NTT sandalwood, Ruh Gulab, Nagaland Kalakas oud all in one bottle. I just tried it after blending and it’s already good. I’ll leave it in the drawer for a couple weeks and see how it develops.
This actually lasts more than expected it’s more than 6 hours now and I can still smell the sweetness, and the creamy background scents of the rose and sandalwood. I only used a tiny bit of the oud but it helped a lot it seems with the dry down and longevity.

Color for reference
[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
Last edited:
Again with Kalakas Nagaland oud, green fresh Australian sandalwood, Jasmin sambac, cardamom, and benzoin.
I’m trying to make a winter attar but this turned out fresher that I expected, perhaps I’ll add a darker Hindi oud, or aged Malinau.
 
Again with Kalakas Nagaland oud, green fresh Australian sandalwood, Jasmin sambac, cardamom, and benzoin.
I’m trying to make a winter attar but this turned out fresher that I expected, perhaps I’ll add a darker Hindi oud, or aged Malinau.
I haven't really messed around with cardamom, it is one of a few spices that I look forward to experimenting with!

What are the characteristics of winter attars as you see them?

I have been making one that features balsam fir, frankincense, some citrus, which brings evergreens, winter solstice, yuletide celebrations etc.. I don't feel like it's particularly creative but it is pleasant enough.
 
I haven't really messed around with cardamom, it is one of a few spices that I look forward to experimenting with!

What are the characteristics of winter attars as you see them?

I have been making one that features balsam fir, frankincense, some citrus, which brings evergreens, winter solstice, yuletide celebrations etc.. I don't feel like it's particularly creative but it is pleasant enough.
Cardamom is a potent ingredient so use very carefully and dilute.
Winter perfume for me has these notes (not necessarily together) : smoke, wood, resin, vanilla or vanilla, cinnamon, hot spice, maybe a subtle floral, dry earth and wood, a little sweetness. And orange or maybe a little mild citrus.
 
Royal Jardin - Sulaym

Great combo of a Meroke oud with a wonderful Ta’if rose.

It is bitter and a little spicy (clove-like) on the opening and the oud is quite noticeable but it quickly shifts (in the first few minutes) to become more rose-centric. The combination is almost minty with a slight leathery backbone from the oud (which is about as animalic as this oud gets which could be a positive or negative depending on your taste for challenging fragrances).

As far as this genre of fragrances (Oud+rose) goes I would say this is an example of one that would be perfectly suitable to wear in the summer mainly due to the oud itself being a little more herbaceous. It projects really well for something that is made presumably with all natural ingredients!
 
Last edited:
I recently got many many things from various brands, slowly trying them, made a big order from rising pheonix, the two stand outs for me from my first impressions of the rising pheonix order have been the saffron attar and hayasan rose attar.

Wearing the saffron attar now, it captures the smell of actual saffron so well, the sweetness and creaminess is amped up by the sandalwood base, but the longevity is poor
 
Last edited:
I recently got many many things from various brands, slowly trying them, made a big order from rising pheonix, the two stand outs for me from my first impressions of the rising pheonix order have been the saffron attar and hayasan rose attar.

Wearing the saffron attar now, it captures the smell of actual saffron so well, the sweetness is creaminess is amped up by the sandalwood base, but the longevity is poor
I'm pleased to hear that about the saffron attar as I also bought it recently. But I've been lucky enough to discover so many lovely things from the other vendors here that it's going to be awhile before I can put them aside. To be blessed with so many choices!
 
I also put on sulaym ghaliya now. Very well blended, sweet creamy floral oudy.

I am not exactly sure what gives it this creaminess / smoothness, it's not exactly like a sandalwood type of creaminess it's different, maybe the ambergris?

The oud is prominent throughout and so is the rose. The musk supports it all nicely, but the musk is subtle here not prominent. Oud and rose are the prominent notes and the creaminess / smoothness is also prominent.

I also was really excited to Try ashworth oud's musk al taif ghaliyah. I watched his video about it and it sounded amazing but unfortunately sold out and cannot buy now. Especially he talked about how the cardamom oil made the blend that much nicer despite not really being prominent. Was curious to try it and compare to other ghaliya.
 
I also put on sulaym ghaliya now. Very well blended, sweet creamy floral oudy.

I am not exactly sure what gives it this creaminess / smoothness, it's not exactly like a sandalwood type of creaminess it's different, maybe the ambergris?

The oud is prominent throughout and so is the rose. The musk supports it all nicely, but the musk is subtle here not prominent. Oud and rose are the prominent notes and the creaminess / smoothness is also prominent.

I also was really excited to Try ashworth oud's musk al taif ghaliyah. I watched his video about it and it sounded amazing but unfortunately sold out and cannot buy now. Especially he talked about how the cardamom oil made the blend that much nicer despite not really being prominent. Was curious to try it and compare to other ghaliya.
I'm not familiar with Ashworth Oud's ghaliyah but Sulaym's is one I fell in love with. Al Shareef Oud's is another. They're both rose-oud-musk but apart from that, very different. I don't spend a lot of time analyzing them; they just make me happy.

​

 
AA Kyara to Byakudan

this is the best sandalwood perfume. I can't imagine anything beating it in the near future. I've tried almost all of sandalwood perfume out there, and they all come short to this one. I've tried Jinx Santal Proto and 1952, ALD Santal Galore, EO Santal Sultan and Crime & Punishment and many more, all come second to this one.
 
Gül Yagi (rose otto) from Mesoud - this sample goes back to his early days here. I don't know the origin but I assume (and it smells like) it is Turkish rose, and a good quality specimen at that. It overlaps with the Bulgarian profile to a degree - top notes are simple and directly rosey like an oil that has had time to age, profile somewhat citrusy but not overly lemony, some fruity notes like raspberries present but not too strong. Nice stuff.
 
Gül Yagi (rose otto) from Mesoud - this sample goes back to his early days here. I don't know the origin but I assume (and it smells like) it is Turkish rose, and a good quality specimen at that. It overlaps with the Bulgarian profile to a degree - top notes are simple and directly rosey like an oil that has had time to age, profile somewhat citrusy but not overly lemony, some fruity notes like raspberries present but not too strong. Nice stuff.
Yes it is Turkish Rose
 
Cardamom is a potent ingredient so use very carefully and dilute.
Experienced this first hand about two weeks ago. I put a very tiny amount (touching a glass stirring stick to the side of the top) into my blend of Nagaland (Sulaym's Aqsa) with a couple of drops of ASO's Ward Ta'ifi and the cardamom absolutely went crazy and stayed that way for the first week and a half!

Today's it's a lot more balanced and it's bringing out the natural cardamom like cooling facets of this Nagaland oil, Ta'ifi has been relegated to the back but still adding a touch of elegance. I wanted to amp up the sweetness somehow, and I choose a very tiny amount, basically what was left in a bottle of Kangiiten's Kangii Attar, which is a very full rose-y scent but also quite sweet. The final product is very enjoyable, let's see how it holds up in a couple of weeks time but for today I couldn't be more pleased. I'm always searching for cooling scents with an underlying sweetness to them, and it's a great feeling to be able to make them, given it might only last for a day or two at these proportions 😂

Edit: Kangii Attar is apparently more Rose Absolute heavy. While rose essential oils can be citrus like, air-y, focusing on the herbal and green facets, the ability to add sweetness alongside florals notes means I can sweeten blends a lot easier with this material, I'm quite excited!

Has anyone who's blended or experienced mukhallats with cardamom noticed how on occasion they can feel "warmer" than the material otherwise would indicate?
 
Last edited:
I’m not sure if this is a Patchouli perfume/ mukhallat or just a modified patchouli.

I found 2.5 ml of an already decently aged light patchouli that I had forgotten about for the last 7 years. During its time sitting in the back of a drawer it took on a very mild chocolate note that I wanted to amplify and also to adjust the mid dry down that was a little wispy. I started with a literal drop of myrrh CO2 and some Peru balsam for warmth and depth.

While that rested I also prepared a Malinau oud with santal/musk in a green smelling Mitti attar to macerate in its own bottle for six weeks. Once the fully macerated patchouli and oud were blended I added the literal dregs of a rose absolute that had some Hindi Oud and santal/musk already in it. Ultra smooth and suave but not enough to do very much else with. To that I added Tuberose absolute, Osmanthus, a Thai Crassna and Jasmine polyanthum enfleurage.

This was absolutely crazy once all three were blended. Every ingredient showed up and the different “accords” were pulling against each other. It smelled at first lIke a chocolate cherry liquer, the Osmanthus and the tiny bit of Crassna doing double duty. Both of the other ouds were present and it was the Malinau that really shone out through all the intervening layers. The patchouli was still the main player, but the peru balsam and myrrh had added a dominating sharp note to the patchouli that eventually kind of spoiled the overall effect.

I thought I had wasted all the other materials but I just came home from a week out of town and it’s smoothed out incredibly. The rose is the first note now, but fleeting and powdery and sitting on top of the chocolate note that I thought I had lost. There’s hints of tea and almost a camphor green musty smell. It’s surprisingly dry and woody and almost like an old fashioned cologne. It’s still a patchouli forward scent but a very specific one. I grew up around cotton fields and cotton gins and patchouli reminds me of the way dried cotton plants smell when being processed. It still needs a few more weeks to come together but I’m feeling pretty good about the direction it’s going. If this turns out it will definitely be pure luck rather than any kind of skill or experience.
 
Home after a long work day, a few swipes of Ghaliyah Banu Hashim - An Najwa.
One of my very favourite compositions. It’s developed beautifully over the last year, the Musk & Ambergris has fully infused now, elevating the blend to new heights.
It was stunning when I first received it at the start of the year, now it’s twice as good!
Everything is wonderfully balanced, the very clever Rose note in the heart, resinous woody Hindi Ouds, the comfortable sweetness of the Beeswax & Tonka plus that glorious heavenly Musk / Ambergris dry down; animalic, salty, leathery yet powdery, polished & refined.
One of the best 5 attars I have ever put my nose on.
 
Experienced this first hand about two weeks ago. I put a very tiny amount (touching a glass stirring stick to the side of the top) into my blend of Nagaland (Sulaym's Aqsa) with a couple of drops of ASO's Ward Ta'ifi and the cardamom absolutely went crazy and stayed that way for the first week and a half!

Today's it's a lot more balanced and it's bringing out the natural cardamom like cooling facets of this Nagaland oil, Ta'ifi has been relegated to the back but still adding a touch of elegance. I wanted to amp up the sweetness somehow, and I choose a very tiny amount, basically what was left in a bottle of Kangiiten's Kangii Attar, which is a very full rose-y scent but also quite sweet. The final product is very enjoyable, let's see how it holds up in a couple of weeks time but for today I couldn't be more pleased. I'm always searching for cooling scents with an underlying sweetness to them, and it's a great feeling to be able to make them, given it might only last for a day or two at these proportions 😂

Edit: Kangii Attar is apparently more Rose Absolute heavy. While rose essential oils can be citrus like, air-y, focusing on the herbal and green facets, the ability to add sweetness alongside florals notes means I can sweeten blends a lot easier with this material, I'm quite excited!

Has anyone who's blended or experienced mukhallats with cardamom noticed how on occasion they can feel "warmer" than the material otherwise would indicate?
ASO has been utilising Cardamom to great effect for years now, especially in his perfume Ishraaq & Al Ghaliyah II attar. I suspect in his limited Al Ghaliyah Spray, also.
It has a brilliant fresh camphor effect, complimenting the crystalline Rose top note but also contrasting very well with the dark Oud / Musk bases. It’s a wonderful effect, lifting the heavier materials while also presenting a lovely fresh spiciness.
 
Last edited:
Mukhallat of The Day
Elkhaldi - Ghazali + a fat swipe of traditional trad oil from Sokkat Al Teeb (Trad Alhattab)

The strong oud highlighted the sweet delicious facet of the rose in the opening of Ghazali and I still smell bright beautiful rose all around me. Eventhough I am not a rose fan, I am enjoying it 🌹💐🪵
 
Back
Top