.
 
you know, my old RKSons sandalwood oils are looking a little bit nicer in light of the batch of shivamogga oil i smelled from kangiiten / KZ. having these specimens that come from known producers is so valuable because enables you to establish some kind of baseline, assuming that the information is correct and accurate. In this case smelling a particular combination of nutty and rubbery notes in a small batch oil of known provenance has reassured me that the RK sons oils with those same notes are likely of good quality as well, and not a result of rubber tubing or addition of shavings, use of high heat, or anything like that.
 
you know, my old RKSons sandalwood oils are looking a little bit nicer in light of the batch of shivamogga oil i smelled from kangiiten / KZ. having these specimens that come from known producers is so valuable because enables you to establish some kind of baseline, assuming that the information is correct and accurate. In this case smelling a particular combination of nutty and rubbery notes in a small batch oil of known provenance has reassured me that the RK sons oils with those same notes are likely of good quality as well, and not a result of rubber tubing or addition of shavings, use of high heat, or anything like that.
i'm not saying the quality is comparable by the way, the small batch nature of the KZ oil is quite clear, it has distinctly different properties, but rather there's a shared profile. What i learned was that notes that I was concerned about that are part of the RK sons batches I have in mind are not in themselves a sign of its being lower quality. It does happen to be somewhat duller, less complex, has none of the youthfulness factor so they are pretty different oils.

I was offering some sandalwood oils for sale at the market near me, but I never felt comfortable offering the RK sons because I couldn't account for those notes
 
I had roughly a gram of the straight up Tamil Nadu Absolute by ASO remaining in the bottle. After enjoying very much the Premium Australian Sandalwood oil by New Mountain I made a decision to top up the bottle of absolute with the Australian sandalwood oil and blend the two. What now exists as a result is warm and woodsy with a spicy twist on top. I think I've just created something wonderful. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this combination? If not...you should. It behaves a little topsy turvy and maybe that'll settle down? The absolute is still dominate over the Aussie, very dominate but then after an hour or so the Aussie comes shining through with it's lighter gourmand pastry goods scent.
 
Last edited:
I had roughly a gram of the straight up Tamil Nadu Absolute by ASO remaining in the bottle. After enjoying very much the Premium Australian Sandalwood oil by New Mountain I made a decision to top up the bottle of absolute with the Australian sandalwood oil and blend the two. What now exists as a result is warm and woodsy with a spicy twist on top. I think I've just created something wonderful. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this combination? If not...you should. It behaves a little topsy turvy and maybe that'll settle down? The absolute is still dominate over the Aussie, very dominate but then after an hour or so the Aussie comes shining through with it's lighter gourmand pastry goods scent.
Constructing a kind of all-sandalwood perfume from different extractions and species makes a lot of sense to me. i have experimented with combining CO2 extracts and distillations. I came up with some pleasant things but nothing that I thought was better than the different extracts on their own
 
Constructing a kind of all-sandalwood perfume from different extractions and species makes a lot of sense to me. i have experimented with combining CO2 extracts and distillations. I came up with some pleasant things but nothing that I thought was better than the different extracts on their own
This has worked surprisingly well.
 
A bit of Seijuku from @YusaAromatics

This has a very appealing saturated sweet sandalwood top note bouquet, clearly a small batch artisanal oil.

I have noticed that some of these oils will have an initial dense sweetness that is almost like marzipan and this is one of them, a hint of bitter almond in there with all the warm woody notes. A big swipe and deep sniff reveals some very appealing maple like unifying sweet notes that I especially enjoy.
 
A bit of Seijuku from @YusaAromatics

This has a very appealing saturated sweet sandalwood top note bouquet, clearly a small batch artisanal oil.

I have noticed that some of these oils will have an initial dense sweetness that is almost like marzipan and this is one of them, a hint of bitter almond in there with all the warm woody notes. A big swipe and deep sniff reveals some very appealing maple like unifying sweet notes that I especially enjoy.
I am thinking of making Seijuku v2, you have reminded me of it now haha! Enjoy it @Mr.P
 
I am thinking of making Seijuku v2, you have reminded me of it now haha! Enjoy it @Mr.P
Really amazing that it is possible to experience these types of small batch sandalwoods these days.
 
Fraterworks Signature Mysore (this is Payan Bertrand and resold by FW)

Has a nice profile, devoid of any aggravating notes, also devoid of a whole lot of sandalwood aroma. As I've said before I would guess a little bit of some nice distillation carried in a relatively neutral plantation oil. has a bit of dry woody and a bit of this particular sandalwood soft sweet waxy note that I've seen in some oils but not artisanal ones. I am sure this would be very functional in a blend for its modifying and fixative properties. Would not be my choice as a personal sandalwood fragrance in itself, but I'll bet a bit of rose dissolved in it would be lovely.

i'm experiencing this as a slight improvement over some of the fresh plantation oils I smelled a few years ago and that's actually a valuable thing: a sustainable, slightly above average oil from a reliable supplier for blending and perfume making purposes
 
Last edited:
it's been one heck of a year when it comes to sandalwood oils… bring back the "oud of the year" and add "sandalwood of the year" please. 🙂

I felt like revisiting the Margon two bar Aceh oil - this is the same as or similar to the shavings oil that olefaktory used to sell, a pretty economically priced oil with a whole lot of top note presence. Very distinctive, a full rich sweet sugary with a bit of marzipan. Combines very interestingly with other materials allowing for some sandalwood oriented top note bouquets. These just would not be possible with typical heart wood oil, so I'm very happy to have this stuff on hand to experiment with.

Even though it's crystal clear this is a Santalum album oil, I don't it this as a replacement for regular sandalwood oil, but instead as a material to add some unusual notes to a blend or just to be enjoyed it in its own right. The top note is a little bit too unusual and the endurance is not like the heartwood
 
Last edited:
Aroma Sublime - Zen Heart. This is one heck of a sandalwood. The cedar top notes and other terroir action is very noticable. Somehow, a sandalwood and yet not a sandalwood. I highly doubt someone could recreate this scent artificially using eo's of the same notes yet, nature has done this all on her own. I actually find this quite narcotic. Pretty sure it was the sandalwood that knocked me out on the couch last night. Incredible projection, even in an air-conditioned room where other sandalwoods tend to sit quietly until I move into a warmer space. I've found this extended story on the tree and the oil for those interested. https://www.aromasublime.com/news/g...od-the-story-of-zen-one-one-very-special-tree
[Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
 
Aroma Sublime - Zen Heart. This is one heck of a sandalwood. The cedar top notes and other terroir action is very noticable. Somehow, a sandalwood and yet not a sandalwood. I highly doubt someone could recreate this scent artificially using eo's of the same notes yet, nature has done this all on her own. I actually find this quite narcotic. Pretty sure it was the sandalwood that knocked me out on the couch last night. Incredible projection, even in an air-conditioned room where other sandalwoods tend to sit quietly until I move into a warmer space. I've found this extended story on the tree and the oil for those interested. https://www.aromasublime.com/news/g...od-the-story-of-zen-one-one-very-special-treeView attachment 51919
Nice! I was looking at this one, but they only have the 2.5 bottles left.
 
The amount is actually 3ml if that helps? Also, 30% off is applied at the checkout until 3rd Jan or I think if you spend over $500 there is an Ouddict only discount of 33% you can add with a code when checking out. It's worth getting.
Right, I confused the amount in the bottle. I saw the discount as well. It’s very tempting, but I’ve been spending like mad over the past month buying oils and incense. The Hermitage order I just placed slapped my wallet sideways.
We’ll see here the next few days how weak my resolve is 😂
 
I had roughly a gram of the straight up Tamil Nadu Absolute by ASO remaining in the bottle. After enjoying very much the Premium Australian Sandalwood oil by New Mountain I made a decision to top up the bottle of absolute with the Australian sandalwood oil and blend the two. What now exists as a result is warm and woodsy with a spicy twist on top. I think I've just created something wonderful. I'd like to know if anyone else has tried this combination? If not...you should. It behaves a little topsy turvy and maybe that'll settle down? The absolute is still dominate over the Aussie, very dominate but then after an hour or so the Aussie comes shining through with it's lighter gourmand pastry goods scent.
I haven’t tried this two but I am a firm fan of blending sandalwoods, especially if I can throw in a pinch of ambergris to stitch them together
 
Got a sample of the Hermitage papua sandalwood CO2 for Christmas - literally had a package show up about four days early with multiple sandalwood samples, an unusual variety of cypriol, and some wild old patchouli - amazing things from a generous ouddict! It's always funny when someone you've never met in person understands your interests better than your own family lol but that's the nature of having a highly specialized interest!

This stuff is the most buttery sandalwood that I've ever smelled. I have posted in the past about a sample of Papua oil I got from White Lotus, green, sappy, very very thin watery consistency, very much a sandalwood top note material with an aroma almost like beta caryophyllene or copaiba mixed in there.

This one is a different material entirely, none of that greenness just this kind of focused sweet butter quality... imagine the smell of buttered popcorn but subtract the popcorn. On my first couple of applications I found that particular note to really define the experience and persists for some time - I will have to swipe again on the day when I don't have anything else competing to comment on its dry down and what kind of more subtle woody notes may emerge. Definitely an interesting specimen and an outlier as far as this particular butter like aroma.

I read the product description, I can't relate to that at all other than the intense butter quality. I don't see how you could say this is an exemplar of the Mysore profile. The focused confectionary quality has been a shared signature of sandalwood CO2 total extracts I have sampled. This Papua oil has the consistency of a select extract but that focused confectionary quality of a total extract it's pretty interesting.
 
Last edited:
Got a sample of the Hermitage papua sandalwood CO2 for Christmas - literally had a package show up about four days early with multiple sandalwood samples, an unusual variety of cypriol, and some wild old patchouli - amazing things from a generous ouddict! It's always funny when someone you've never met in person understands your interests better than your own family lol but that's the nature of having a highly specialized interest!

This stuff is the most buttery sandalwood that I've ever smelled. I have posted in the past about a sample of Papua oil I got from White Lotus, green, sappy, very very thin watery consistency, very much a sandalwood top note material with an aroma almost like beta caryophyllene or copaiba mixed in there.

This one is a different material entirely, none of that greenness just this kind of focused sweet butter quality... imagine the smell of buttered popcorn but subtract the popcorn. On my first couple of applications I found that particular note to really define the experience and persists for some time - I will have to swipe again on the day when I don't have anything else competing to comment on its dry down and what kind of more subtle woody notes may emerge. Definitely an interesting specimen and an outlier as far as this particular butter like aroma.

I read the product description, I can't relate to that at all other than the intense butter quality. I don't see how you could say this is an exemplar of the Mysore profile. The focused confectionary quality has been a shared signature of sandalwood CO2 total extracts I have sampled. This Papua oil has the consistency of a select extract but that focused confectionary quality of a total extract it's pretty interesting.
I got this Papauan Sandalwood in my recent Hermitage order!
First time ever trying a sandalwood oil from PNG.

True, it isn't exactly Mysore, but it carries some similarities for sure.
The opening actually reminded me of KZ's Santal Reverie because of it's blast of "buttery maple", minus the extreme searing "ethanol-like" note, but that's where comparison would end.
It is certainly a buttery sandalwood, as you say. I love this though!

As someone getting more serious about blending and composing recently, I'd definitely like to acquire more of this.
Totally satisfied with this, and it stands out amongst my other sandalwoods with it's unique performance and creamy character. I can see this being very valuable in the arsenal of a skilled perfumer.
Gourmand and comforting, woody and luxurious!
Checked back on the cuff of a shirt I wore the other day and this oil is still going strong!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top