Where did you find this? I’ve only seen their perfume version.
i bought 5ml of the perfume from a trusted source, i poured it on a glass table and used a hair dryer with cold ait to fan circles around the liquid to keep it from spreading to more surface until it evaporated, then i collected the oil with two razors. got .2-.3g from 5ml of the perfume. once i smelled how amazing the oil smelled compared to the perfume i invested in another 15ml and did the same! the only visible changes my nose is getting is less rose, more kyara and more potency - longevity - projection. honeslty I cant understand why diser wouldnt be selling oil versions of their perfumes or this specific kyara perfume with much less rose. regardless, the perfume is gorgeous as is, especially if your nose can divide all the notes throughout at any particular moment of each stage. it is a gem. only problem i had with the perfume was longevity, this def changed things
 
Really amazed how fast my order of Bulgarian Alba Rose got to me, perks of living in the same area as @wardlab

The rose is quite interesting with notable transition from open to drydown. I added a tiny bit to my musk, saffron maceration, the rose should add a nice top/middle with floral and bitter green notes

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Amouage Jubilation XXV. It evokes happiness and reminds me of the joy of the festivals when I was a child.
Not too long ago I bought a sample set of the Amouage attars. I don't have Jubilation in there, but I've fallen in love with Oud Ulya, Incense Rori, and Saffron Hamra. I don't think they have a ton of natural oud in them, but there's some. Regardless, the scents are so compelling. I'm really happy with them.
 
Rose of the Day

Sampling Rose Damascena Ksahan, Iran 2020 with Rose Hasayan, Kannauj, India 2021 from @wardlab I think like most (?) Americans, at least in my time, rose was grandma's and it wasn't until Areej Le Dore' released Malik al Taif that I found rose could be dark, deep and alluring, especially paired to Oud. Now this oud head is on to something good.
Rose Hasayan went on smelling of a rose garden, the morning dew carrying the aroma of roses, red succulent roses. Whereas R. Damascena has a greener, deeper almost intoxicating open. 2 things the same smelling so far apart YET recognizably the same!
 
My fragrance of the day is wild multiflora rose. Today I am hoping to distill a small batch to see what kind of rose water I can get from it. I would not expect to get even a drop of oil, although the flowers are pretty fragrant.

I’ll have to move fast because many of the flowers on the bushes are now past their prime so harvest will take a bit of selective snipping.

This is an invasive species, so as a side benefit to this process, I’ll be helping to control it to some degree. It would be nice to control invasive species by distilling them if they smell good enough.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    BD49EA8C-02C5-4F8A-AF63-2CE01ADE7682.webp
    99.6 KB · Views: 97
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    7CE9A7EB-8B28-4916-8002-AC2995273D0D.webp
    380.4 KB · Views: 114
My fragrance of the day is wild multiflora rose. Today I am hoping to distill a small batch to see what kind of rose water I can get from it. I would not expect to get even a drop of oil, although the flowers are pretty fragrant.

I’ll have to move fast because many of the flowers on the bushes are now past their prime so harvest will take a bit of selective snipping.

This is an invasive species, so as a side benefit to this process, I’ll be helping to control it to some degree. It would be nice to control invasive species by distilling them if they smell good enough.
When you are done with collecting some hydrosol, maybe just to get an idea, add some sandalwood oil in the collector and see how the attar with these flowers smells like if they are very fragrant?
 
Last edited:
Depending on the characteristics of the distillate, I might well buy some cheap plantation sandalwood, and start making some attars with this and other local wildflowers.

Here is a picture of my distillation set up along with one “charge” worth of wild rose that I picked for my first test.

I’m just going to do one run of distilled water before I put in the flowers just to clear out any residue from the last distillation that i might’ve missed when cleaning.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    83EDC6B0-1B57-4F05-AC20-28832B2FFD76.webp
    367.2 KB · Views: 96
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    2FF3A76F-77E5-4C66-B8EA-DE4D3A9F3F34.webp
    425.8 KB · Views: 94
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    B71DCDE5-71FF-48AA-985B-929D186785BA.webp
    350.7 KB · Views: 104
  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    31FC9476-D0B3-48DC-8893-C1B47891BCC4.webp
    307.5 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Depending on the characteristics of the distillate, I might well buy some cheap plantation sandalwood, and start making some avatars with this and other local wildflowers.

Here is a picture of my distillation set up along with one “charge” worth of wild rose that I picked for my first test.

I’m just going to do one run of distilled water before I put in the flowers just to clear out any residue from the last distillation that i might’ve missed when cleaning.
I think it would be awesome to see what you come up with.

I think you would be a good Oudh distiller as well.
 
Thanks. Distilling oud sounds fun and I’d love to try but I think it’s too expensive and I wouldn’t know where to get raw materials at a price I could afford / quality I could trust. Not to mention the expense of having to go through learning the hard way what’s needed to get a decent product. Just sounds like a headache and best left for the experts. It’s one thing to screw up a batch of rosemary…

I think, realistically, I could hope to make decent sandalwood based attars or maybe use copaiba balsam or some other stable receiver oil (that I could buy in enough quantity to risk ruining it during the learning stages.) Copaiba has a nice mild green herbal smell and it is mostly beta-caryophyllene which is an anti inflammatory cannabinoid which is said to be healthful.


Speaking of such things, today I collected 400 ml of rosewater - took a little under an hour. I repeatedly tested the condensate and it was still smelling good when I decided to call it quits, but the bright rose notes clearly dwindling and rain was on the way.

With this cool weather, I can probably do at least another batch. In this case, the rose petals were up above the water, and it was wet steam passing through. I may try immersing the flowers in water next time to see what immersed Hydro distillation does but I worry that I might end up burning things on the bottom because it’s not a very big still.

These wild roses really make a nice rosewater, very obvious fresh tangy rose scent even fresh out of the still. Rosewater is kind of funny because I assume it goes bad within a few weeks like any standing water. I could mix with alcohol and use it as the base for perfume or freeze it I suppose.
 
Last edited:
I collected 400 ml of rosewater - took a little under an hour. I repeatedly tested the condensate and it was still smelling good when I decided to call it quits, but the bright rose notes clearly dwindling and rain was on the way.

With this cool weather, I can probably do at least another batch. In this case, the rose petals were up above the water, and it was wet steam passing through. I may try immersing the flowers in water next time to see what immersed Hydro distillation does but I worry that I might end up burning things on the bottom because it’s not a very big still.

These wild roses really make a nice rosewater, very obvious fresh tangy rose scent even fresh out of the still. Rosewater is kind of funny because I assume it goes bad within a few weeks like any standing water. I could mix with alcohol and use it as the base for perfume or freeze it I suppose.
If your distillation equipment was clean, and copper, your rose water should last a long time. We use rose water in our cooking and the bottles in the pantry never go off.

If you have too much water vs mass of petals you will just waste the oil, it won't be able to escape in an efficient manner. You pretty much want to pack the chamber with petals and just enough water to run through one run and pull all the oil out, you don't want to reflux.
 
Al Ghaliyah II by ASO. This is my regular after dinner cigar, a classic. Maybe the only blend which I wear solely on my wrist, it's so intense and studied.
One of my all time favourites, truely a comfortable composition.
A lovely contrast of fresh spicy / camphor top notes that develop into dark Rose, unfolding into the magical base of Musk, Malaysian Oud, Ambergris, ambery / vanillic Labdanum, the hint of smoke you smell in the air on a winter night.

Upon my first wearing, very early on in my discovery of Arabic perfumery, I instantly sent an embarrassing email to ASO proclaiming it to be the greatest thing I’d ever smelt haha. Tbh, I still think it might be!
 
Have any of you tried the attars from insta I'd scent_talks (Dr. Musharaf Bashir) from J&K India?

I recently got some natural attars from him. Most are heavy on civet, castoreum and oud, smells well blended in the sense that in unable to pick specific notes. But there are not many transitions or surprises. Most oils project and lasts like crazy.

I'd love some opinions and feedback in case you have experienced his oils. Thank you
 
Back
Top