I do wonder if this is totally different stuff from what you got - like a wildly different batch, or something.

If I had more, I’d ask to send you some and find out!

At this rate I might actually be interested in buying more. 35 euro or so for 4 grams seems like good value. But I should knuckle down to burning and swiping what I already have, especially since I just got back from Oman with 0.75 kilo of resin.

I can see why you would want more, it's not a bad oil
 
I can see why you would want more, it's not a bad oil
By the way … off-topic for this thread, but one of the reasons I put in that Fraterworks order was to finally get my hands on some blackcurrant bud absolute - I remember you mentioned this material a while back. It’s interesting stuff. Trying to think how I might use it.
 
By the way … off-topic for this thread, but one of the reasons I put in that Fraterworks order was to finally get my hands on some blackcurrant bud absolute - I remember you mentioned this material a while back. It’s interesting stuff. Trying to think how I might use it.
In extreme dilution!

Little goes a long way but it can be used for very interesting effects.
 
Zen One - Aroma Sublime. After discovering the beauty of Zen Heart, I had to compliment it with the heartwood of the same tree. Such a rare and wonderful thing. Zen one is definitely the brighter of the two. This should come as no surprise given which part of the tree both oils originate from. The cedar/hinoki note is still very prominent but in a lighter way. I'm yet to try this on skin for a side by side but wanted to get this down first.
 
Finally received the Shivamogga Absolute - Kangiiten. This stuff is crazy strong! I've not smelled a sandalwood like it. Loud, very woody, I'm going to say medicinal. Nothing warm or buttery about it. This is an absolute so it's quite a bit condensed. Not sure how to use this? I'll try it neat tomorrow.
 
Another swipe of the "One Tree" sandalwood from @AlHind Oud ! I am a bit of a broken record here but this one just keeps surprising me. As I have said probably three times now, this has a warm maple-ish quality to the top and mid notes that I find especially appealing, making this one of only three oils of this type that I have smelled. The previous two specimens were from 2002 and 2001 from White Lotus Aromatics, these were from mature Tamil Nadu heartwood, deg distilled. I never expected to encounter a similar style in an Indonesian oil - this is a very Indian smelling sandalwood oil relative to my collection - in a blind sniff test I would never have thought this was from Indonesia.
 
Another swipe of the "One Tree" sandalwood from @AlHind Oud ! I am a bit of a broken record here but this one just keeps surprising me. As I have said probably three times now, this has a warm maple-ish quality to the top and mid notes that I find especially appealing, making this one of only three oils of this type that I have smelled. The previous two specimens were from 2002 and 2001 from White Lotus Aromatics, these were from mature Tamil Nadu heartwood, deg distilled. I never expected to encounter a similar style in an Indonesian oil - this is a very Indian smelling sandalwood oil relative to my collection - in a blind sniff test I would never have thought this was from Indonesia.
The wood itself was so similar to Mysore that it’s almost indistinguishable.
 
IMG_8057.jpeg

Quintis - Santalum Album.
Indian Sandalwood grown in Western Australia.

While I thoroughly enjoy the native Spicatum products from the sister company Mount Romance, this oil from Quintis was either always smelling too fresh or had subtle, yet painfully obvious vinegar-like note which frustrated me because I could smell the potential. Beneath these obvious flaws was a good oil made from good quality plantation wood. I always knew the source material was decent because of the Quintis heart wood powder. This powder smells lovely on the sub, plenty of buttery, warm spicy, vanillic beta-Santalol sweetness.
Finally! Cracking open the Quintis oil again last week after not testing it in 18 months, it’s finally aged into something quite lovely, the vinegar note has gone, the oil less sharp, it’s rounded, with a nice butter / vanilla.
It’s never going to be artisanal standards, but finally I can use it now. This morning, I splashed a good amount into my hand & used it like aftershave on my neck & face.
 
Last edited:
View attachment 52584
Quintis - Santalum Album.
Indian Sandalwood grown in Western Australia.

While I thoroughly enjoy the native Spicatum products from the sister company Mount Romance, this oil from Quintis was either always smelling too fresh or had subtle, yet painfully obvious vinegar-like note which frustrated me because I could smell the potential, beneath these obvious flaws was a good oil made from good quality plantation wood. I always knew the source material was decent because of the Quintis heart wood powder. This powder smells lovely on the sub, plenty of buttery, warm spicy, vanillic beta-Santalol sweetness.
Finally! Cracking open the Quintis oil again last week after not testing it in 18 months, it’s finally aged into something quite lovely, the vinegar note has gone, the oil less sharp, it’s rounded, with a nice butter / vanilla.
It’s never going to be artisanal standards, but finally I can use it now. This morning, I splashed a good amount into my hand & used it like aftershave on my neck & face.
Mate, have you ever given Dutjahn ago for their Aussie sandalwood? https://www.dutjahn.com/shop/p/fine-fragrance-sandalwood-oil-z6p5c
I have this sample pack on my wish list. They really sound like a company worth getting behind.
 
One Tree Indonesian sandalwood oil from @AlHind Oud - very rich full heartwood bouquet. Outstanding stuff.
 
Back
Top