wild Pursat sinking grade powder came along with cultivated kyaras.
wow, didn't expect it to be this good.
very oudy, beeswax-like resinous sweetness, some purple florals.
awesome awesome
I can second that, I got a free sample of wild sinking Pursat, sinking grade powder . I was absolutely taken aback by the quality. I’m a hard one to please when it comes to powders. I’m always suspicious of adulteration but this powder get a clean report
 
Tonga sandalwood on the Heater
🙏🏼 prayers being sent to the people of Tonga in these hard times
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    CBB8E0F6-72E8-403C-9340-B0BA35C05086.webp
    182.7 KB · Views: 140
That wood looks interesting ejayb.

today I am trying to replicate a smooth herb/spice mixture aroma that I can’t pinpoint to a specific brand or stick, just a perception / memory of scent that has formed over time in smelling Japanese and Chinese incense.

so I have the subitism hooked up and am testing blends out. I am grinding things including patchouli leaf, frankincense tears, clove, kunroku, benzoin and others. One thing I learned this morning is having more patchouly leaf in there ads pretty delightful effect. So my spice and herb mixture will be blended into a base of patchouly leaf for my next rounds of tests.

This is a great and easy way to try different herb combinations and see how they layer with different agarwood and Sandalwood. The goal is to find something that I could make into a stick or one of those chipped mixtures like baieido and shoyeido say. Or maybe grind it up and make it into Zuko powder of some kind.

Another thing I’ve noticed is you get some really surprising combinations that you can’t really see so much in the parts. For example I layered one mixture with a little bit of the cultivated kinam and I got these occasional intense sweet penetrating floral note that really didn’t resemble any of the ingredients in themselves. Some strange resonance of materials.

As you can see my subitism is in need of some cleaning and a rebuild of the mica plate. For now I am using jumper cables and a lab power supply
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    8C9B75ED-E0E4-48B1-ABFE-9351936BCA84.webp
    193.1 KB · Views: 143
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    8FE75424-7D39-47FD-B11E-193BD7D1F637.webp
    156.4 KB · Views: 127
That wood looks interesting ejayb.

today I am trying to replicate a smooth herb/spice mixture aroma that I can’t pinpoint to a specific brand or stick, just a perception / memory of scent that has formed over time in smelling Japanese and Chinese incense.

so I have the subitism hooked up and am testing blends out. I am grinding things including patchouli leaf, frankincense tears, clove, kunroku, benzoin and others. One thing I learned this morning is having more patchouly leaf in there ads pretty delightful effect. So my spice and herb mixture will be blended into a base of patchouly leaf for my next rounds of tests.

This is a great and easy way to try different herb combinations and see how they layer with different agarwood and Sandalwood. The goal is to find something that I could make into a stick or one of those chipped mixtures like baieido and shoyeido say. Or maybe grind it up and make it into Zuko powder of some kind.

Another thing I’ve noticed is you get some really surprising combinations that you can’t really see so much in the parts. For example I layered one mixture with a little bit of the cultivated kinam and I got these occasional intense sweet penetrating floral note that really didn’t resemble any of the ingredients in themselves. Some strange resonance of materials.

As you can see my subitism is in need of some cleaning and a rebuild of the mica plate. For now I am using jumper cables and a lab power supply
Looks amazing and I imagine smells even better, I’m fully in love with patchouli leaf but have been struggling to keep them alive!!
Very cold sensitive plant
 
That wood looks interesting ejayb.

today I am trying to replicate a smooth herb/spice mixture aroma that I can’t pinpoint to a specific brand or stick, just a perception / memory of scent that has formed over time in smelling Japanese and Chinese incense.

so I have the subitism hooked up and am testing blends out. I am grinding things including patchouli leaf, frankincense tears, clove, kunroku, benzoin and others. One thing I learned this morning is having more patchouly leaf in there ads pretty delightful effect. So my spice and herb mixture will be blended into a base of patchouly leaf for my next rounds of tests.

This is a great and easy way to try different herb combinations and see how they layer with different agarwood and Sandalwood. The goal is to find something that I could make into a stick or one of those chipped mixtures like baieido and shoyeido say. Or maybe grind it up and make it into Zuko powder of some kind.

Another thing I’ve noticed is you get some really surprising combinations that you can’t really see so much in the parts. For example I layered one mixture with a little bit of the cultivated kinam and I got these occasional intense sweet penetrating floral note that really didn’t resemble any of the ingredients in themselves. Some strange resonance of materials.

As you can see my subitism is in need of some cleaning and a rebuild of the mica plate. For now I am using jumper cables and a lab power supply
That looks so cool honestly. How do you grind your woods? And how do you store your ground materials?
 
That looks so cool honestly. How do you grind your woods? And how do you store your ground materials?
I have a brass mortar and pestle that can pound pretty much anything to a powder given enough time. You can see it in the picture that’s less zoomed in. First saw one of these
in a Chinese herb shop and managed to find one for myself. The leather skirt around the pestle keeps scattered material trapped in the mortar. The head of the pestle is a heavy solid brass piece and it hits with a lot of momentum and really makes short work of things compared to the other mortar/pestle pairs I have tried.

I also have a Turkish coffee grinder that makes a very fine grind, and a zassenhaus coffee grinder i got just for grinding incense. Their blades / burrs are very sharp and made of high hardness steel. Have not used either of the coffee grinders for incense in a long time though.
 
Looks amazing and I imagine smells even better, I’m fully in love with patchouli leaf but have been struggling to keep them alive!!
Very cold sensitive plant
My patchouli leaf was purchased from
Yamada Matsu in 1999/2000… not sure if it has reached its expiration date or not but I assume it is way too old to be a good specimen. It is what I have though, and I have about a kilogram of it since I bought that much and haven’t used much, so it will have to do, for now.

Ejayb I would definitely like to grow some, in fact I’m starting to look at my spring garden prep and I think I’ll make sure I have some patchouly growing indoors until the weather allows me to move it out. I grew it once a long time ago and I love the smell of the fresh plant. I know you do your research so I assume you know that you’re supposed to ferment/oxidize it kind of like the way black tea is made. Why am I mentioning it if I assume that you know it? Who knows. Well one thought I was having is it might be interesting theoretically to play with different treatments because patchouly is a very rich complicated material. Kind of like the difference between green tea and more fermented teas that may take decades to mature.

patchouli keeps surprising me over and over. I think I understand it, but then I check some other batch and am surprised again. I have to keep rediscovering how much it is a multifaceted, multi layered, very complex scent and different batches/extraction methods/isolates/ages all have different nuances.

I haven’t explored regional profile differences and I think that’s something I’d like to try out. If I could get patchouly from someone who cares enough to truly keep track of its provenance, extraction method, etc that would be great. Any suggestions for where to start other than the handful of US resellers we probably all know about? Who has a good patchouli library to pick from.

by the way, any of you missing white lotus aromatics these days? 🙁
 
Last edited:
Ancient indeed! From the moment I first smelled a bottle of true quality patchouly, it just immediately evoked some sense of primal beauty. Deep earthy ancient mossy scent that grabs you by the hypothalamus or whatever.

I didn’t get that so much when I smelled the clouds of it at grateful dead concerts I attended a few years after finding that first amazing bottle, and I’ve always (lightheartedly) resented the fact that I can’t really bust out my patchouly because mediocre patchouly is associated with a heavily drug oriented lifestyle. Inaccurately probably, but inescapably for now it seems. 🙁

Some very old patchouly takes on some really delicate ethereal qualities I don’t really know how to describe it but definitely sublime. I have this old oil that’s almost solid it’s been oxidizing for so long. I wish I knew what region it came from it has a pretty mellow scent as far as patchouly goes, very pleasant earthy kind of reminds me a very old maroke oud - it has that same kind of rich oily resin quality but of course doesn’t literally smell like oud.
 
Back
Top