It's so good. Nerve calming. Some other musk attars I have are so punchy and primal, that I mostly use them before my weight training session as a pre-workout and intra-workout. An Nabi is more like a Bhutanese oud, or Bornean. Just delightful and nerve-calming.
That's a great idea! I'll give that a try this evening
I'll have to revisit Abi, I last wore it late at night, just before I went to bed, so I only experienced it for half an hour or so before I slept. Calming is spot on
 
Ruh al Ward Hasayan 2023 from An Najwa. I feel like this oil has serious charm, as I have said before. I'm no expert on Rose but this is consistent with my understanding of what rose oil smells like when it is hydrodistilled at ambient pressure. There's this certain particular rosey/gerniumish note that has been pronounced in every ruh gulab I have smelled (which is just 5 specimens). Very distinct profile and this is a very appealing example compared to others I have smelled
 
Sorry to hog the mukh of the day space. I am blown away by the ghaliya banu hashim from An Najwa. this oil immediately goes into the "handle with care" category. I haven't worn in a long time because I have small amounts that I need to make last the rest of my life I guess… anyway it's been a long time so I was almost afraid to wear it again because in my mind I had hyped it up a bit, and i was afraid to put it on and find out that I was wrong. No chance of that. I have two samples a small one from what I think was an earlier step and it's development and a larger one that I think is the final product. I am currently smelling the smaller earlier specimen I still haven't touched the newer one because it's the kind of thing that needs my attention and also means i have to find some other place to test my blends than my own skin because this stuff settleds into your skin and interacts in a wonderful way with anything else you put on.

Today I was really struck by the richness of the sandalwood aspect of this… clearly excellent sandalwood oil in here and somehow very nicely enhanced by the other ingredients. It's by no means a simple Sandalwood scent but that facet of the fragrance is really just making me smile right now and seems especially voluptuous. Magical stuff for my nose


IMG_6754.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hog the mukh of the day space. I am blown away by the ghaliya banu hashim from An Najwa. this oil immediately goes into the "handle with care" category. I haven't worn in a long time because I have small amounts that I need to make last the rest of my life I guess… anyway it's been a long time so I was almost afraid to wear it again because in my mind I had hyped it up a bit, and i was afraid to put it on and find out that I was wrong. No chance of that. I have two samples a small one from what I think was an earlier step and it's development and a larger one that I think is the final product. I am currently smelling the smaller earlier specimen I still haven't touched the newer one because it's the kind of thing that needs my attention and also means i have to find some other place to test my blends than my own skin because this stuff settleds into your skin and interacts in a wonderful way with anything else you put on.

View attachment 36973
I am excited to get my nose on this again. I smelled it once from a fellow Ouddict and was blown away, should finally have my full bottle this weekend.

Hopefully you will have opportunities to restock. It has been so highly praised and well received. I would think our brother @An Najwa will make a v2 once this batch runs out.
 
Sorry to hog the mukh of the day space. I am blown away by the ghaliya banu hashim from An Najwa. this oil immediately goes into the "handle with care" category. I haven't worn in a long time because I have small amounts that I need to make last the rest of my life I guess… anyway it's been a long time so I was almost afraid to wear it again because in my mind I had hyped it up a bit, and i was afraid to put it on and find out that I was wrong. No chance of that. I have two samples a small one from what I think was an earlier step and it's development and a larger one that I think is the final product. I am currently smelling the smaller earlier specimen I still haven't touched the newer one because it's the kind of thing that needs my attention and also means i have to find some other place to test my blends than my own skin because this stuff settleds into your skin and interacts in a wonderful way with anything else you put on.

Today I was really struck by the richness of the sandalwood aspect of this… clearly excellent sandalwood oil in here and somehow very nicely enhanced by the other ingredients. It's by no means a simple Sandalwood scent but that facet of the fragrance is really just making me smile right now and seems especially voluptuous. Magical stuff for my nose


View attachment 36973
This makes me very happy haha

Mr. P as I told you earlier this doesn't have even a drop of any sandalwood oil.
 
So wild because I really get a delicious sandalwood type vibe from it. I had forgotten there was none in there. I'll have to try it again this morning I might've had some sandalwood on from earlier in the day.


I just layered with some eau de cologne that I made recently… this really compliments the citrus/ neroli mix beautifully. I don't make any fragrances with animal ingredients but if I did it would be very tempting to use something like this to add sophistication to the blends.

I also applied a dab layered with a bit of sandalwood oil just to try to wrap my head around what I'm smelling 🙂

Really great stuff.
 
Last edited:
I just applied some of the more recent version of the An Najwa Ghaliya. Either due to changes in the air or my perception, today I am getting more of a fruitiness to it. Whereas yesterday the creamy agallocha (?) smooth musky woody aspect was in the forefront today my attention is grabbed by little wafts that are peachy, others that make me think of civet. A lot going on here... i also get a kind of heated resin vibe, which is borderline smokey but with no literal smoke notes - some robust resinous something or other. I have never smelled a "choya" but the smell brings the descriptions I have heard of some choyas to mind.

So based on my track record that means there is no civet, no osmanthus or peachy isolate, no choya. The civet note could completely come from Hindi oud - that generally brings civet to mind for me. The resinous note could be frankincense... I can't think of another source for the fruitiness so maybe it's just an interaction.

I have to go take a look at the website to remind myself of the ingredient list again...
 
Last edited:
I’ve been really looking for a Amber based Mukhallat I’ve quite enjoyed Maison Anthony Marmin’s Amber Al Quds and was looking to branch out into some more ambers.
 
Mesoud's own home-distilled juniper oil. It is a dark amber color like some patchouli, has an older profile more akin to atlas cedar then the the junipers that grow in the United States which have a more evergreen Cypress smell or pencil wood smell.

I like this oil - it is like a smooth subdued cedar.

By the way if you have not smelled the atlas cedar that he distilled and the carbon dioxide extract he sells, they are worth checking out. I'm not quite sure how to use them in a perfume - there is something animalic about atlas cedar
 
Just showing off my old patchouli stash. The youngest of these is from 2003, the oldest from 1994. I highly recommend you find a good source of patchouli buy more than you need and forget about it for a while. You will end up with something amazing. Notice the upside down bottle... been like that for 10 minutes and has barely moved.

IMG_6875.jpeg
 
Annajwa - Jasmine malaccensis
This is really a beauty of an Attar!
Has a super delicious fruity jasmine with a purple grape touch growing in a rich oudy and musky earth. Very well balanced offering a more oud straight forward experience sniffing it up close and a nice juicy jasmine sillage on a distance. The deer musk is present playing hide and seek between the jasmine flowers and the oud trees 🌳
A traditional blending with a modern twist that will please your attar loving heart.
 
Great description, very much brought the oil to mind for me.
 
Speaking of jasmine, i just received a sample of grandiflorum oil from Fraterworks. This jasmine is sourced from one of the premium manufacturers (Mane) and it is absolutely righteous grandiflorum. It is from India but it's profile is not like the indian grand oils from Liberty, Eden or others i have encountered. This particular batch is really nicely selected with a charming fresh and fruity profile, indole notes in balance and not cloying. There is a singing freshness to the top note that is mind blowing to me.No sourness or vegetal notes, and none of the violet leaf note that shows in the top notes of some Egyptian grands.

This is Jasmine lover's Jasmine. Al Shareef - I think you would love this stuff.



The sambac is excellent as well - very punchy and classic aroma. Smells more concentrated it clearly has less wax and pigment than typical absolutes. Same thing for the grandiflorum.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of jasmine, i just received a sample of grandiflorum oil from Fraterworks. This jasmine is sourced from one of the premium manufacturers (Mane) and it is absolutely righteous grandiflorum. It is from India but it's profile is not like the indian grand oils from Liberty, Eden or others i have encountered. This particular batch is really nicely selected with a charming fresh and fruity profile, indole notes in balance and not cloying. There is a singing freshness to the top note that is mind blowing to me.No sourness or vegetal notes, and none of the violet leaf note that shows in the top notes of some Egyptian grands.

This is Jasmine lover's Jasmine. Al Shareef - I think you would love this stuff.



The sambac is excellent as well - very punchy and classic aroma. Smells more concentrated it clearly has less wax and pigment than typical absolutes. Same thing for the grandiflorum.
Hey brother, thank you for the heads up, can you drop me a DM with the details, much appreciated in advance.
 
Making a myrrh tincture today from some 25 year old yamada matsu myrrh. Still smells perfectly good to me as far as I can tell about the same as when I first got it. It has been in the same glass jar the last 25 years and held up well.

I use the myrrh tincture as part of some amber fragrances i've been working on - wonderful stuff myrrh is. This is 25% myrrh 75% grain alcohol. I have myrrh oils as well but I am trying to make unique fragrances and have more of this myrrh than i will ever burn so might as well use it.

For those who are wanting to make their own extractions myrrh tincture can be made and used very effectively I think. I am not yet letting the tincture settle - i believe it will be crystal clear when it does.

IMG_6946.jpeg
 
Back
Top