Hana (Lucky Oud)

Starts with a lovely lotus (possibly pink or blue) with some prominently creamy white floral smells (common jasmine, j. sambac, tuberose, gardenia so far). The metallic part of lotus and white floral indoles provide an aptly angular contrast. Followed by a touch of ylang ylang's typical fruity floral smell, some fizzy fruit-like nuances greet me with open arms - possibly coming from blue lotus, amplified by the creamy facets of gardenia, j. sambac, tuberose, ylang ylang and probably a few more things.

In the background, there are occasional hints of smoke, possibly a creamy gardenia, woody and a creamy trail of aged Mysore and possibly H. cedar (HD's flinty quality). The smoke is elegantly restrained - similar to the heart of aged vanilla pod tincture (possibly Madagascan), and cocoa absolute, and the initial smells of melted dark chocolate from Cote d'Ivoire, and freshly dark roasted Mandheling (Sumatra) coffee. It adds a contrast to its green/astringent and floral qualities. There is a lovely dusty quality that reminds me of the smell of cocoa powder neat. Thankfully the sweetness/gourmand facets are never loud.

There are some green, astringent and herbaceous qualities too. They are making the heart somewhat astringent whilst adding more complimentary and contrasting nuances to this gardenia-oriented composition.

Tea: What follows is a somewhat tangential point regarding the tea note. So bear with me here please! Ocha To Ka (Mellifluence Perfumes, 2018) is one of my most favourite attars where an aged tuberose absolute plays a very important role of beautifully elongating the tea note. With the help of slightly metallic aquas and astringencies of blue lotus absolute (or similar isolates) and the creamy facets of tuberose and gardenia, I get a similar but a fruitier tea evocation - imagine you dropped some berry fruit compote with some jasmine raw Toucha and Pu-erh teas. A similar but drier and greener tea accord is also coming from Assam Jardin (possibly a non-soaked Hindi). However, unlike in OTK (2018), the tea astringency/accord is deliberately less pronounced. It is in Hana as part of its overall astringency and a very soft incense profile – largely to add a unique touch to its gardenia-oriented floral accord.

Galbanum’s sappy vernal qualities and a delicate patchouli combo (possibly some oud too) gives an impression of oakmoss – it is soft but clearly identifiable. The evocation of oakmoss, gardenia and the overall vernal impression in Hana’s trail reminds of SOMA (NOT Perfumes), albeit with less intensity. In that context I found some similarities with Gardelia 2 (soon to be released by Bogue Profumo) as well. With some of Hans’s fruit, balsam and wood notes, I found some similarities with Jardin de Borneo Gardenia’s (Sultan Pasha Attars). But I need to spend more time with both to be more specific. All three rank amongst my most favourite gardenia compositions.

The green accord also 'cuts' some of the sweetness/creaminess from florals, woods, resins and balsams. The fizzy fruity smell I was referring to earlier is a curious one – being tied to temperature, humidity and blue lotus. Blue lotus smell (both fresh flower and absolute) is quite delicate, which plays an important role in rendering that smell through its slightly metallic and aquas qualities. Consequently, in higher temperatures, that smell is less pronounced. Instead, indolic and creamy facets of various floral and facets of various elements are more pronounced (but still quite elegant). Incense is less pronounced too. In cooler and less humid environments, fizzy fruit, incense and a dry vernal leather are more clearly identifiable. Creaminess of flowers and woods and various balsamic qualities are less strident and allow lotus and gardenia to display their beauty more clearly.

Ylang-ylang green and slightly sweet musky qualities adds some oomph to this vernal gardenia rendition. Not sure what type of ylang-ylang is used but the way the gardenia’s fruity aspect is assisted with high diffusion (even after 3-4 hours), it is probably an absolute. In the trail, a slightly smoky and a vanillic leather smell reminds me of castoreum and certain facets of some classically distilled oud oils from Thailand and Malaysian border. In cooler temperatures, those aforementioned oud-like sweet musk facets are prominent. Regardless of the temperature, various musks and animalics play important roles without being too prominent – a perfect fit for any floral composition.

There is a woody, almost vanillic/benzoin and balsamic heart that is slowly becoming more resinous and woodier. However, the creamy white floral smells are still prominent. Civet probably plays the most important roles in displaying various floral facets. In this instance, imagine the civet being the prism, allowing the aforementioned white and yellow florals to be clearly distinguishable without being discordant.

The greens along with an amber accord (I found various facets common in benzoin, crude amber, amber sweetie, opoponax, styrax, tonka, vanilla, massoia bark, and cocoa,) helps the floral accord by complementing and contrasting at varying degrees.

Were it not mentioned, I never would've imagined it has an oud in it - Assam Jardin. IIRC, AJ is an unsoaked Hindi that starts with soft honey and an aptly modulated spice accord and ends with a beautifully demure greenish leather, a balsamic undercurrent and a very subtle hint of dry/dusty incense. With the benefit of hindsight, I speculate that this oud's deeper green and herbaceous qualities also play an important role in the persistency of the greenish gardenia accord - especially during its deep heart and trail.

Hana is a gardenia composition where greens are used to highlight various gardenia facets. Imagine a rough diamond (a fresh gardenia flower) being expertly cut to reveal its beauties (creamy, fruity and green facets of gardenia in slow motion). Well composed gardenia compositions are rare these days. So, if you like your greens and gardenia, Hana is worth sampling.
 
Hana (Lucky Oud)

Starts with a lovely lotus (possibly pink or blue) with some prominently creamy white floral smells (common jasmine, j. sambac, tuberose, gardenia so far). The metallic part of lotus and white floral indoles provide an aptly angular contrast. Followed by a touch of ylang ylang's typical fruity floral smell, some fizzy fruit-like nuances greet me with open arms - possibly coming from blue lotus, amplified by the creamy facets of gardenia, j. sambac, tuberose, ylang ylang and probably a few more things.

In the background, there are occasional hints of smoke, possibly a creamy gardenia, woody and a creamy trail of aged Mysore and possibly H. cedar (HD's flinty quality). The smoke is elegantly restrained - similar to the heart of aged vanilla pod tincture (possibly Madagascan), and cocoa absolute, and the initial smells of melted dark chocolate from Cote d'Ivoire, and freshly dark roasted Mandheling (Sumatra) coffee. It adds a contrast to its green/astringent and floral qualities. There is a lovely dusty quality that reminds me of the smell of cocoa powder neat. Thankfully the sweetness/gourmand facets are never loud.

There are some green, astringent and herbaceous qualities too. They are making the heart somewhat astringent whilst adding more complimentary and contrasting nuances to this gardenia-oriented composition.

Tea: What follows is a somewhat tangential point regarding the tea note. So bear with me here please! Ocha To Ka (Mellifluence Perfumes, 2018) is one of my most favourite attars where an aged tuberose absolute plays a very important role of beautifully elongating the tea note. With the help of slightly metallic aquas and astringencies of blue lotus absolute (or similar isolates) and the creamy facets of tuberose and gardenia, I get a similar but a fruitier tea evocation - imagine you dropped some berry fruit compote with some jasmine raw Toucha and Pu-erh teas. A similar but drier and greener tea accord is also coming from Assam Jardin (possibly a non-soaked Hindi). However, unlike in OTK (2018), the tea astringency/accord is deliberately less pronounced. It is in Hana as part of its overall astringency and a very soft incense profile – largely to add a unique touch to its gardenia-oriented floral accord.

Galbanum’s sappy vernal qualities and a delicate patchouli combo (possibly some oud too) gives an impression of oakmoss – it is soft but clearly identifiable. The evocation of oakmoss, gardenia and the overall vernal impression in Hana’s trail reminds of SOMA (NOT Perfumes), albeit with less intensity. In that context I found some similarities with Gardelia 2 (soon to be released by Bogue Profumo) as well. With some of Hans’s fruit, balsam and wood notes, I found some similarities with Jardin de Borneo Gardenia’s (Sultan Pasha Attars). But I need to spend more time with both to be more specific. All three rank amongst my most favourite gardenia compositions.

The green accord also 'cuts' some of the sweetness/creaminess from florals, woods, resins and balsams. The fizzy fruity smell I was referring to earlier is a curious one – being tied to temperature, humidity and blue lotus. Blue lotus smell (both fresh flower and absolute) is quite delicate, which plays an important role in rendering that smell through its slightly metallic and aquas qualities. Consequently, in higher temperatures, that smell is less pronounced. Instead, indolic and creamy facets of various floral and facets of various elements are more pronounced (but still quite elegant). Incense is less pronounced too. In cooler and less humid environments, fizzy fruit, incense and a dry vernal leather are more clearly identifiable. Creaminess of flowers and woods and various balsamic qualities are less strident and allow lotus and gardenia to display their beauty more clearly.

Ylang-ylang green and slightly sweet musky qualities adds some oomph to this vernal gardenia rendition. Not sure what type of ylang-ylang is used but the way the gardenia’s fruity aspect is assisted with high diffusion (even after 3-4 hours), it is probably an absolute. In the trail, a slightly smoky and a vanillic leather smell reminds me of castoreum and certain facets of some classically distilled oud oils from Thailand and Malaysian border. In cooler temperatures, those aforementioned oud-like sweet musk facets are prominent. Regardless of the temperature, various musks and animalics play important roles without being too prominent – a perfect fit for any floral composition.

There is a woody, almost vanillic/benzoin and balsamic heart that is slowly becoming more resinous and woodier. However, the creamy white floral smells are still prominent. Civet probably plays the most important roles in displaying various floral facets. In this instance, imagine the civet being the prism, allowing the aforementioned white and yellow florals to be clearly distinguishable without being discordant.

The greens along with an amber accord (I found various facets common in benzoin, crude amber, amber sweetie, opoponax, styrax, tonka, vanilla, massoia bark, and cocoa,) helps the floral accord by complementing and contrasting at varying degrees.

Were it not mentioned, I never would've imagined it has an oud in it - Assam Jardin. IIRC, AJ is an unsoaked Hindi that starts with soft honey and an aptly modulated spice accord and ends with a beautifully demure greenish leather, a balsamic undercurrent and a very subtle hint of dry/dusty incense. With the benefit of hindsight, I speculate that this oud's deeper green and herbaceous qualities also play an important role in the persistency of the greenish gardenia accord - especially during its deep heart and trail.

Hana is a gardenia composition where greens are used to highlight various gardenia facets. Imagine a rough diamond (a fresh gardenia flower) being expertly cut to reveal its beauties (creamy, fruity and green facets of gardenia in slow motion). Well composed gardenia compositions are rare these days. So, if you like your greens and gardenia, Hana is worth sampling.
Amazing description! So vivid and detailed that I feel like I’m taking a swipe right along with you.
 
2019 Tutankhamun Attar from @RisingPhoenix
I think this one is the first iteration of this attar. after about five years of aging, the boy king matured a bit.

still vibrant, but condensed. The Omani frankincense's ethereal citrus became more of yellow frankincense's orange-ish citrus.

the blue lotus's watery, mysterious floral is still going strong along with Sri Lankan oud's cooling, foresty sweetness.

the sandalwood and tonka bean(?) seemingly provide a smooth silk carpet for the boy king.

a great concept, fantastic materials, wonderful blending skill. what can I ask for more?
it's just that good.
 
Joyeux (Sultan Pasha Attars): A tiny impression after wearing it 4-5 times.

In the final Joyeux version, lavender is quite apparent from the start. This purple curiousity is bright, warm, less medicinal (than an earlier version) without being metallic or harsh. It also has a fizzy facet which adds a contrast to the inherent warmth of lavender.

I never walked in or around any large lavender field. But I have experienced English lavender smell at the peak during many summers there. Every time I walked past them, I would get this warm and fuzzy feeling from their wonderful smells. It always made me smile. Last year I also experienced some Lavender from KSA, which has a fizzy quality. I also get it here - partly coming from lavandin too. I can now relive both of those whenever I want through Joyeux, especially during warmer weather. If you walk past any fragrant field, especially during summer, you get this warmth coming off the ground and in and around the field. I cannot really explain how, but I get a similar warmth in Joyeux too. This particular impression quite vivid when the weather is dry, slightly windy and warm past 30°C. There is also a beautiful clary sage-like slightly warm and medicinal quality - giving a beautiful node to classical fougeres.

Later I also get some impressions of herbaceous chrysanthemum, sappy galbanum, a touch of oakmoss, and crystalised and astringent violet and muguet (without being harsh). There are some styrax- and opponoax-like flinty balsamic smells too. In some instances, I got some lovely powder-like smells that I associate with aged deer musk maceration in sandal (without any pungency) – possibly coming from some musk molecules, and white florals. If inhaled longer I noticed a soft and creamy jasmine with a sweet vanillic and tonkafied balsamic smell. However, Joyeux’s inherent astringent and vernal qualities keeps everything within fougere territory with some ‘mossy’ undercurrent.

The late-appearing vernal facets remind me of some in the trail of Chypre Crysantheme (2019, SPA). On the other hand, some in Joyeux’s fougerish trail are similar to Fougere Noire (2018, SPA) and Étude en Fougère (2018, SPA). Imagine it being a Le Rayon Vert with a technicolour lavender focus – especially due to the bright and pleasant evocation of this humble plant. So, it will be fun to enjoy and listen to its various facets over many months.
 
Several months ago, I was working on numerous blends of my own, experimenting and trying different things. I think I got a little overzealous and ended up blending a few things together that I "wanted" to work, but didn't. I got a bit burned out and took a break for a few months.

Recently, I picked up a few new materials and was feeling inspired to try blending again, building off of the "recipes" I developed months prior.

So this week, I set to task. I combined Siberian deer musk macerated in sandalwood, Vietnamese oud, Malaysian oud, Turkish rose absolute, Turkish rose otto, and a wisp of CO2-extract cultivated kinam.

The result is beautiful. I'm so thrilled. It opens with a hint of cool dusky rose atop a hint of sour oud-y tang, and it dries down to a sweet, slightly kinamic oud note. I'm calling the result "Soft Pink Moon" (I love naming things....)

Gorgeous!
 
Assam incense grade by Oud Hindi Global: An Indian house, distiller: brother Azim. Raw material: Incense grade Assam oud chips.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day

Very clean, bright, sweet and zesty opening.
Camphoric, fresh with petrol like blue vapours.
Incensy, balmy, moist hay, sweet melons.
Familiar spiciness of Assamese oud which reminds of barn without any barn.
Hints of clean leather, incense, hay.
Gourmand sweetness, tobacco, mild bitterness.
Transitions into slightly leathery, rich incense, dark roasted coffee, cacao seeds, old wooden book racks in the dry down. All the brightness and sweetness vanishes in the dry down, turns into a serious dark character.
 
Mizyaan by Ajmal. A borderline sandal-saffron attar. Saffron here is present in the top; middle and base notes. What surprises me is the sandalwood which is potentially a high quality Indian oil. Yes, there are some synthetic elements here and there, but this is a real oriental masterpiece in my opinion. Sandal is a backseat driver here, sits in the back, but never loses control. Impressive
 
I got a bottle of Aetoxylon oil with a recent order of perfume supplies - this is not oud in any sense but unwary buyers may get sold some of this as oud . I have definitely smelled this being sold as oud oil as well as small amounts of this mixed with oud, but not all that often. I wish I had realized sooner that this was aetoxylon - i've always wanted to smell it but I never bothered getting any until now
 
Beads carved out of Aetoxylon wood is commonly available in the market and sold as “white oud” to the uninitiated buyers. For some reason, my stomach turns even when I talk about it.
 
Special reserve no.1 from Alhashimi. Smelling this from the bottle is like a beautiful symphony orchestra with the individual instruments becoming noticable but in a gorgeous balance. I would be happy with just smelling this from the bottle for years to come! On the skin for me it starts of velvety soft but not hiding it’s quality powerful animalics, the rose is holding it together with almost slightly fizzy florals the musk and Hindi oud seems to create the lovely bite with the ambergris softening and smoothing out any sharp edges. I love the way you can pick out a few of the ingredients at the same time with them all working together. As time goes on I find myself more grounded and connected with nature. Am looking forward to getting to know and trying to work out the other notes. You can really appreciate the quality of the ingredients that went into this. Really nice!
 
Last edited:
Special reserve no.1 from Alhashimi. Smelling this from the bottle is like a beautiful symphony orchestra with the individual instruments becoming noticable but in a gorgeous balance. I would be happy with just smelling this from the bottle for years to come! On the skin for me it starts of velvety soft but not hiding it’s quality powerful animalics, the rose is holding it together with almost slightly fizzy florals the musk and Hindi oud seems to create the lovely bite with the ambergris softening and smoothing out any sharp edges. I love the way you can pick out a few of the ingredients at the same time with them all working together. As time goes on I find myself more grounded and connected with nature. Am looking forward to getting to know and trying to work out the other notes. You can really appreciate the quality of the ingredients that went into this. Really nice!
It’s a very smooth Hindi rose musk attar.

Special reserve No 2 is equally as amazing. The Cambodi musk combo is so addictive
 
Just received my sample set from Sultan Pasha. Decided to start with #30, as I felt the scents at the top were better suited towards the colder months.

Today I swiped Basmati Rose. Beautiful realistic basmati rice notes, powered up by sweet rose. Saffron and other spices make this feel like a gourmand/rice pudding scent at times as well. Gorgeous sweet rice pudding and rose scent bubble surrounding me today. Will be a pleasure to go through these all
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Sultan Pasha - Chypre Narcisse

Going with #29 from the sample set for this rainy day. Starts off with a divine opening, very quick burst of bright citruses followed by the star of the show for me. A bouquet of florals that even with my limited experience with the real narcisse flower, smell incredible. Warm and green/yellow combined with a slightly sweet/sappy like quality. Feels like basking in the sun in the middle of a field of blooming flowers.

Fairly quickly though the animalics come around to introduce a leather aspect to it. Castoreum and civet most likely combining to create a well moisturized, almost oily leather jacket feel. Doesn’t feel sterile or medicinal and brings a sophisticated and slightly unisex touch to the floral combo. Only swiped about an hour and a half ago but really enjoying this one. I’m not one to typically go for a chypre-style fragrance and certainly not an everyday vibe for me, but it’s feels nice to shake things up once in a while and wear something different. I’m expecting a wonderfully warm resinous and leather drydown all basking in the sunlight of the golden florals.
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Had this sample of Al Ghaliyah 2 which I forgot about from last year. Just took a whiff. My days. Magnificent, so smooth. I normally don't like rose when it's too strong, but what a balance in this. Let's hope there's an Eed discount coming up.

WhatsApp Image 2024-05-31 at 1.57.28 PM.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    WhatsApp Image 2024-05-31 at 1.57.28 PM.webp
    42.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Back
Top