The Oud Lab

AZERI BRIDAL ROSE​

Tola
1000004485.jpg

Himanshu Sharma

True Ouddict
Homemade blend with:
Rose (Just a hint)
Jasmine (Can't smell but feel it. It but it's there and it's beautiful)
Borneol
Saffron
Musk(clean)
Brown Ambergris
White Ambergris (A lot of it. This was the whitest piece I have ever seen)
Mysore Sandalwood from 1980s
Laos Oud (Dr. Incense)
Tigerwood Royale
Frankincense (From Tyson)
Hint of Cumin
Hint of Pink Pepper
Hint of Orris Butter (when i say hint, its a tiniest drop of 5% tincture)

Smells very very good.
A little Hinoki is going on for a first couple of seconds, giving way to this most beautiful saffron-drenched spicy rose which eventually gets sweeter.
30 mins into the dry down, rose gets lighter. More airy. With powdery and musky characters.
The ouds in the base reveal themselves much later.

I love it, so far. Smells well rounded off. The ratios were adjusted after a series of failures. I had no clue that orris can be so overpowering in a blend. Same with rose. These two can just eclipse every other nuance if added to the slightest excess.

Ibn Abdillah

True Ouddict
Homemade blend with:
Rose (Just a hint)
Jasmine (Can't smell but feel it. It but it's there and it's beautiful)
Borneol
Saffron
Musk(clean)
Brown Ambergris
White Ambergris (A lot of it. This was the whitest piece I have ever seen)
Mysore Sandalwood from 1980s
Laos Oud (Dr. Incense)
Tigerwood Royale
Frankincense (From Tyson)
Hint of Cumin
Hint of Pink Pepper
Hint of Orris Butter (when i say hint, its a tiniest drop of 5% tincture)

Smells very very good.
A little Hinoki is going on for a first couple of seconds, giving way to this most beautiful saffron-drenched spicy rose which eventually gets sweeter.
30 mins into the dry down, rose gets lighter. More airy. With powdery and musky characters.
The ouds in the base reveal themselves much later.

I love it, so far. Smells well rounded off. The ratios were adjusted after a series of failures. I had no clue that orris can be so overpowering in a blend. Same with rose. These two can just eclipse every other nuance if added to the slightest excess.
As always (and as I've said to others before) I'm happy to read that a homemade mix is successful.
It sounds beautiful, and u used some nice ingredients too.
Happy to read that you are happy with the results.

Shiningrobes

Oud Beginner
in the early 90s, I was able to get a couple of little bottles of French jasmine absolute from enfleurage. I forgot that I had diluted a fair amount in alcohol for perfume experiments (in retrospect I would’ve saved every drop and never used it for blending, but I thought I would be able to get more). A while back, I actually found the bottle of diluted absolute in a box of miscellaneous unlabeled bottles i had accumulated. That was like an unbelievable gift out of the blue because I thought I would never smell it again.

This material is so wonderful, balanced and subtle compared to any other jasmine extract I have smelled. I had purchased two different batches of the oil and this is from the second one which was a little bit softer than the first. I wish so much that I had saved a couple of milliliters of that first batch because it is by far the best floral thing I’ve ever smelled.

Still, can’t believe I have this bottle after all these years… Like finding a unicorn

View attachment 34523
I’m literally sitting by the window watching for a deliver of Jasmine enfleurage from Enfleurage that I bought on their one day 25% Earth Day sale. Got that along with Gardenia enfleurage and one of their two Tuberose…
HOLD THE PHONE! the bell rang with the delivery as I was literally typing that last sentence! WOW. Wow wow. All spectacular. I hate to pay NYC retail prices but they have some of the best florals I’ve ever smelled. Like I think you’d need to be a perfumer with years of connections to get some of the florals they carry. Of the three the Tuberose is singing to me the loudest. Imagine the scent of tuberose you might be accustomed to but with a note of a less brassy Ylang ylang along with copper distilled vetiver. Somehow earthly and ephemeral all at once. Extremely complex. I need to go and savor these amazing gifts.

Mr.P

oud<3er
Sweet! That is Jasmine polyanthum - or it was last time I checked. That has a very unique and especially charming fragrance for me. Quite distinct from grandiflorum. I believe Hermitage either does sell or used to sell a polyanthum enfleurage extraction as well.

The tuberose sounds especially interesting because the absolute extracts of that flower really don't smell like the fresh flower at all. It's a wonderful absolute but it captures a different aspect of the plant along with the aromas from the flowers and I've heard that only the enfleurage can approach the scent of fresh flowers. I have considered buying some from that shop more than once

Enjoy those rarities. Good times that we can order things like this online and have them dropped at our doorsteps!

Shiningrobes

Oud Beginner
Sweet! That is Jasmine polyanthum - or it was last time I checked. That has a very unique and especially charming fragrance for me. Quite distinct from grandiflorum. I believe Hermitage either does sell or used to sell a polyanthum enfleurage extraction as well.

The tuberose sounds especially interesting because the absolute extracts of that flower really don't smell like the fresh flower at all. It's a wonderful absolute but it captures a different aspect of the plant along with the aromas from the flowers and I've heard that only the enfleurage can approach the scent of fresh flowers. I have considered buying some from that shop more than once

Enjoy those rarities. Good times that we can order things like this online and have them dropped at our doorsteps!
Holy of holies that Jasmine. I thought both of the enfleurage would be soft considering how they are made (and even though I’ve smelled them both in store) but talk about a monster! Serious strength here and projection. The indole note in Jasmine is sometimes hard for me but here I cant get enough, the way it tangles in the green notes and the true to form flower essence. How can something smell purple and green at the same time? Hits of Violet too.

Dr B1414

True Ouddict
Mellifluence An Nabi This stuff is heavenly. And is only getting better with time. Aged Kashmiri Musk with Ambergris, Oud, and Resins. The musk here is soft and chocolaty, with 0 pungency or punch, and the Ambergris lends this sweet and creamy touch. It's straight-up delicious. This and the Kasturi Musk macerate from Jinkoh opened my eyes to how much of an impact aging can have on musk.

Arabiad07

Oud Fanatic
Mellifluence An Nabi This stuff is heavenly. And is only getting better with time. Aged Kashmiri Musk with Ambergris, Oud, and Resins. The musk here is soft and chocolaty, with 0 pungency or punch, and the Ambergris lends this sweet and creamy touch. It's straight-up delicious. This and the Kasturi Musk macerate from Jinkoh opened my eyes to how much of an impact aging can have on musk.
Is this still available?

Mr.P

oud<3er
Just applied swipe of mitti Attar from al hind (working my way through some samples this week). This has all the right smells. I'm not a mitti connoisseur but i have smelled a few and this one seems especially saturated with scent. I am aware that many charges of crushed earth / clay are distilled into a single receiver filled with sandalwood oil when this oil is made. This one smells like maybe it had a higher number of charges than some of the others I have smelled. Or maybe it's just that it's fresher but it seems like the earthiness is especially pronounced. It really is the scent of terra-cotta pots rinsed with water - all kinds of gardening / earth associations. Wonderful in itself and seems like a great component for earthy blends

Last edited:

Mr.P

oud<3er
Literally an attar: "sabdali motia" from Al Hind oud is my attar of the moment. This smells like the classic motia / sandalwood attar that kannauj is famous for. There's a certain unique musky quality that comes from the Sandalwood and the distinct smell of motia distilled in degs. I would guess this is from kannauj. This "deg note" is something that I notice in mitti attar, ruh motia from wardlab and ruh gulab in general.

As I see it this is the scent you want to familiarize yourself with as a benchmark indian sambac flower distilate.

Along the same lines, wardlab's ruh motia 2021 is the only jasmine ruh i have ever smelled (and I've been hunting down Sambac for DECADES) that has the terroir for authentic kannauj deg distilled jasmine sambac flowers.

The vacuum distilled or molecular distilled Sambac oils are wild and crazy and wonderful as well. In a way almost purer Jasmine scent, in the sense that the deg note is absent.

I've made a few myself from concrete and I've smelled a lot of ruh motia that I can tell was made the same way. What I don't know is if I've ever smelled a Jasmine distillate direct from flowers but not from a deg in kannauj. There's just not a lot of information on these oils that I have come across.
IMG_6692.jpeg

Last edited:

Xerohome

Oud Beginner
Jabrin by Henry Jacques.
this one was a special SQ attar released for the 35th anniversary of SQ -Rahimahu Allah- as the sultan of Oman, and it is simply a masterpiece.
once every while I reach for this one, and every time it's giving me the wow factor that made me start my journey in oud and perfumery.
very unique, citrusy, floral, oud, ambergris and load of synthetic as phenol for example, but still top notch in my opinion.