I don't see not many bug-bitten ouds mentioned in the gulf, western oud community. or even 'ripe formation', 'alive formation'.
I'm not sure you guys ever tried these types of ouds because they all have noticeably different scent profiles to my nose.

with that said, went for Vietnamese bug-bitten oud. condensed honey sweetness overshadows Vietnamese's profile. I get a bit of molasses too.
damp, deep, heavy, lactonic.
 
I don't see not many bug-bitten ouds mentioned in the gulf, western oud community. or even 'ripe formation', 'alive formation'.
I'm not sure you guys ever tried these types of ouds because they all have noticeably different scent profiles to my nose.

with that said, went for Vietnamese bug-bitten oud. condensed honey sweetness overshadows Vietnamese's profile. I get a bit of molasses too.
damp, deep, heavy, lactonic.
Bug-bitten would be the same as ant-nest or those infested with other bugs/insects? I've heard that such wood has more sweetness to it.
 
I don't see not many bug-bitten ouds mentioned in the gulf, western oud community. or even 'ripe formation', 'alive formation'.
I'm not sure you guys ever tried these types of ouds because they all have noticeably different scent profiles to my nose.

with that said, went for Vietnamese bug-bitten oud. condensed honey sweetness overshadows Vietnamese's profile. I get a bit of molasses too.
damp, deep, heavy, lactonic.
that's because of them don't use that grading system sadly, you may see the pieces offered for sale but its mixed with other stuff =)
even the soil wood have the same issue, you may find it but seller doesn't know it, only recently here some of new young sellers you see them list soil wood from certain places, in general nah
there is a really good old burmese with some ant-holes pieces we might get soon, i'll make sure to post pictures of those if i ever got
 
@zahir all ant-nest is bug-bitten, but not all bug-bitten is ant-nest. the scent profile can change by what kind of bug caused the infection.
in general, ant, maggot, silverfish these three bugs are the most prominent causes. (according to a local vendor) and they gnaw the trees in different shapes thus the scents are different.

@iori yeah, I think this grading system is overlooked in the gulf market. I hope we get to see more of these woods in near future.
 
@zahir all ant-nest is bug-bitten, but not all bug-bitten is ant-nest. the scent profile can change by what kind of bug caused the infection.
in general, ant, maggot, silverfish these three bugs are the most prominent causes. (according to a local vendor) and they gnaw the trees in different shapes thus the scents are different.

@iori yeah, I think this grading system is overlooked in the gulf market. I hope we get to see more of these woods in near future.
I have Sumatran chips with eggs and insects in them, no ants, and the smell is not very sweet.
 
Again, Oudbase's sumatran bliss. savoring the same chip.

white floral creaminess. somewhat reminds me of the Sri Lankan guava note.
sweet, and still has that Borneo-ish vibe. it's very smooth.
at $75 for 15g, it's really really nice. great stuff.
 
Back
Top