Wore a personal mukhallat today around the house today that I blended over the past couple weeks (6?). It has mostly mysore sandal, with a good dose of crassna (khao yai @Mr.Safinity, a touch of trat at the top (also from safe) and a bump of hindi (gafur) at the base. At first i thought it would be oud with some sandal but the emotional reaction took me to sandal, with some oud, very therapeutic and addictive. Bright, juicy resinous in the beginning and crisp and dry and airy in the dry-down. Not sure its complete yet but highly enjoyable and exactly what i wanted to experience so far. When i said around the house i really meant “on the couch” as a herniated disk took priority over life today.
 
Last edited:
Scentient Nature Nuit d'Assam.

Wonderful aged Damask rose otto blended with 20% Assam Oud.

Seeing your post only now, as I haven't been here in quite a while.

Thanks for mentioning the attar ! Glad you seem to be enjoying it !

Also, if you ever re-order anything, don't hesitat to write me a pm here first : as mentioned on the signature, I offer personalized discounts codes to people who are active on Ouddict. I mention this because it seems many people don't see the signature when I post.
 
This sounds absolutely incredible, while these ratios seen reversed to what I have tried or experienced, I imagine an intensely barny Hindi mixed with a wonderful rose otto ... would be something feral and alluring, magical almost!

Alluring and bit feral was excatly the intent, yes !

As we are based in Europe (not EU, CH), we have developped attars that are suitable for the tastes of our real-life clientele (we also offer more classical ratios on demand for clients who prefer those this said).
 
Alluring and bit feral was excatly the intent, yes !

As we are based in Europe (not EU, CH), we have developped attars that are suitable for the tastes of our real-life clientele (we also offer more classical ratios on demand for clients who prefer those this said).
You have some very fine rose oil, my friend! can't say that I've smelled any better. 🙂
 
At the moment I'm wearing a patchouly resinoid I made this year, extracted from a few hundred grams of yamada matsu leaves I purchased in 2001.

I've never made a patchouly resinoid other than this one so I don't know which notes that I'm smelling are typical for this versus reflecting the age of the material.

Smell is quite different from the distilled oils and absolutes; struggling to come up with specific adjectives to describe the difference, it's kind of like a full dried leafy quality in the top notes, a bit "stuffy", with a dry down that is classic patchouly, but a very distinctive heavy low lying mellow version of it without so many of the camphor like and bright mid tones of the distilled oil.

You couldn't swap this out for regular patchouli in a blend but some of it combined with regular patch would add interesting nuances...
 
Last edited:
It means a lot coming from you :praying:❤️‍:praying:
I just took another sniff of that first fraction oil from the threads, absolutely pristine classic charming delicate fresh dewy rose. 🙂
 
Jasmine grandiflorum absolute is such a strange and contradictory material. Under certain conditions a swipe will produce the most beautiful delicate fresh life-like tropical wafts of scent; under others it smells heavy, stuffy, cloying, indolic. This is one of those things that has to be smelled "the right way" because the same exact oil can smell wonderful or irritating depending on how it is worn.

When the humidity and concentration is just right, to me, no oil or attar approaches the complex beauty of high-quality authentic jasmine grand. At least that's how I feel at the moment after swiping this old fine batch of select Egyptian. Would swap any oud, sandalwood or rose in my stash for a jasmine specimen of higher quality than what I have.

Sambac has turned out to be a big surprise to me because based on the smell of the fresh plant I would've expected the oils to be similarly transfixing, complex, and evocative. Every single specimen of the oil of this species to me is relatively linear, simple, and while very pretty they have none of the complex multilayered "psychoactivity" (for a lack of a better word) of the grandiflorum. On a certain level, for me, the only true jasmine is grandiflorum (it being the first one that I really tuned into and thus kind of set my expectations).
 
Last edited:
today I put on a drop of one of my aging favorites: dark Indonesian patchouli with a ton of Siberian musk grain. both this, and my sandalwood macerations have really become something beautiful over the last year 😍
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
    20260412_091213.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 0
that is indeed a long time!
It took me forever to find any mix that I felt was an improvement on really good sandalwood oil on its own. well not an improvement, just not making it worse I guess

I don't mean to make it sound like I've been furiously mixing every day for three years or anything like that, but I do some kind of layering with it almost daily, and although I've come up with many pleasant combinations, there weren't any that I would be willing to sacrifice any really good old sandalwood oil to make.
 
Last edited:
Wore a personal mukhallat today around the house today that I blended over the past couple weeks (6?). It has mostly mysore sandal, with a good dose of crassna (khao yai @Mr.Safinity, a touch of trat at the top (also from safe) and a bump of hindi (gafur) at the base. At first i thought it would be oud with some sandal but the emotional reaction took me to sandal, with some oud, very therapeutic and addictive. Bright, juicy resinous in the beginning and crisp and dry and airy in the dry-down. Not sure its complete yet but highly enjoyable and exactly what i wanted to experience so far. When i said around the house i really meant “on the couch” as a herniated disk took priority over life today.
It hits different when it’s a personal mukhallat. Right? I’m waiting for 2 mukhalats to mature. Just a few weeks left on both of them. One is a summer blend and the other is more wintery. Get well soon!
 
Swipe of "sweet fern" (Comptonia) resinoid made last year. It is a strange but appealing scent. Sweet and sugary top note, like a blend of jasmine and strawberry; dry down is warm sweet musky like the dry down of ambergris and labdanum (there is some connection between these two…). I knew it would have that ambery labdanum facet, it's a noticeable aroma when you're in an area where the plant has been growing for a while. Never never saw the sugary floral and berry like notes coming though. Worth extracting if you have a patch nearby. I think it's pretty common here in the north eastern United States. I harvested the leaves at the end of the growing season a short while before the plant would've dropped them anyway. I am certain you could also gather up the dried leaves under the plant and extract those because they smell just like labdanum.
 
Last edited:
Wore a personal mukhallat today around the house today that I blended over the past couple weeks (6?). It has mostly mysore sandal, with a good dose of crassna (khao yai @Mr.Safinity, a touch of trat at the top (also from safe) and a bump of hindi (gafur) at the base. At first i thought it would be oud with some sandal but the emotional reaction took me to sandal, with some oud, very therapeutic and addictive. Bright, juicy resinous in the beginning and crisp and dry and airy in the dry-down. Not sure its complete yet but highly enjoyable and exactly what i wanted to experience so far. When i said around the house i really meant “on the couch” as a herniated disk took priority over life today.
Sounds good. Safinity is a source I've been seeing a lot of mentions of recently here and on basenotes, interesting to see you using their oud.
 
It hits different when it’s a personal mukhallat. Right? I’m waiting for 2 mukhalats to mature. Just a few weeks left on both of them. One is a summer blend and the other is more wintery. Get well soon!
It does yes and thank you! This is my first go at it and did do something similar with a one “summer” and one “winter” blend (which is a hindi patchouli blend)
 
Sounds good. Safinity is a source I've been seeing a lot of mentions of recently here and on basenotes, interesting to see you using their oud.
Yes he makes a great commercial crassna oil at an unbeatable price! Very happy to have found such quality in a non-artisanal oud so I can formulate and experiment with guilt free. Also very friendly to deal with.
 
Yes he makes a great commercial crassna oil at an unbeatable price! Very happy to have found such quality in a non-artisanal oud so I can formulate and experiment with guilt free. Also very friendly to deal with.
I gave his generous sample offer a try, hoping to find a crassna to work with. The plantation sample is awesome for the price point. I have a great appetite for green smelling oils and the sample fits my palette incredibly well. Herbal and slightly camphor.
 
Woke up with the urge to coswipe oud and rose today. Went with Mohamed Ayub & Co Azraqi Khālis (Nagaland, 🇮🇳) and Fraterworks Superior Bulgaria (🇧🇬).

The oud has a traditional barnyard profile and is smoky-mineral with a touch of chocolate orange. The rose is impressively potent, showing piercing citrus and green-vegetal notes. Swiping the rose first is the way to go here as it seriously wants to eat up the oud.

[Ouddict.com] Attar/Mukhallat of the Day
 
At the moment I'm wearing a patchouly resinoid I made this year, extracted from a few hundred grams of yamada matsu leaves I purchased in 2001.

I've never made a patchouly resinoid other than this one so I don't know which notes that I'm smelling are typical for this versus reflecting the age of the material.

Smell is quite different from the distilled oils and absolutes; struggling to come up with specific adjectives to describe the difference, it's kind of like a full dried leafy quality in the top notes, a bit "stuffy", with a dry down that is classic patchouly, but a very distinctive heavy low lying mellow version of it without so many of the camphor like and bright mid tones of the distilled oil.

You couldn't swap this out for regular patchouli in a blend but some of it combined with regular patch would add interesting nuances...
I love mine. Freshly made it was some sort of aromatic-caramel with only a faint resemblance to the normal oil, but with time it morphs into some sort of a patchouli-coeur, the typical patchouli scent minus both the sharp and damp notes.
I also have a 50-50 blend of distilled and extracted patch which is almost a gourmand sweet herbal scent that in dry down mellows down towards the plain extract notes. 😋
 
I also like Ruh Motia. I have a small vial of it that was included when I bought some oils from Lucky Oud. This Ruh Motia is super smooth. Yesterday I tried Mysore Hojari by Tabeer Oud. It opens green. Hojari is what we get first on the first swipe and sandalwood appears immediately very well blended with Hojari. There is a natural smoky aspect to Sandalwood which gets amplified by Hojari. Seemingly very high quality just two ingredients have been used in this composition. I thought it was gone after about fifteen minutes but I started getting wafts again after about two hours. A very nice, meditative experience.
 
Back
Top