Last night I applied a small smudge of carnation absolute on my wrist and a small dab of jasmine on my forearm. That was an olfactory trip… I got wafts of each of different florals and and all kinds of ratios of their scents as all the mixing was happening in the air.

I enjoy layered / separate md mixtures so much better than homogeneous perfume blends
 
Taif Rose - ASO. This is like the Kyara of Rose oils!
You can tell the level of skill that goes into the distillation of this stuff. Zero off notes, none of that metallic copper scent that plagues many Rose oils, just pristine, sparkling Rosy goodness.
Very psychoactive, medicinal - powerfully lifts the mood.

I look forward to swiping some Hindi Oud on top, when I finish up at work this afternoon.
 
“Kyara of rose oils” I like this.

Taif Rose - ASO. This is like the Kyara of Rose oils!
You can tell the level of skill that goes into the distillation of this stuff. Zero off notes, none of that metallic copper scent that plagues many Rose oils, just pristine, sparkling Rosy goodness.
Very psychoactive, medicinal - powerfully lifts the mood.

I look forward to swiping some Hindi Oud on top, when I finish up at work this afternoon.
 
Saturday morning, breakfast at a cafe with the family - Oud Rosa by Dixit & Zak.
100% natural, high quality Oud / Rose / Musk EDP spray.
Fresh bergamot & lime off the top, followed by an array of various Rose ottos; Ruh Gulab, Turkish, Bulgarian. Spicy notes; Saffron, Henna.

Beautiful Ouds in the base; Hindi, Hainan, Thai, Vietnamese.
Bengal Sandalwood filling in the gaps.
The Musk tincture is the star of the show in my opinion, it transforms the other notes, really gives the impression of old world Indian perfumery.
Whenever I wear it, it puts a spring in my step & recalls days gone by.
 
Great review sir, I am interested in this house but there are some negative reviews about their latest releases. Probably will put together a sample set soon.

Saturday morning, breakfast at a cafe with the family - Oud Rosa by Dixit & Zak.
100% natural, high quality Oud / Rose / Musk EDP spray.
Fresh bergamot & lime off the top, followed by an array of various Rose ottos; Ruh Gulab, Turkish, Bulgarian. Spicy notes; Saffron, Henna.

Beautiful Ouds in the base; Hindi, Hainan, Thai, Vietnamese.
Bengal Sandalwood filling in the gaps.
The Musk tincture is the star of the show in my opinion, it transforms the other notes, really gives the impression of old world Indian perfumery.
Whenever I wear it, it puts a spring in my step & recalls days gone by.
 
Taif Rose - ASO. This is like the Kyara of Rose oils!
You can tell the level of skill that goes into the distillation of this stuff. Zero off notes, none of that metallic copper scent that plagues many Rose oils, just pristine, sparkling Rosy goodness.
Very psychoactive, medicinal - powerfully lifts the mood.

I look forward to swiping some Hindi Oud on top, when I finish up at work this afternoon.
Great choice, I love wearing that rose with Hindi ouds. It's amazing how incensy it becomes after being applied.
 
Great review sir, I am interested in this house but there are some negative reviews about their latest releases. Probably will put together a sample set soon.
Thanks brother. I can’t speak for their other releases, but this one is good. I think they might use synthetic materials in some of their releases, but this one is 100% natural.
A sample pack is definitely the way to go, I took a risk purchasing Oud Rosa blind.
 
I received a bottle of Bulgarian rose otto in the mail yesterday. It is from Alteya Organics. It’s not as good as it should be. I don’t know if it’s because it’s about a year from last year’s crop or if this was from one of their producers that was being a little less careful in terms of handling the roses.

Mediocre… it lacks all of the sparkling, fresh quality that a good Bulgarian rose oil should have, just an intense, fuzzy Rose scent.b it kind of smells like what the last few drops of rose oil smell like in a bottle that I’ve been carrying around with me for a year.


It occurs to me the last batch I got did not say organic rose oil on it (this one does). The samples of organically grown rose otto I have experience in the past have also been kind of mediocre / dull in fragrance. The batch I had last year that did not say it was organic was vastly superior to this stuff. I would say do not buy from Altea until they harvest their next batch. Funny - the Rose absolute i got this year was also significant cut below last year’s. It’s a nice nuances, but was less intense in fragrance and also a paler color.

In the photo, the one on the left is sublime, the one on the right might as wel be cheap bulk Turkish oil

I wonder if this could be an example of a kind of “shrinkflation” - where they are compromising a bit on quality to be able to increase their margins without raising the price so much that people get turned off?

Or did they just pour the very bottom of one of their large bottles that they had left on the shelf for a year and I just got the dregs by chance?

I have contacted them to ask for an explanation, we will see what they say.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    IMG_0633.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
I received a bottle of Bulgarian rose otto in the mail yesterday. It is from Alteya Organics. It’s not as good as it should be. I don’t know if it’s because it’s about a year from last year’s crop or if this was from one of their producers that was being a little less careful in terms of handling the roses.

Mediocre… it lacks all of the sparkling, fresh quality that a good Bulgarian rose oil should have, just an intense, fuzzy Rose scent.


It occurs to me the last batch I got did not say organic rose oil on it (this one does). The samples of organically grown rose otto I have experience in the past have also been kind of mediocre / dull in fragrance. The batch I had last year that did not say it was organic was vastly superior to this stuff. I would say do not buy from Altea until they harvest their next batch because the stuff is boring.

In the photo, the one on the left is sublime, the one on the right might as wel be cheap bulk Turkish oil
Never tried their otto, but the absolute from 2022 batch is fantastic. Looking forward to the 2023 batch of the absolute.
 
I got some of their absolute not too long ago (2022 harvest I assume) and I agree it is really nice. I did notice that this year’s batch has some nice subtle nuances of fresh garden roses that were not something i noticed in the bottle from 2021. The bottle from 2021 is actually amazing - all kinds of heavenly damascena citrusy notes… wish I had stocked up on that. It is much redder in color and quite a bit more pungent.
 
I revisited the Bulgarian otto just in case my nose was deceiving me. Nope - dull geranium, bland simple rose note without any complexity. I compared to the last two drops of the last bottle I got, which has not been treated very kindly as it’s been in my pocket for months, lots of oxygen. It still blows the new one out of the water. The old batch had vertical complexity - in any given moment you could smell little pepper or fresh apple or citrus notes - a complex interplay of aromas. It also had horizontal complexity: the initial aroma was distinct from the heart notes, which were distinct from the base.

What has me scratching my head is that all of that is absent from this 2022 batch of rose oil. It reminds me of this ruh gulab I got one time that was just straight mellow rose fuzz from top to bottom with no character, change over time, or fresh / airy notes.
 
Last edited:
I'm wearing Hasna from brother @Habz786

"HASNA" or "حسناء" which means "Beautiful" in arabic, is a descriptive/adjective (among many others) that is mostly associated to women, "Very beautiful women".

Brother Habib gave me the opportunity to meet one of the most "Hasnaa" I've laid my (eyes) nose on! A Blond delicate sophisticated one! The attar I mean! 😅

A Beautiful floral sandalwood! The description on his website is spot on! How the florals and sandalwood are complementing each other and being present at same time! You don't get overwhelmed by the floral side but again you don't get a plain sandalwood oil! An enhanced version of sandal oil with "happy" floral facets!
Just beautiful!
Great stuff from Habz as always 🙏
 
I tried a blend suggested by Abubakr Al Misky if any of you know him from the old basenotes oud heyday.

Ambergris
Rose otto
Sandalwood
Frankincense (small amount)

No specific ratio I just layered.

This blend is very nice, especially in terms of how it changes over time. There is an interesting interplay between the ambergris, sandalwood and frankincense as the oil dries down.
 
Back
Top