Based on the formation of the resin surrounding the hole, and thus the overall shape, my guess is the holes were drilled, and in some cases nailed, and in rare cases... insect holes.

Even wild trees get drilled.
 
The holes are tiny, I can’t see anyone drilling with a toothpick sized bit or nailing with tiny little finish nails,
Maybe Ahmed can shed some light on this wood, I think knows the hunter who found this particular tree
 
Oh, I bet some holes are formed when the knots from branches and twigs while the tree was young start to decay away, but I’m totally guessing😀
 
Agreed but those do not look to be from branches you can tell from the grain I think. As I see it, a drill hole and injection site. Looks like (as expected) the resin forms most where the inoculate soaked in near the drill hole
 
Agreed but those do not look to be from branches you can tell from the grain I think. As I see it, a drill hole and injection site. Looks like (as expected) the resin forms most where the inoculate soaked in near the drill hole
Totally wrong mrP, that tiny whole was drilled by Ahmed while he was cleaning, absolutely no inoculate was used . This is wild tree unaided in its development. Another piece was drilled and split open and found to have eggs inside from the bugs! I do wonder where the information comes from? My info is from the source The resin around the hole is so old it pushes out of the wood fibers.
and When I heat the wood it totally softens and the whole piece turns soft and gooey!
I have never herd of a plantation in Brunei and would love if anyone can find one.
plantation wood is usually much lighter, this wood is dense and will sink underwater with most pieces.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Nusa from ASO for morning meditation
That's such a nice way to start the day. Nusa is a beautiful wood that gives off very different notes at different heat.

I tried the kyara sticks from ASO -Floating Mountains. Man, that is exactly the profile that I imagined oud would have before I tried it for the first time.
Wonderful. In oil form that would be my fav oud. I love how fragrant the sticks by themselves are, keep sniffing them.
 
It is my understanding as well that the hole in the middle is due to excavation of white wood when the chip hasn't been left in the tree long enough to allow infection to completely resonate throughout to create a solid piece without any 'white' wood in it's core. Below is an example of a similar species (I believe) that has resonated more fully - this is a solid piece, if I cut in half, it would not have a hole in the center. However, you can see in the photo that there was a mm or two of softer wood that was dug out - as this was cut from the end of what was likely a bigger piece that would have been hollowed out - most likely.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I tried the kyara sticks from ASO -Floating Mountains. Man, that is exactly the profile that I imagined oud would have before I tried it for the first time.
Wonderful. In oil form that would be my fav oud. I love how fragrant the sticks by themselves are, keep sniffing them.
I have just been sent a piece from ASO in my just arrived parcel...
 
Back
Top