SOROOR BY @mesOUD
Sophisticated, gentlemanly
The dry down reminds me of my father when i was younger. Tobacco, oud and sea salt
Excellent blend. Full bottle worthy for sureView attachment 41370
Alhamdulillah
Nowadays people receive their SOROOR bottles and didn’t hear anything but love about it
 
In 15 days Hindi rose is coming hopefully,a clean hindi soaked in rose hydrosol,very very deep,soaked about 100 days
-Just an idea keeps gnawing at my mind, I wonder if I should add clay, similar to mitti, or not, I have been thinking for a very long time.
100 day soak!! that's going to be wild
 
I've started to dabble in oil based perfumes, using santalol and sandalwood as a carrier. It is a freaking TREAT after decades of focusing on ethanol as carrier. At the moment I am studying jasmine grand absolute, jasmine sambac otto (distilled by yours truly), and a sambac blend (with sambac otto, co2 and absolute), rose absolute, orris butter, ambergris and prachin oud at 10% in sandalwood and santalol. Very very interesting. Not doing any blending just studying each individually and layering them on skin occasionally.
IMG_0334.jpeg
 
@Jazzoid this sounds very intereseting. Did you add the oils, or were any of them Essential oil/absolute etc, and how did it change the perfume altogether? I did buy a total of 3 bottles of the Jinkoh Fushigi 🙈 and one of them is almost half way, I might be willing to experiment with this one.
I used cedarmoss absolute, cistus absolute, and pink pepper CO2. The aim was to give it a cool blue 'tint' to make it more like a Western mainstream perfume.
 
A blend made by myself. I call it 'Sacred Sojourn'. It contains a type of Hindi oud, Grey ambergris, Taif Rose, Camphor, Himalayan and Siberian deer musk, sandalwood essence, and an oud I picked up from Makkah over a year ago.

This blend opens with the rich, creamy notes of vintage Red Mysore sandalwood, seamlessly intertwined with the luxurious essence of Sandalwood Haiti. The heart reveals Indian oud, enveloped by the warm embrace of grey ambergris and Siberian and Himalayan deer musk. A delicate touch of Taif rose adds a floral elegance, while the cooling notes of the oud from Makkah provides a refreshing finish
1000145454.jpg
 
I made the mistake of making eye contact with my Ajmal AA Musk Gazelle and now it is all I smell 😂
 
I believe it was Mr. P who suggested (thank you) ~ ZUMURRD from Al Shareef Oudh. An exquisite attar that I was concerned when I read "musk" that the ouds would be overwhelmed as in too many attars I've sampled, a cacophony. What a composition chef Al Shareef! The smoke, a sheer veil, the leather, a caress...
I agree with you, it’s exceptional. Only two Oud oils & Musk, perfectly blended. The placement of the Trat oil in the composition is genius, it interacts with Indonesian Al Malek Al Malaki brilliantly. The dark, austere Indonesian & the playful fruity Thai, both elevated by the heavenly Musk.

ASO’s Musk dominant attars are glorious. Try Yaqoot next.
 
Last edited:
I agree with you, it’s exceptional. Only two Oud oils & Musk, perfectly blended. The placement of the Trat oil in the composition is genius, it interacts with Indonesian Al Malek Al Malaki brilliantly. The dark, austere Indonesian & the playful fruity Thai, both elevated by the heavenly Musk.

ASO’s Musk dominant attars are glorious. Try Yaqoot next.
Al Shareefs Attars are on a different level.
 
After discussing ASO’s attars, I’ve applied Salsabeel this morning, it’s stunning.

Dark resinous Sumbawa & green oceanic spicy Merauke Ouds composed around an edible very rich vanilla absolute. This vanilla is gorgeous, the interplay with the Oud oils is magnificent.
Warm spices, coffee, a touch of Bakhoor smoke & a clever use of Ruh Khus balance the ambery chocolatey gourmand notes, it never feels too sweet or confectionery like.
In the dry down, a subtle Musk note reveals itself alongside the vanillic chocolatey Oud, as a grand finale.

Salsabeel is a masterclasss in blending very different notes into a complex yet cohesive composition. Nothing feels out of place, it has very smooth transitions & is truely a pleasure to wear.
 
I’m currently testing out a sample of Mellifluence’s Kashmir lavender EO on a blotter & what a beautiful aroma it is!

I wasn’t aware lavender was cultivated in Kashmir, but it makes sense considering the environment & high altitude.
In addition to a bright, fresh, herbal, green, woody aroma this particular lavender exhibits a very prominent floral facet. Almost a purple-white iris nuance with a touch of lilac. Although lavender is technically a flower, I don’t associate it with having a classically floral note, to my nose it’s more of herbal-green aromatic. The floral nuance is wonderful, it provides a rounded depth to what is usually a sheer note. Overall, the sweetness & the lack of camphor indicate the quality of this oil. It rivals some of the best French lavender oils I’ve tested.
 
Last edited:
Kasbah by 19-69 layered with SMAMY Ruh Khus 1.
I thought of this blend on the fly and it turned out better than I expected. And the fact that the Ruh Khus batch was burnt actually made it better. The blend reminds me of disneys 1992 Aladdin. Woody, vanilla and honey sweet, a little animalic with a patchouli background, mixed with the rooty, Smokey green ruh khus. This blend suits autumn and spring more, leaning more to autumn.

The actual notes of Kasbah are Top notes : White Honey, Sweet Orange and Lime; middle notes are Amber, Patchouli and Geranium; base notes are Vanilla, Tonka Bean, Guaiac Wood, Leather and Sandalwood.
 
Having some success with blending some natural bases to use in compounding complex perfumes, in this case an ambergris substitute, and a kind of "house masala" which is my attempt to make this vision i have of a wood / spice combo to form the base of a couple of fragrances.

The ambergris substitute wouldn't fool anyone at first (nor is it intended to) but the dry-down is long lasting and has some of the same impact, in the way i had hoped it would. That blend includes clary sage oil and absolute, benzoin, natural/fermented ambroxide, hainan oud, natural vanillin, ambrette seed and a handful of others. Can't wait to use this in a perfume.

The house masala was inspired by some of baieido's and shoyeido's incense mixes... it is nice right now but pretty rough, hope to make a perfume based on it some day.

At some point I would like each of these to be perfumes in themselves. but their purpose right now is to form the second half of some complex perfumes down the road a ways.

Working on my own mixtures like this means I can't wear sandalwood or mukhallats from anyone else during the days I am working because it becomes impossible to analyze scent.
 
I got another sniff of a small sample bottle labeled "Musk III" that Russian Adam sent me about a year ago along with a collection of other samples. Very interesting perfume that is very musky and smells like a marriage of modern French style perfumery and traditional Middle Eastern style musk as I understand it. Superficially almost like a blend of aramis and Ajmal AAA musk gazelle.

At that time I was just putting together my own first line of fragrances and there was no way I could wear long lasting powerhouses like the stuff that he produced and still have any perspective on what I was making (because strong composed natural fragrances with a few isolates and synthetics like that can be real beasts). I did spray them on blotters, and shared brief notes on a few of them here, but one can only smell a fraction of the potential on blotter paper and they distort the aroma considerably as well. I got so involved in my own work that I didn't really think about these again, I was avoiding all kinds of heavy perfumes and mukhs in general and also sandalwood (which makes your arm useless for testing samples on for a ridiculous amount of time).

I realize now that these were probably a new release that was about to come out at the time, and a pretty exciting collection, probably worthy of a little more attention.

I feel kind of bad about not giving them a little bit of time snd energy… smelling this musk III recently (I stumbled on the samples when organizing) was a pleasant surprise and a reminder that these samples
are worth revisiting. Very nice blend, truly smells like quality perfume. Anyway all respect (and apologies) to Adam, he has been such an enthusiast since the get-go and his perfumes seem to reflect his passion and vision.
 
Last edited:
Having some success with blending some natural bases to use in compounding complex perfumes, in this case an ambergris substitute, and a kind of "house masala" which is my attempt to make this vision i have of a wood / spice combo to form the base of a couple of fragrances.

The ambergris substitute wouldn't fool anyone at first (nor is it intended to) but the dry-down is long lasting and has some of the same impact, in the way i had hoped it would. That blend includes clary sage oil and absolute, benzoin, natural/fermented ambroxide, hainan oud, natural vanillin, ambrette seed and a handful of others. Can't wait to use this in a perfume.

The house masala was inspired by some of baieido's and shoyeido's incense mixes... it is nice right now but pretty rough, hope to make a perfume based on it some day.

At some point I would like each of these to be perfumes in themselves. but their purpose right now is to form the second half of some complex perfumes down the road a ways.

Working on my own mixtures like this means I can't wear sandalwood or mukhallats from anyone else during the days I am working because it becomes impossible to analyze scent.
I’m currently reading a 9th. Century book by Yaqub Alkindi on perfumery, he has almost a dozen recipes for ambergris substitutes, but going out and hunting for ambergris on the beach is easier than some of the recipes mentioned. I’ll share them if you’re interested.
 
Back
Top