Rising Phoenix - Al Molouk Musk. I was looking through my samples earlier and noticed I had this one, still practically full - so I gave it a swipe. It's nice but really nothing's jumping out at me about it. Could just be this ain't my kinda smell; I do prefer darker, heavier scents whereas this is rather light.
Had the same experience yesterday with 'Bushido' where all I can smell is cloves. And a few 'Al Ghaliyas' that I've tried by a couple of brands (RPP, Mellifluence, Elixir) have done nothing for me either

I really do think my sense of smell is horrendous as I can never pick out on notes/accords/...anything.

On the other hand I swiped Dark Nights by Agar Aromas (now AromSublime I believe) which I like - a much heavier profile. Not sure what I'm smelling, but I like it. A little musky perhaps, but I wouldn't think of actual deer musk
 
A true attar (or itr), I suppose. Tony Bolton's (Agar Aromas / AromaSublime) 'Frangipandal' - a co-distillation of sandalwood and frangipani. And ,it smells incredible. The florals are the most pronounced, but it really pops out. Sweet, bright and yellow in hue, tempered a bit with the sandalwood. Something really interesting to experience, for sure.
 
RPP - Tutankhamun Blue Lotus Attar
opens up with a zesty, limey Omani frankincense. the presence of blue lotus is not so strong. it has delicate ethereal honey-ish sweetness.
creamy buttery sandalwood comes out around 10 minutes. slightest touch of myrrh adds a bit of bitterness and sweetness.
ambergris just works as an enhancer.

transition is pretty much linear other than the frankincense to sandalwood that I got from the opening.
the composition of this oil is simple, low density.

I need to wear this more time but so far, it's not a wowzer.
 
A true attar (or itr), I suppose. Tony Bolton's (Agar Aromas / AromaSublime) 'Frangipandal' - a co-distillation of sandalwood and frangipani. And ,it smells incredible. The florals are the most pronounced, but it really pops out. Sweet, bright and yellow in hue, tempered a bit with the sandalwood. Something really interesting to experience, for sure.
It must be a very beautiful oil, dear Sproaty. Congrats!
 
As long as the 6 or so individuals that grabbed multiple bottles are able to enjoy it I guess that’s all that matters. Still salty about that one hahah!

That's a shame, hope we don't see them pop up being resold at a markup.
I'd ordered from him the day after this had sold out and would've grabbed one 🙁
 
Oh yes got my 50 ml of sandalwood oil from Amit in India. It is not the same batch as last year. Based on the top note, this smells like a finer oil actually than it did a year ago. Smooth mellow woody sandalwood top note and heart note. I just swiped this a little while ago so I won't know about the bass note for a few more hours. Still at only a little over two dollars per milliliter plus shipping this is the best sandalwood deal I have seen in ages.

50 ml of nice smooth sandalwood for $150 total including express shipping from India faster than US domestic shipping.

can't stop grinning.
 
Oh yes got my 50 ml of sandalwood oil from Amit in India. It is not the same batch as last year. Based on the top note, this smells like a finer oil actually than it did a year ago. Smooth mellow woody sandalwood top note and heart note. I just swiped this a little while ago so I won't know about the bass note for a few more hours. Still at only a little over two dollars per milliliter plus shipping this is the best sandalwood deal I have seen in ages.

50 ml of nice smooth sandalwood for $150 total including express shipping from India faster than US domestic shipping.

can't stop grinning.
That's awesome! Looks like mine should be here tomorrow! Crazy about the shipping isn't it? I have tons of stuff coming from the US and Canada that I ordered well before this. Yet here it is from India!
 
Base notes are ok - reasonably persistent and classic sandalwood scent. It will take me a few days to really understand this and how it performs.

my first impression is that last year's batch performed a little better in terms of how the dry down persisted and projected. Honestly I can't really tell because I've smelled so much of this now that I've become desensitized. Tomorrow I'll be able to tell for sure because if this is top notch oil any residue on my sweater that I've been wearing today will have an obvious rich fragrance easily appreciated with a "fresh nose"
 
Last edited:
RPP - Tutankhamun Blue Lotus Attar
opens up with a zesty, limey Omani frankincense. the presence of blue lotus is not so strong. it has delicate ethereal honey-ish sweetness.
creamy buttery sandalwood comes out around 10 minutes. slightest touch of myrrh adds a bit of bitterness and sweetness.
ambergris just works as an enhancer.

transition is pretty much linear other than the frankincense to sandalwood that I got from the opening.
the composition of this oil is simple, low density.

I need to wear this more time but so far, it's not a wowzer.
Have you tried his Thai Blue Lotus Attar? I find this one outstanding.
 
Back
Top