Al Majmua - Areej Le Dore
I didnt wanna apply Beauty and the Beast before sleep, sorry @Mousse de Chene šŸ˜….
It smells somehow like I imagined.
Its a juicy fruity green opening with the blackcurrant and bergamot. Develops slowly into a more green spicy cola scent. A beautiful experience!
Although I dont prefer green scents or chypre, I can imagine myself wearing this frequently due to this modern juicy aspect.
I didn't try Musk Lave yet, but if it is darker and less green + the lavender, I can imagine how it will smell like 🤩
 
Beauty and the Beast - Areej Le Dore
Here we go, you spray it and nowhere to hide. The classic Rose Oud!
First sniff a load of hindi oud and juicy Rose. You smell its hindi oud but its not overwhelming or barny because the rose rapidly wraps around the oud and gives it a juicy tangy twist. What I like is that in the beginning you will clearly smell the cocoa. Is it necessary? Maybe Do I like to smell it with Oud and Rose? I would say no but luckily it will slowly dive inbetween the Oud and Rose and build a soft bridge.
Disclaimer: I am not a rose fan. I would never apply pure rose oil on me but I dont mind wearing Oud Rose so I wear Ajmal Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq whenever I have to run out of the house. I sprayed it next to BatB and I have to say the difference is big. The ALD has a more juicy tangy rose. Overall it smells more rounded and better mixed and waay more natural than the Ajmal.
Price is the only problem: 390 for 50ml or 100 for 60ml šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
If you have the money, I would stick to Beauty and the beast
 
I tried a blend suggested by Abubakr Al Misky if any of you know him from the old basenotes oud heyday.

Ambergris
Rose otto
Sandalwood
Frankincense (small amount)

No specific ratio I just layered.

This blend is very nice, especially in terms of how it changes over time. There is an interesting interplay between the ambergris, sandalwood and frankincense as the oil dries down.
I miss this brother a LOT! Bought a few oils from him and they were always top notc. Aluwwah was the brand name he was selling under IIRC.
 
Great write, I have Malik Al Taif, which I hear, BNB is sorta close to, only no cocoa. Ajmal is great, but for sure they're using commercial methods.
Talking about Malik Al Taif, I got a sad story 🄲 see Randoms thread
Scentwise its very similar to Beauty and the beast. It does smell softer on the oud and a bit more rich and complex maybe but if you are wearing it and people are smelling you, they wont smell a difference I guess. I dont know how the indian BNB rose smell so juicy and citrussy.
Ps. The BNB drydown is like a beautiful smelling chocolate. I like that
 
Beauty and the Beast - Areej Le Dore
Here we go, you spray it and nowhere to hide. The classic Rose Oud!
First sniff a load of hindi oud and juicy Rose. You smell its hindi oud but its not overwhelming or barny because the rose rapidly wraps around the oud and gives it a juicy tangy twist. What I like is that in the beginning you will clearly smell the cocoa. Is it necessary? Maybe Do I like to smell it with Oud and Rose? I would say no but luckily it will slowly dive inbetween the Oud and Rose and build a soft bridge.
Disclaimer: I am not a rose fan. I would never apply pure rose oil on me but I dont mind wearing Oud Rose so I wear Ajmal Mukhallat Dahn Al Oud Moattaq whenever I have to run out of the house. I sprayed it next to BatB and I have to say the difference is big. The ALD has a more juicy tangy rose. Overall it smells more rounded and better mixed and waay more natural than the Ajmal.
Price is the only problem: 390 for 50ml or 100 for 60ml šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
If you have the money, I would stick to Beauty and the beast
Thank very much for the information, Obada. Appreciate it, sir.
It sounds like something I would enjoy quite a bit. A 100% natural Hindi Oud / Rose themed spray is a format that I have been on the look out for years, they’re quite rare to stumble across. From all accounts, Malik Al Taif is the one I need but I won’t pay aftermarket prices for it blind.
Beauty & The Beast sounds like a good option, but is it worth the money when I have attars that do a similar thing? The best simple Hindi Oud / Rose attars I’ve found are; Sheikh Khalifa 2017 by RPP & Haru by The Oud Lab
I don’t know why I want a spray version, maybe the convenience.

If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great.
 
Al Shareef Jumaana
Of the several jasmine oils and attars I have smelled this is my favorite. The jasmine itself is the best I have smelled, and the enhancement of musk and oud are perfect. Everything sits so nicely together and feels like a single scent to me, basically like better jasmine. Definitely recommended if you haven't tried it.
 
Al Shareef Jumaana
Of the several jasmine oils and attars I have smelled this is my favorite. The jasmine itself is the best I have smelled, and the enhancement of musk and oud are perfect. Everything sits so nicely together and feels like a single scent to me, basically like better jasmine. Definitely recommended if you haven't tried it.
I agree! This is my favorite jasmine from Alshareef! Just like you said an up class exquisite version of jasmine.
 
Thank very much for the information, Obada. Appreciate it, sir.
It sounds like something I would enjoy quite a bit. A 100% natural Hindi Oud / Rose themed spray is a format that I have been on the look out for years, they’re quite rare to stumble across. From all accounts, Malik Al Taif is the one I need but I won’t pay aftermarket prices for it blind.
Beauty & The Beast sounds like a good option, but is it worth the money when I have attars that do a similar thing? The best simple Hindi Oud / Rose attars I’ve found are; Sheikh Khalifa 2017 by RPP & Haru by The Oud Lab
I don’t know why I want a spray version, maybe the convenience.

If anyone has any recommendations, that would be great.
My favorite attar is Melange Privee SQ from Ensar. I cannot begin to explain how good that oil smells. It's a very simple combination of just oud and rose, but it feels like they were made by god himself just for this attar. I know it's expensive, but I bought blind and I haven't had a moment of buyers remorse.
 
He's got two others if I recall but this one is great stuff and to my liking. I have yet to come across something elsewhere that could knock Jumana. The search is still on but this one is on the top list!
I like Musk Jasmine from Craftoud and Attar Ansa'ar from Tabeer Oud. Both very skanky compared to Jumaana but that's how I like it 😺
 
Raja Kasturi (OG) from Craftoud.

I love how clean this is for a musk/floral, it wears great in hot weather. It has a deodorizing quality like shamama without being spicy or bitter. The cleanness comes mostly from what was a 'bug spray' level of kaleidoscopic fresh florals: more citrusy than indolic. After a year the florals have settled to become rich and refined, while maintaining freshness in the top notes. The musk maceration is also very clean, I saw @Loudover described it as salty which is really on point. Excited to try the new version.
 
Last edited:
SandalMints from OleFaktory. This is my most used attar, I had to buy an extra tola as I already finished the first bottle! I use this first thing in the morning, mostly on clothes to create a powerful ice storm of invigorating mint. It's really extreme at first but calms down after a few hours, leaving room for other attars.
 
Today I have been working on a Sandalwood spray. I am not a guy who likes to go light on the sandalwood so it is a challenge to find good sandalwood at a price that allows me to enjoy it since I tend to use more in one application than any other oil in my collection… anything under 5g of sandalwood oil feels like a sample…

The spray is nice because I can avoid using too much of any one oil and spray a thin layer. Sandalwood from mature / wild trees has such excellent tenacity and long-term performance that when applied this way it leaves a subtle clean warm woody aroma that lasts and lasts…

To avoid using up too much of my good distilled oil I always make a blend of the following (listed from highest to lowest # of the blend)
1. Ethanol 95% is the majority by far. How much sandalwood I add varies…

2. Ordinary mid grade S.album sandalwood oil (I use one without odd ancillary notes).

#3-7 are to add character or intensity to the top/middle/base.

3. Smaller amount of one or two ā€œodd noteā€ S. album of which I have a few from rksons and some us retailers.

4. A tad of sandalwood co2 total (thick stuff, this has a strong top note of freshcut sandalwood timber and a sweet maple/fenugreek scent). Also lasts forever on whatever you put it on because it is thick like honey.

5. A tad of sandalwood co2 select (this has punch and adds a very distinct dry old clean Sandalwood aspect - I imagine the aroma of one of those rooms for storing cigars, but filled with sandalwood instead).

6. A small amount of either Vanuatu or New Caledonia oil. Vanuatu adds intensity to the heart note, New Caledonia of good quality has an amazing classic sandalwood dry down.

7. Sometimes I add a small amount of some other material besides sandalwood - fenugreek, ambergris, clove… still working on this.

What is amazing is how powerful Sandalwood is as a suppressor of these other fragrances. For example, the amount of fenugreek I have to add to the mix to just perceive it is very high, multiples of what it would be to achieve a strong effect without the Sandalwood. It is almost paradoxical, because the sandalwood aroma is relatively very mild, yet it covers up scents that i would expect a stronger smelling oil to have a hard time masking.

Sandalwood is powerful stuff from a perfume shaping perspective

This got way too long… but in the end the spray is wonderful and just smells like an unusually rich top shelf santalum album in spite of mainly consuming my mid grade stash.

I make 2oz of this at a time and spray this on my clothes, hair, neck, whatever…
 
Last edited:
Dang that was a long one. Must’ve had too much caffeine.

I’ve just been sniffing these ambergris specimens that I got from Tyson a while back. They are alcohol extracts with the alcohol evaporated. Resin? Resinoid? Folded tincture!


The two oils on the right are similar, smelling a lot like old white ambergris - clean marine with earthy elements but zero fecal or halitosis notes- whatever he used must’ve been adrift for a long time.

They are hard like wax, so I wanted to make one of these into a super concentrated oil and save one in pure form in case I regretted it. I used sandalwood oil to dissolve the one in the middle. That’s about 50% sandalwood oil 50% ambergris resinoid. The two seem to balance reasonably well. It starts to solidify with ambrein crystals if left alone in a cool spot - it won’t pour like cold honey.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_0954.webp
    146.7 KB · Views: 78
Back
Top