I got this Papauan Sandalwood in my recent Hermitage order!
First time ever trying a sandalwood oil from PNG.

True, it isn't exactly Mysore, but it carries some similarities for sure.
The opening actually reminded me of KZ's Santal Reverie because of it's blast of "buttery maple", minus the extreme searing "ethanol-like" note, but that's where comparison would end.
It is certainly a buttery sandalwood, as you say. I love this though!

As someone getting more serious about blending and composing recently, I'd definitely like to acquire more of this.
Totally satisfied with this, and it stands out amongst my other sandalwoods with it's unique performance and creamy character. I can see this being very valuable in the arsenal of a skilled perfumer.
Gourmand and comforting, woody and luxurious!
Checked back on the cuff of a shirt I wore the other day and this oil is still going strong!
This is indeed a tenacious one and I have big plans for this, ASO vanilla absolute, Kangiiten’s verawood, some old dark patchouli and Mr. P’s over-the-top reiryokoh absolute.
Something delicious this way comes!

To me, the full throttle butter of this Papuan oil can’t be overstated.
 
This is indeed a tenacious one and I have big plans for this, ASO vanilla absolute, Kangiiten’s verawood, some old dark patchouli and Mr. P’s over-the-top reiryokoh absolute.
Something delicious this way comes!

To me, the full throttle butter of this Papuan oil can’t be overstated.
Nice!
I actually have something going with a couple drops of ASO’s vanilla and KZ’s Santal Reverie with others…… I’m wishing now I’d had this Papaun sandal instead. Keep us posted on your project! Sounds awesome .
 
Right, I confused the amount in the bottle. I saw the discount as well. It’s very tempting, but I’ve been spending like mad over the past month buying oils and incense. The Hermitage order I just placed slapped my wallet sideways.
We’ll see here the next few days how weak my resolve is 😂
I can see Zen One is still available in all amounts. Heartwood of the same tree rather than roots and stump in Zen Heart.
 
Last edited:
This is indeed a tenacious one and I have big plans for this, ASO vanilla absolute, Kangiiten’s verawood, some old dark patchouli and Mr. P’s over-the-top reiryokoh absolute.
Something delicious this way comes!

To me, the full throttle butter of this Papuan oil can’t be overstated.
Looking forward to getting a sniff of this! Very happy to see one of my extractions being put to use - the rei ryoko is a trip for sure, good to have the fenugreek scent that's not actually fenugreek! I'm going to send you more of that since you have a use for it.

just applied another swipe of that Papua oil - it is as you describe 100%

At some point I'd like to sample a drop of that vanilla absolute if you can spare some, never got a whiff of that one and vanilla is a material I want to explore in a little more detail at some point down the line.
 
Last edited:
Looking forward to getting a sniff of this! Very happy to see one of my extractions being put to use - the rei ryoko is a trip for sure, good to have the fenugreek scent that's not actually fenugreek! I'm going to send you more of that since you have a use for it.

just applied another swipe of that Papua oil - it is as you describe 100%

At some point I'd like to sample a drop of that vanilla absolute if you can spare some, never got a whiff of that one and vanilla is a material I want to explore in a little more detail at some point down the line.
I bought 2 tolas of the ASO Vanilla for my family and can confirm it’s amazing.
I was visiting and managed to get a pinch of this from them to add to a mukhallat I was dreaming of.
 
Sandalwood oil/extract collection getting out of hand... these oils were collected over the last 26 years or so. I added a few beauties this year! At some point I would like to try to make a kind of master blend, with a core of really fine old classic stuff touched up with hints of some of the CO2 and other extracts or oddball distillations that focus particular notes etc.
[Ouddict.com] Sandalwood oil of the day
 
Back again today with a swipe of Hermitage Oils Papuan Sandalwood C02: King of Sandalwood.

A huge aura of dense, syrupy buttery creamy Sandalwood. Making me wonder how I can get this to play with others, as well as making me crave pancakes.

Good stuff and a very interesting specimen with useful qualities for perfume making, but to me it's more like Papuan Sandalwood CO2: King of Butter.

The CO2 oils are often like this, one facet or another greatly amplified. I've smelled one that was buttery like this, another like maple, another like butterscotch. They typically don't wear like a typical sandalwood oil - different evaporation rate and all of that.

ideal elements for constructing creative sandalwood fragrances especially in combination with different types of oils.
 
Good stuff and a very interesting specimen with useful qualities for perfume making, but to me it's more like Papuan Sandalwood CO2: King of Butter.

The CO2 oils are often like this, one facet or another greatly amplified. I've smelled one that was buttery like this, another like maple, another like butterscotch. They typically don't wear like a typical sandalwood oil - different evaporation rate and all of that.

ideal elements for constructing creative sandalwood fragrances especially in combination with different types of oils.
Thanks for that. This is my first sandalwood C02 and that makes perfect sense, butteriness is certainly amplified!
I’m wondering what a musk might do to this. What are your thoughts are macerations with a c02 sandalwood oil?
King of Buttah will be very useful in upcoming experiments , I’m hoping.
 
Thanks for that. This is my first sandalwood C02 and that makes perfect sense, butteriness is certainly amplified!
I’m wondering what a musk might do to this. What are your thoughts are macerations with a c02 sandalwood oil?
King of Buttah will be very useful in upcoming experiments , I’m hoping.
I don't have the experience working with deer musk so I can't help you with that - I suppose you could always try a tiny amount in a sample vial. I don't recall anybody mentioning CO2 oils in the context of musk extractions but the CO2 oils have been pretty rare so that alone could explain why no one has mentioned it or tried it.

it's nice, in addition to some really nice classic sandalwood oils, I've seen a few materials this year which would allow you to really dial in different specific top note sandalwood facets - a little bit of the Indonesian shavings oil could add that rich Indonesian terroir to a neutral aussie plantation album, this could bring in a little butteriness, etc.. One thing I like about this Papua oil is that even though it's a different species, the buttery note dialed back a bit is not out of place in an Indian sandalwood blend.

I wouldn't be able to say the same thing for spicatum oil.
 
Did you get your new Aroma Sublime shipment?
I got the first bottle of Zen Heart. Only ordered the second bottle of Zen One a couple of days ago.
@Zazu to answer you question about comparing, this oil is in a league of it's own. It's a super rare sandalwood oil that's carrying a number of different notes not normally found in sandalwood oils due to the unique environment in which it was grown. Better to have Pierre explain it. Have a read of this if you haven't already. It truly is an Aroma Sublime.
 
Mysore Qadeem from An Najwa. As always I could kick myself for not getting more of this. I was wearing this so much I set the bottle aside for a few months and just pulled it out today. So incredibly musky and so incredibly beautiful. Bright, high woodiness but smoothed and opened by age. Sawdust and marzipan over the most pristine cream and ghee and an almost pissy musk with burnt sugar somewhere off in the distance. Theres even a Mitti note here that I could see reading as nutty and rubbery if it were a younger oil. A true benchmark, specimen bottle. I wonder if any of my newer oils would age out to this. I can see some of the race car, assertive NTTs mellowing into something approaching this.
 
I just smelled a supposed high-end sandalwood oil that is loaded with sandalore. Might actually just simply be diluted sandalore. That's a good chemical to get a sample of so you know what to watch out for.
 
Mysore Qadeem from An Najwa. As always I could kick myself for not getting more of this. I was wearing this so much I set the bottle aside for a few months and just pulled it out today. So incredibly musky and so incredibly beautiful. Bright, high woodiness but smoothed and opened by age. Sawdust and marzipan over the most pristine cream and ghee and an almost pissy musk with burnt sugar somewhere off in the distance. Theres even a Mitti note here that I could see reading as nutty and rubbery if it were a younger oil. A true benchmark, specimen bottle. I wonder if any of my newer oils would age out to this. I can see some of the race car, assertive NTTs mellowing into something approaching this.
you inspired me to find my sample and apply a little swipe. Unfortunately my nose is a little bit shot from all of the other things I have been sniffing but I can definitely another good one. some nice mid register warmth, nice and rounded as you say. I can see why you would want to have enough of this to be able to use it with abandon!
 
Back
Top