Hello Ouddicts!

I am a new member here, and would like to introduce myself. I am a Kuwaiti currently residing in Switzerland, and have decided to explore the world of oud. I grew up with it all around me, so I am quite familiar with its scent. I began my journey into fragrances around 5 years ago, and have built up a collection. Recently however, fragrances have sort of bored me. I wanted something different. I wanted oud. I have obsessively studied it over the past week, which has led me to this forum! I am particularly interested in Kyara oud, as I have never experienced it nor heard of it. I am looking to get into oud oils. I have many questions that I’m excited to share, and look forward to enriching my oud knowledge.
 
Hello Ouddicts!

I am a new member here, and would like to introduce myself. I am a Kuwaiti currently residing in Switzerland, and have decided to explore the world of oud. I grew up with it all around me, so I am quite familiar with its scent. I began my journey into fragrances around 5 years ago, and have built up a collection. Recently however, fragrances have sort of bored me. I wanted something different. I wanted oud. I have obsessively studied it over the past week, which has led me to this forum! I am particularly interested in Kyara oud, as I have never experienced it nor heard of it. I am looking to get into oud oils. I have many questions that I’m excited to share, and look forward to enriching my oud knowledge.
Hello and welcome.

I was wondering about what kind of oud you have in Kuwait? Which ouds have you tried in Switzerland
 
Hello and welcome.

I was wondering about what kind of oud you have in Kuwait? Which ouds have you tried in Switzerland
Hey onedrop! I appreciate the welcome!

Well to be honest, I was quite young when I left Kuwait, and never knew of the different types of ouds that I smelt. I am aware that Omani oud exists, though I have never smelt it, and wouldn't be so shocked to find if Kuwait had its own oud. In terms of what type of ouds Kuwaitis use, unless my memory fails me, I remember a whole bunch of Hindi ouds (I remember smelling some barnyardy-ness). Honestly though, I don't recall smelling a whole bunch of pure oud. Mostly I recall my mother and aunt wearing teeb (طيب), which is just a mix of different oils (not sure what the terminology here is). My aunty has her own teeb with cognac and oud! That one's a killer. Kuwait does have a many oud stores though. My grandfather is a huge oud lover, and would often get high quality oud chips from his various travels, though he never really got oils. We just used the chips as bukhoor.

In Switzerland, I haven't tried many ouds. I am just beginning to actively delve into the world, and can't find any places nearby that have oud. I'm sure I just haven't looked deep enough. I will definitely post once I find a place. I hope to order some ouds from ASO, just so I can get familiar with the regional profiles. In the meantime however, I did manage to find a leftover cheap Cambodian oud oil I brought from Kuwait, which is just barely satisfying my oud craving lol.
 
Hey onedrop! I appreciate the welcome!

Well to be honest, I was quite young when I left Kuwait, and never knew of the different types of ouds that I smelt. I am aware that Omani oud exists, though I have never smelt it, and wouldn't be so shocked to find if Kuwait had its own oud. In terms of what type of ouds Kuwaitis use, unless my memory fails me, I remember a whole bunch of Hindi ouds (I remember smelling some barnyardy-ness). Honestly though, I don't recall smelling a whole bunch of pure oud. Mostly I recall my mother and aunt wearing teeb (طيب), which is just a mix of different oils (not sure what the terminology here is). My aunty has her own teeb with cognac and oud! That one's a killer. Kuwait does have a many oud stores though. My grandfather is a huge oud lover, and would often get high quality oud chips from his various travels, though he never really got oils. We just used the chips as bukhoor.

In Switzerland, I haven't tried many ouds. I am just beginning to actively delve into the world, and can't find any places nearby that have oud. I'm sure I just haven't looked deep enough. I will definitely post once I find a place. I hope to order some ouds from ASO, just so I can get familiar with the regional profiles. In the meantime however, I did manage to find a leftover cheap Cambodian oud oil I brought from Kuwait, which is just barely satisfying my oud craving lol.
@A.O
Thank you for the reply!
Maybe try a little tester pack from one of the vendors on here you like the look of. I am a beginner as well and tried a local seller first with Bangladeshi (essential oil) oud in these tiny v-vials which was the first I had ever (consciously) smelt. It was a barnyard type, with almost a plasticine edge, though intriguing and almost medicinal to my nose. I think my next one was a try of some camobodi oil which was somewhat TCP (very camphorus) smelling, I don't know it's origins, purity, etc as sometimes you can't find out as when you are given someone else's to try. Hereafter, I tried another Cambodi from Al Haramain which remains one of my favourites; it is light in viscosity though strong and becomes more layered and airborn when warmed slightly. I started to not only want to know more about agarwood and take in the fragrance more, also to know how and where it was made and whether a person could find out such information or it was off limit. ( to the buyer) I researched a little online, to see which companies would be upfront about production methods and some backstory. I tried a little sample of Royal Sumatra, from Agar Aura around 1 and half years ago, which is, to this day, a light green swampy treat. I don't know how it smells as a swipe as I only smell it from the vial. It like about 5 drops though I am being frugal and making the most of it. It is like a a fresh open air leafy canopy (in my imagination) without any pungency or moldyness, I had never smelt such lung and chest expansion from a 'perfume' before as I've never been to the area where the fragrance exists, (Indonesia). It's effect is somewhat similar to taking a high altitude walk in the hills.
I think as you're from Switzerland with a lot of fresh air you'd probably like something like that.
Probably some of the experts (not me) can point you to a nice sample pack to try, that fits your criteria.
 
@A.O
Thank you for the reply!
Maybe try a little tester pack from one of the vendors on here you like the look of. I am a beginner as well and tried a local seller first with Bangladeshi (essential oil) oud in these tiny v-vials which was the first I had ever (consciously) smelt. It was a barnyard type, with almost a plasticine edge, though intriguing and almost medicinal to my nose. I think my next one was a try of some camobodi oil which was somewhat TCP (very camphorus) smelling, I don't know it's origins, purity, etc as sometimes you can't find out as when you are given someone else's to try. Hereafter, I tried another Cambodi from Al Haramain which remains one of my favourites; it is light in viscosity though strong and becomes more layered and airborn when warmed slightly. I started to not only want to know more about agarwood and take in the fragrance more, also to know how and where it was made and whether a person could find out such information or it was off limit. ( to the buyer) I researched a little online, to see which companies would be upfront about production methods and some backstory. I tried a little sample of Royal Sumatra, from Agar Aura around 1 and half years ago, which is, to this day, a light green swampy treat. I don't know how it smells as a swipe as I only smell it from the vial. It like about 5 drops though I am being frugal and making the most of it. It is like a a fresh open air leafy canopy (in my imagination) without any pungency or moldyness, I had never smelt such lung and chest expansion from a 'perfume' before as I've never been to the area where the fragrance exists, (Indonesia). It's effect is somewhat similar to taking a high altitude walk in the hills.
I think as you're from Switzerland with a lot of fresh air you'd probably like something like that.
Probably some of the experts (not me) can point you to a nice sample pack to try, that fits your criteria.

@onedrop

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations!

I'm going to spend some of my time looking at the list of vendors here on this forum. I mean, from what I heard, ASO has top notch quality, which is why I originally wanted to buy from them. But honestly, I think a local seller might be better. I don't want to sort of scale the ouds too quickly. I want to savor my journey. I think I'll just find some affordable ouds either local or through the vendors here.

Quick question as well! I have never tried an Indonesian oud, and wonder whether they smell oud-y. I know this sounds kind of stupid... I am more familiar with Indian and Cambodi profiles, and I can definitely say that they smell oud-y. They both share some sort of ruggedness that I typically find in ouds. However, the way you describe Royal Sumatra leaves me wondering whether it still has that sort of oud-y touch. Say you didn't know you had bought an oud, and simply smelt the oil, would you have known that it was actually oud? Or would you have just thought it was some other wood? The descriptions of Vietnamese oud oils confuse me in the same way. Can't wait to try a Kyara! Will definitely post once I decide on a sample pack.
 
Hello Ouddicts!

I am a new member here, and would like to introduce myself. I am a Kuwaiti currently residing in Switzerland, and have decided to explore the world of oud. I grew up with it all around me, so I am quite familiar with its scent. I began my journey into fragrances around 5 years ago, and have built up a collection. Recently however, fragrances have sort of bored me. I wanted something different. I wanted oud. I have obsessively studied it over the past week, which has led me to this forum! I am particularly interested in Kyara oud, as I have never experienced it nor heard of it. I am looking to get into oud oils. I have many questions that I’m excited to share, and look forward to enriching my oud knowledge.
welcome...glad to have you here!
 
@onedrop

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations!

I'm going to spend some of my time looking at the list of vendors here on this forum. I mean, from what I heard, ASO has top notch quality, which is why I originally wanted to buy from them. But honestly, I think a local seller might be better. I don't want to sort of scale the ouds too quickly. I want to savor my journey. I think I'll just find some affordable ouds either local or through the vendors here.

Quick question as well! I have never tried an Indonesian oud, and wonder whether they smell oud-y. I know this sounds kind of stupid... I am more familiar with Indian and Cambodi profiles, and I can definitely say that they smell oud-y. They both share some sort of ruggedness that I typically find in ouds. However, the way you describe Royal Sumatra leaves me wondering whether it still has that sort of oud-y touch. Say you didn't know you had bought an oud, and simply smelt the oil, would you have known that it was actually oud? Or would you have just thought it was some other wood? The descriptions of Vietnamese oud oils confuse me in the same way. Can't wait to try a Kyara! Will definitely post once I decide on a sample pack.
Welcome to the forum.
You are correct to take your time here. Research lots and it will bring good rewards.
 
@onedrop

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations!

I'm going to spend some of my time looking at the list of vendors here on this forum. I mean, from what I heard, ASO has top notch quality, which is why I originally wanted to buy from them. But honestly, I think a local seller might be better. I don't want to sort of scale the ouds too quickly. I want to savor my journey. I think I'll just find some affordable ouds either local or through the vendors here.

Quick question as well! I have never tried an Indonesian oud, and wonder whether they smell oud-y. I know this sounds kind of stupid... I am more familiar with Indian and Cambodi profiles, and I can definitely say that they smell oud-y. They both share some sort of ruggedness that I typically find in ouds. However, the way you describe Royal Sumatra leaves me wondering whether it still has that sort of oud-y touch. Say you didn't know you had bought an oud, and simply smelt the oil, would you have known that it was actually oud? Or would you have just thought it was some other wood? The descriptions of Vietnamese oud oils confuse me in the same way. Can't wait to try a Kyara! Will definitely post once I decide on a sample pack.
“I want to savor my journey”—nicely said and quite accurate to say…
 
@onedrop

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations!

I'm going to spend some of my time looking at the list of vendors here on this forum. I mean, from what I heard, ASO has top notch quality, which is why I originally wanted to buy from them. But honestly, I think a local seller might be better. I don't want to sort of scale the ouds too quickly. I want to savor my journey. I think I'll just find some affordable ouds either local or through the vendors here.

Quick question as well! I have never tried an Indonesian oud, and wonder whether they smell oud-y. I know this sounds kind of stupid... I am more familiar with Indian and Cambodi profiles, and I can definitely say that they smell oud-y. They both share some sort of ruggedness that I typically find in ouds. However, the way you describe Royal Sumatra leaves me wondering whether it still has that sort of oud-y touch. Say you didn't know you had bought an oud, and simply smelt the oil, would you have known that it was actually oud? Or would you have just thought it was some other wood? The descriptions of Vietnamese oud oils confuse me in the same way. Can't wait to try a Kyara! Will definitely post once I decide on a sample pack.
that's a great question @A.O I'll get the sample out later and report back.

I look forward to see your sample review, in due course!
 
Last edited:
@onedrop

Thanks for the reply, and the recommendations!

I'm going to spend some of my time looking at the list of vendors here on this forum. I mean, from what I heard, ASO has top notch quality, which is why I originally wanted to buy from them. But honestly, I think a local seller might be better. I don't want to sort of scale the ouds too quickly. I want to savor my journey. I think I'll just find some affordable ouds either local or through the vendors here.

Quick question as well! I have never tried an Indonesian oud, and wonder whether they smell oud-y. I know this sounds kind of stupid... I am more familiar with Indian and Cambodi profiles, and I can definitely say that they smell oud-y. They both share some sort of ruggedness that I typically find in ouds. However, the way you describe Royal Sumatra leaves me wondering whether it still has that sort of oud-y touch. Say you didn't know you had bought an oud, and simply smelt the oil, would you have known that it was actually oud? Or would you have just thought it was some other wood? The descriptions of Vietnamese oud oils confuse me in the same way. Can't wait to try a Kyara! Will definitely post once I decide on a sample pack.
The question of what is the "quintessential oud smell" is an interesting one and I will say that for me Indonesian / Malaysian oils are can be as "oudy" as anything out there. It may well take some time to get used to the variety of types of oud and traditional old style oils are very much impacted by distillation methods that create a strong common element separate from the core oud scent itself. People who are used to the new generation oils might smell a very fine old fermented oil and assume something was wrong with it due to the processing notes, and vice versa. So you may have to adjust slightly your concept of what oud is, but it's hard to predict, and some varieties like Maroke have a very different profile while still being very oudy.
 
The question of what is the "quintessential oud smell" is an interesting one and I will say that for me Indonesian / Malaysian oils are can be as "oudy" as anything out there. It may well take some time to get used to the variety of types of oud and traditional old style oils are very much impacted by distillation methods that create a strong common element separate from the core oud scent itself. People who are used to the new generation oils might smell a very fine old fermented oil and assume something was wrong with it due to the processing notes, and vice versa. So you may have to adjust slightly your concept of what oud is, but it's hard to predict, and some varieties like Maroke have a very different profile while still being very oudy.

Wow. Very well explained!
 
Wow. Very well explained!
excellent, I'll elaborate a little bit then:

Many people first encounter crassna oils. Depending on how this species is processed it can either be extremely clean and smooth sweet like honey and gummy bears; from another style of processing it can be very heavy woody, and notes of tobacco and dried fruit. Processed another way it can be quite lactic and almost cheesy, fermented and tart smelling. If you smell enough of each of these three types you will begin to see that there are some things that weave through all three of them and tie them together. One of those things is "oudiness per se" as I see it. One of the others is "crassna per se" which I have never been able to crystallize into a description it's just its own thing. Just like I can't describe the color red.

I'm still working on my understanding of the difference species - scientific names are used inconsistently (agallocha and malaccensis for example) and identification is not a simple matter. When you consider there are over a dozen different species, and the fact that you'd have to have a collection of many of each species to really understand what that species in general can smell like, it's pretty staggering project to tackle.

There IS something that runs through it all however, that other materials failed to bring to the table,and that is oudiness as I see it.

If I had to describe it I would say it is a peculiar balsamic sweetness with a bitter and resinous aspect (the intensity of the bitterness and resinous aspect varies but on some level it's always there...). I can no more describe it than I can describe the color blue though
 
Last edited:
excellent, I'll elaborate a little bit then:

Many people first encounter crassna oils. Depending on how this species is processed it can either be extremely clean and smooth sweet like honey and gummy bears; from another style of processing it can be very heavy woody, and notes of tobacco and dried fruit. Processed another way it can be quite lactic and almost cheesy, fermented and tart smelling. If you smell enough of each of these three types you will begin to see that there are some things that weave through all three of them and tie them together. One of those things is "oudiness per se" as I see it. One of the others is "crassna per se" which I have never been able to crystallize into a description it's just its own thing. Just like I can't describe the color red.

I'm still working on my understanding of the difference species - scientific names are used inconsistently (agallocha and malaccensis for example) and identification is not a simple matter. When you consider there are over a dozen different species, and the fact that you'd have to have a collection of many of each species to really understand what that species in general can smell like, it's pretty staggering project to tackle.
I see...

This world of oud is so vast, and slightly intimidating. I understand now how it's not easy to describe that underlying common feature.

As you said, one must have a collection to gain complete understanding. I guess that means I must start now!
 
I see...

This world of oud is so vast, and slightly intimidating. I understand now how it's not easy to describe that underlying common feature.

As you said, one must have a collection to gain complete understanding. I guess that means I must start now!
find a friend with a good collection haha

in all seriousness this is meant to be shared in a community, these forums are one step in that direction but wouldn't it be great if we could all be sitting around swiping and shooting the breeze over this stuff? I believe that would be an "oud majlis" as the founder of the old basenotes oud<3ers group (Taz, the OG of the oud unifiers) put it. 🙂
 
I have two or three drops of Royal Sumatra in a vial and how interesting @Mr.P mentioned the blue aspect. 'Blue' is present here and I'm going to use some quotes from the producer of the oud's own description, firstly " the most blatant defining feature of Sumatran wood is the frosty wintergreen-blue note" (Agar aura website: https://agaraura.com/rsum.html)
-the blue here for me is mossy bog, airier than expected. high frequency agarwood, where (by comparision) an 'organic' hindi oud from a reputable company, (I'm aroma comparing, side by side)
is more mid range, stretching into the fermented notes, mentioned by @Mr.P. The range of use is different. I personally, given free range of ingredients, would use a hindi oud for perfumery with other ingredients and gen3 types for therapeutic use and would not mix them with anything. They have a delicacy and a strength, whereas the hindi oil I have has a tenacity though less of the 'sesquiterpne' effect. This is is obviously not a scientific comparison. I also have to qualify that with the fact I do not have a large collection of agarwood.

The difference in my limited opinion is akin to regular lavender essential oil and high altitude alpine lavender, the latter sits as a top note and yet more is more potent version of traditional english lavender. Scientfic analysis would probaly show comparitive difference would could be utilzed for the end result or purpose ie perfume, room diffuser, therapeutic use etc etc.

The oud experts could probably explain more about gen3 oils and production methods as opposed to the more traditional methods.

with all others being equal ie in terms of quality, I would prefer a hindi oud for robust perfumery involving complex blending and the gen3 type ie Royal Sumatra as the vials to take the aroma from and reseal. I am happy to smell it from the vial. I have actually tried mixing drops of other gen3 here and there and the same remains true, potent and subtle, whereas the hindi will hold it's own (for me) as a perfume, though perhaps less therapeutically. It may differ wildly between sellers and how they produce their oils.
 
Hello oud fans!

I am a new member and would like to have the chance to introduce myself. I am Ethan New Mexico, United States. I have been in to fragrances for about 2 1/2 to 3 years now and have really enjoyed the journey thus far. I began it when i was going through some random shops with friends and stumbled upon a hello kitty perfume ( yes i know a very noble beginning) and smelt it as a joke but also out of interest. The scent was so hypnotizing, it was a scent i hadn’t smelled since my early childhood and it brought a rush of memories back to me. The thought of it stuck with me for days until i went back to buy it, because it had felt like i had unlocked something deep within me, but when i went back, it was gone. I guess my journey of fragrance has been lead with this search to find that smell again but on my path i have found different smells that have unlocked different memories and feelings. I began to drift away from the more conventional and mainstream perfumes and delve into some house such as Argos and Joe Malone but those soon did leave me almost in a way bored. I began to subtly search for other perfumes that might help me find what i was looking for though i don’t know much what it is i am looking for. I began to stumble across artisanal perfumes and they caught my eye. And that is when i found this form. I have been eagerly watching it from the sidelines and watching all the conversations unfold, while also looking into new artisanal houses. My first artisanal perfume was Elkhaldi Dukkan, and its depth and richness captivated my spirits. I was hooked. I then tried some samples from Lost Tribe. I ended up ordering Blacks Opps and Pan’s Labrynth. Black Ops felt so rich and flavorful that i couldn’t stop smelling my wrist for hours on end. But it was Pan’s Labrynth that did away with my will to resist. It wasn’t the same as the fragrance that started me on my journey, but it was close, but it also had a bit of a different effect. This one made me think of the past, but also of the future. This fragrance captivated my heart and my thoughts and i can’t really explain it. Scent is more than just a sense for me to put it simply. I have a deep connection to it, deeper than bones, and so i couldn’t keep myself away any longer, so here i am now to grow my knowledge on the most beautiful world of artisanal fragrances. I am very excited to be a part of this community and to begin my oud journey. Thank you for reading this long introduction! I appreciate yall!
 
Top