This is a great idea. I have a pretty overcrowded "sample morgue" where all the spent vials with residues stuck on the very bottom of the vial reside, i've always hang onto them with the thought of doing something like this but I haven't gotten to it yet.
Nothing goes to waste! Soak them in alcohol and make use of them, even as furniture spray like I’m planning to do
 
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
New addition to the jungle juice
I was transferring some Indonesian and Thai oils to smaller bottles, and of course some oil gets stuck to the inside of the pipette, so I squeezed it into the jungle juice and areated it a bit. Then I realized the bottle was getting too small. So I transferred the whole thing into a spray bottle that had beautiful, cheesy sweet nagaland oud in 9.5% dilution.
Now the jungle juice (afaik) houses : nagaland oud, sumbawa oud, trat oud, Siberian musk, a little ambergris, and alcohol.
On the skin the musk and nagaland prevail, with the oud prevailing because it makes up the body of it. It’s spicy, cheesy, thick bodied like cream, the little woodiness and spices from the Indonesian oud mixed with the faint musk gives it a very seductive flavor. Can’t wait for this to evolve more
 
They are camel skin yes, the top layer of skin or the one right below it. It’s supposedly really good for aging oud and attars, it intensifies the scent and self regulates. If you put a freshly distilled oud oil it’ll cure beautifully and perfectly, because the leather “sweats” the water vapor from the pores, and when the oil reaches a certain density it clogs the pores and prevents excess loss. This effect works better if the bottle is closed and placed in a hot environment. They’re pretty cheap to order from India, 3-5 dollars for small ones. I might order one to try it out
@Saudalhajri , many thanks for sharing this info - where do you buy Kuppis from, which website ?
 
A bit of MANE jasmine grandiflorum (India) I picked up from Fraterworks.

I've had some time with this now and have developed a better understanding of the oil. It's a very interesting specimen, with a tuberose like top-note that smells like what you might get if you put a drop of tuberose absolute in a bottle of Indian jasmine. Unusually punchy. There is a really nice sweet linaool and candylike heart that is clean and utterly pleasant. The one downside to my nose is that this really has a strong "cat scat" layer, something that shows up at varying intensities in different batches of jasmine, and it's really a bit over the top in this particular oil. I actually think this is a great note to use in perfumery as long as everybody understands where it's coming from. Not sure I'd want to walk into a room of strangers smelling like it though.

The Peyan Bertrand Jasmine Abs Egypt Extra (my other grandiflorum benchmark) lacks the tuberose like top note, gentler opening with a little whiff of a green violet leaf note, brings more linalool and candy floral and sweet lilac type notes to the front and has very little of the skanky cat litter vibe. Both very interesting oils. I've posted something like these comments before but this is what I'm smelling today
 
I haven’t bought any yet , but you can find them on Indiamart. It’s like Aliexpress but for India.
Can you provide a link by any chance? I did a quick search and was not able to pull up anything. I'd be interested in getting my hands on a few of these for sure even used ones.
 
Can you provide a link by any chance? I did a quick search and was not able to pull up anything. I'd be interested in getting my hands on a few of these for sure even used ones.
This one has them from 10g to 1kg
But these things are inconsistent, the 10g can range anywhere from 9ml to 14ml. They’re natural material and made very cheaply so we’re not expecting laboratory grade precision.
 
This one has them from 10g to 1kg
But these things are inconsistent, the 10g can range anywhere from 9ml to 14ml. They’re natural material and made very cheaply so we’re not expecting laboratory grade precision.
Thank you! I wonder why I couldn't pull those up?
 
This one has them from 10g to 1kg
But these things are inconsistent, the 10g can range anywhere from 9ml to 14ml. They’re natural material and made very cheaply so we’re not expecting laboratory grade precision.
I use only Wheaton high recovery laboratory grade precision kuppi!
 
Left wrist - Kishmîr @An Najwa
Starts off with soft Hindi Oud (non-Barnyard) and fruits like Peach/Apricot. Afterwards a freshness comes with Mint and white flowers, which is calming and perfectly suited for high temperatures. The drydown is fruity, floral combined with the powdery touch of Iris 🙂
I look forward for Khaltat Baghdad from my brother - his fruity Attars are next level.

Right wrist - Jasmine Tobac @mesOUD
Starts obviously with Jasmine and heavy-dose of Tobacco which goes immediately to the background. A subtle purple sweetness is coming, which I guess is from the Castoreum but somehow reminds me of a Iris character, even though there is none 😂 I thought of „Purple Jasmine“, googled it found pictures of purple Jasmine flowers even though they are not real, but a nice reference 😅

Overall, both are really easy to wear and im love in Attars by Mehmet abi and brother Muhammad, may Allah bless them both.
 
Left wrist - Kishmîr @An Najwa
Starts off with soft Hindi Oud (non-Barnyard) and fruits like Peach/Apricot. Afterwards a freshness comes with Mint and white flowers, which is calming and perfectly suited for high temperatures. The drydown is fruity, floral combined with the powdery touch of Iris 🙂
I look forward for Khaltat Baghdad from my brother - his fruity Attars are next level.

Right wrist - Jasmine Tobac @mesOUD
Starts obviously with Jasmine and heavy-dose of Tobacco which goes immediately to the background. A subtle purple sweetness is coming, which I guess is from the Castoreum but somehow reminds me of a Iris character, even though there is none 😂 I thought of „Purple Jasmine“, googled it found pictures of purple Jasmine flowers even though they are not real, but a nice reference 😅

Overall, both are really easy to wear and im love in Attars by Mehmet abi and brother Muhammad, may Allah bless them both.
Ditto for Jasmin Tobac @mesOUD
 
I am wearing a healthy swipe of ASO's Zumrudd. This is a really hearty oud based musk infusion and it is a trip with a very smokey and incensy oud. All i get is oud and musk, so I assume is a straight oud-musk soak, I will have to go check the website. At the moment my nose is kind of blown out because I took some deep whiffs, so I will have to update this later. There are very fine particles, musk grains I assume, dispersed in the thick, dark and incensy oud. The oud smells a bit like an old Borneo oil i got early on in my oud journey - this is a more refined grade of that same oud variant. On initial application, the oud oil takes center stage, though there are some small embellishments of the oud from the musk that are very appealing. As that wave of incensy oud recedes, the musk that has been there all along becomes more of the main attraction. Nice stuff, fun to smell
 
Last edited:
Just swiped some Malika HM Sultan Qaboos vintage rose oil that Sulaym is / was carrying. Lovely classic rose but with an amplification of a beautiful, dry, wine-like facet of the rose scent that i have smelled in good roses but had kind of forgotten about. I find it incredibly appealing. It is like a more sophisticated layer on top of the geranium like and other rosey aspects.
 
The trees are dropping black walnuts around here, and I brought one into the house recently. It has dried up and the fragrance in the rind surrounding the shell is really beautiful - floral, a bit citrusy, a bit spicy like cardamom or nutmeg if you scratch the surface, a very lively, fresh, exalted scent. I wonder if anyone has extracted the fragrance from black walnuts? Seems like it would be an amazing material.
 
The trees are dropping black walnuts around here, and I brought one into the house recently. It has dried up and the fragrance in the rind surrounding the shell is really beautiful - floral, a bit citrusy, a bit spicy like cardamom or nutmeg if you scratch the surface, a very lively, fresh, exalted scent. I wonder if anyone has extracted the fragrance from black walnuts? Seems like it would be an amazing material.
No but I would love to do so. It's funny you mention this as I've often wondered about distilling this tree and its parts or making some sort of extraction. One has to be careful of the compound juglone which is present in it. When I've been around saw milling of big logs of old black walnut, it has just a smell as you described. It is very pleasant. That cardamom spice smell can even somewhat be tasted in the walnut bitters they make from it.
 
Looks like distillation would be the way to go - juglone has a melting point well above the boiling point of water.
IMG_9656.jpeg
 
I'm working on a couple of blends... trying out ratios using 10% dilutions in alcohol for now for ease of transfer and consistency of measurement. In the long run these will be adapted either to sprays of higher concentration or to pure oil based attar.

One I'm working on is a kind of amber base note blend, but really with the intent of having it have some of the presence of ambergris instead of a traditional super sweet type. I'm not going to try to pass it off as an ambergris scent per se but at the moment it does have ambroxide natural isolate in it along with clary absolute, so it has some resemblance especially in the dry down. There is also cistus oil, labdanum absolute of two pretty distinct types, coriander, CK oil, ambrette seed, benzoin tincture, nagarmotha, sandalwood oil etc. Pretty happy with where I'm at now after many abandoned blends along these lines. Trying to get something that shifts from dry, resinous, and slightly sweet to a long lasting sweet ck / vanillin and ambroxide tail. Feel like i got close with my last iteration.
 
Back
Top