Hi everyone, I'm Nathan. I'm an incense maker (my work is closest to Chinese style, I think) and enthusiast currently based in Chicago, U.S.A. I don't work much with oud yet, but I find the material really compelling, whether in a stick or on the heater. Most of the oud my heater sees these days is skins from a Crassna Khmer purchase some time ago. They're certainly not as sweet and rich as the high-end materials that Ken Cannata and KyaraZen have access to, but I do enjoy them a little at a time on a low heat. A fellow incense maker also kindly gave me some higher end wood samples which I have been enjoying slowly and with great trepidation (list below if you're interested). I'm a big fan of natural aromatics in their resin or raw plant form, from frankincense to musk root, lavender, sandalwood, etc. I write about incense and incense-making on my website.

Samples I was given:
* Brunei, Kinam, Ensar Oud
* Cambodi, AAA, Agaroots
* Green Kinam, AAA, Yuzhi Oud
* 2022 Hmarkhawlien, Rising Phoenix
* 2021 Sinking Viet Quang Binh, Rising Phoenix
* White Kinam Bead Waste, Yuzhi Oud
@Nathan : I loved The Fragrant Path, the book you recommended. It was one of my favorites, THE favorite I’ve read so far on the topic. It made me appreciate my Japanese incense habit so much more.
 
@Nathan : I loved The Fragrant Path, the book you recommended. It was one of my favorites, THE favorite I’ve read so far on the topic. It made me appreciate my Japanese incense habit so much more.
It is an incredible read. It's so hard to find good information on incense in the English-speaking world; I'm very grateful there are people out there like Cousineau who make this information more accessible. Now if I could only find an English translation of Zhou Jiaxuan’s History of Incense; I'd kill to read about some of those ingredient processing techniques.
 
It is an incredible read. It's so hard to find good information on incense in the English-speaking world; I'm very grateful there are people out there like Cousineau who make this information more accessible. Now if I could only find an English translation of Zhou Jiaxuan’s History of Incense; I'd kill to read about some of those ingredient processing techniques.
I haven't actually read that one. Might buy a copy today off Amazon!
 
Hello all, my name is Hollywood (yes thats my real name) and I am from SF, CA, USA. I am a natural perfume student and beginner formulator with ancestral (arab) affinities for oud, sandalwood, and all other related olfactory goodness of this earth. I decided to join after reading the shocking, but not surprising truth about JK delapp. I intend on making sure i source materials according to my own ethics and am so glad I did not purchase any oud yet from them. I look forward to the journey and am humbled in this space, thank you!
 
Hello all, my name is Hollywood (yes thats my real name) and I am from SF, CA, USA. I am a natural perfume student and beginner formulator with ancestral (arab) affinities for oud, sandalwood, and all other related olfactory goodness of this earth. I decided to join after reading the shocking, but not surprising truth about JK delapp. I intend on making sure i source materials according to my own ethics and am so glad I did not purchase any oud yet from them. I look forward to the journey and am humbled in this space, thank you!

Welcome aboard. But i gotta say, that's a cool name 😄🫡
 
Hey All,
I’m Rudy. A graduate student and beginner perfume enthusiast. Started to get into attars and oud oils. Planning to visit India soon to get started properly on this hobby. Love perfumes because you can forgot who a person was or what they looked like. But you will never forget their scent. Nice to meet y’all. Favorite combo: rose/oud.
 
Last edited:
Hey All,
I’m Rudy. A graduate student and beginner perfume enthusiast. Started to get into attars and oud oils. Planning to visit India soon to get started properly on this hobby. Love perfumes because you can forgot who a person was or what they looked like. But you will never forget their scent. Nice to meet y’all. Favorite combo: rose/oud.
Corrected for spelling and grammar. Autocorrect messed me up.
 
  • Haha
Reactions: Joe
Hey All,
I’m Rudy. A graduate student and beginner perfume enthusiast. Started to get into attars and oud oils. Planning to visit India soon to get started properly on this hobby. Love perfumes because you can forgot who a person was or what they looked like. But you will never forget their scent. Nice to meet y’all. Favorite combo: rose/oud.
My favorite combo as well!
 
Hello everyone, I’m a few years into my perfume journey and my tastes range from Rasasi’s Al Boruzz Asrar Indonesia, Bortinkoff Moss Cologne, Andy Tauer’s L’Oudh, and Francesca Bianchi’s Byzantine Amber. I’ve been studying up on Oudh for a couple years, mostly online, I live in the U.S. and Oudh is not something most people outside of perfume lovers are familiar with. I find it fascinating that Aquilaria trees produce these fragrant oils as a result of injury or infection. I’m looking to try some Laotian Oudh oils. Does anyone here have a guess what kind of Laotian Oudh oil he uses in L’Oudh?
 
Hello everyone, I’m a few years into my perfume journey and my tastes range from Rasasi’s Al Boruzz Asrar Indonesia, Bortinkoff Moss Cologne, Andy Tauer’s L’Oudh, and Francesca Bianchi’s Byzantine Amber. I’ve been studying up on Oudh for a couple years, mostly online, I live in the U.S. and Oudh is not something most people outside of perfume lovers are familiar with. I find it fascinating that Aquilaria trees produce these fragrant oils as a result of injury or infection. I’m looking to try some Laotian Oudh oils. Does anyone here have a guess what kind of Laotian Oudh oil he uses in L’Oudh?
Welcome, @Appalachian to ouddict and thank you for posting rather than just lurking! I have no idea about the Lao Oud, but Bortinkoff is my favorite semi-natural perfumer. I own about half his works. When I was into synthetics, I loved 9and still do a little) Serge Lutens and Roja Dove. Again, welcome aboard! Feel free to DM me with any questions you might have!

Joe
 
Hi everyone,
I’m really happy to be here and to introduce myself to all of you.
First of all, I’m a fragrance lover above everything else. Perfume is a real passion for me, and I have a very special place in my heart for oud. I absolutely love it — I collect it, I buy it, and I enjoy discovering its many facets over time.
Whenever I have the chance to travel to places where oud is part of the culture — especially Southeast Asia — I always try to find high-quality oud, meet passionate people, and support local artisans and distillers who work with care and authenticity.
Over time, I’ve built a collection that I truly enjoy, and I’m always excited to learn more, discover new profiles, and exchange with people who share the same love for this material.
I joined this forum with a very open and friendly mindset, and I’m really looking forward to connecting with you all, learning from your experiences, and being part of this community.
Thank you for having me, and I’m happy to be here 😊
 
Hi everyone!

I'm so thrilled to be here! I've been surfing this forum for 3 days waiting to be approved 😂

I am an Australian who lives in a small country town in New South Wales. Im 42 years old.

My fragrance journey started out with the typical designer perfumes. Very quickly I discovered the niche market and things took off from there.
I collected vintage Aventus for some time and at one point had the largest collection of it that people knew of at that time.

I started to get into other houses like Roja, Amouage and Xerjoff and discovered this thing called Oud in their perfumes.

I quickly quickly began to love it and so did my wife.
I gravitate towards skanky or barnyard Oud but my wife is a fan, she tolerates me wearing it tho😂

I have NEVER smelled real wild Oud. The closest thing I have is an attar.
I avoided going down this road (artisional oud) for around 12 months because I knew the hole would be deep.
Disappointed with each release from perfume houses, I have decided now is the time to get my nose on real Oud.
Like any beginner I'm super keen to learn and start from the beginning with my Oud choices.

I am super excited to be hear! Have already connected with some people over FB and IG from this forum as I was waiting to be approved.

Ordered my first sample kit yesterday from @Habz786 and my experience with him was nothing short of exceptional.

I cannot wait to get started 😁

Cheers
 
Hi everyone!

I'm so thrilled to be here! I've been surfing this forum for 3 days waiting to be approved 😂

I am an Australian who lives in a small country town in New South Wales. Im 42 years old.

My fragrance journey started out with the typical designer perfumes. Very quickly I discovered the niche market and things took off from there.
I collected vintage Aventus for some time and at one point had the largest collection of it that people knew of at that time.

I started to get into other houses like Roja, Amouage and Xerjoff and discovered this thing called Oud in their perfumes.

I quickly quickly began to love it and so did my wife.
I gravitate towards skanky or barnyard Oud but my wife is a fan, she tolerates me wearing it tho😂

I have NEVER smelled real wild Oud. The closest thing I have is an attar.
I avoided going down this road (artisional oud) for around 12 months because I knew the hole would be deep.
Disappointed with each release from perfume houses, I have decided now is the time to get my nose on real Oud.
Like any beginner I'm super keen to learn and start from the beginning with my Oud choices.

I am super excited to be hear! Have already connected with some people over FB and IG from this forum as I was waiting to be approved.

Ordered my first sample kit yesterday from @Habz786 and my experience with him was nothing short of exceptional.

I cannot wait to get started 😁

Cheers
Welcome aboard, glad you’re here!
 
Hi everyone!

I'm so thrilled to be here! I've been surfing this forum for 3 days waiting to be approved 😂

I am an Australian who lives in a small country town in New South Wales. Im 42 years old.

My fragrance journey started out with the typical designer perfumes. Very quickly I discovered the niche market and things took off from there.
I collected vintage Aventus for some time and at one point had the largest collection of it that people knew of at that time.

I started to get into other houses like Roja, Amouage and Xerjoff and discovered this thing called Oud in their perfumes.

I quickly quickly began to love it and so did my wife.
I gravitate towards skanky or barnyard Oud but my wife is a fan, she tolerates me wearing it tho😂

I have NEVER smelled real wild Oud. The closest thing I have is an attar.
I avoided going down this road (artisional oud) for around 12 months because I knew the hole would be deep.
Disappointed with each release from perfume houses, I have decided now is the time to get my nose on real Oud.
Like any beginner I'm super keen to learn and start from the beginning with my Oud choices.

I am super excited to be hear! Have already connected with some people over FB and IG from this forum as I was waiting to be approved.

Ordered my first sample kit yesterday from @Habz786 and my experience with him was nothing short of exceptional.

I cannot wait to get started 😁

Cheers
Yes! Another Aussie. Welcome mate.😁🙏
 
Top