What’s

What’s the difference in scent from other types of cultivated Kinam? I have tried a lot of cultivated Kinam and always directly from the farm , I have seen different levels of infection and slight differences in performance but it’s all pretty much the same. I think once the wood leaves the farm the vendors start up the marketing machine to boost sales. It’s a tough sale with out embellishments as it’s really just a price difference between the stories. Cultivated Kinam grows at a rate much faster then traditional AGARWOOD and as such is worth much less in my opinion.
I love heating cultivated Kinam but don’t buy into the color hype as unlike wild Kinam the cultivated all smells the same to me
According to Kangiiten (=> KZ), something to do with variations in their top notes. The dry downs will be similar. I can't really comment on other varieties as I just started delving into the world of cultivated k. Here is the relevant text.
Kangiiten site said:
Whilst most shin-kyaras when heated have similar kinamic, woody and oudy core base notes, the olfactory differences between the colours are in the more volatile early heating notes. White present strong cinnamonic tones, cool sweetness, whilst purple is the boldest and spiciest. Green starts minty and lush, black, is the quietest and the sweetest of them all.
I find KZ's description to the point as usual. I have no plan on delving into wild kinam/kyrara world.

@Oudamberlove I am worried about my wallet!
 
I collect and burn wild Kinam , very different from place to place and color variety but the cultivated Kinam that I buy and sell comes directly from the plantation no middleman,
My information comes from the farmer not a salesman. I am a farmer myself and have developed relations with these farms. There are mother trees. They produce more intense scent of the same theme but it’s difference is minute. The clones are grown to different ages/stages and the harvest isn’t all at once but over time and as it ages and is damaged more it produces different levels of infection.
Slight differences but not enough to start comparing and collecting them as different.
Very unlike wild Kinam
Cultivated Kinam is THE fastest growing form of AGARWOOD and requires no inoculation
(Long conversation) and as such should be cheaper then other cultivated woods that actually take time to grow and form properly and I do believe the wholesale price is consistently going down and should be at 1$ a gram soon and some people are already getting that price on big orders
 
Last edited:
Hey everyone! I’m quite new here, glad I found this haven! I’ve learnt some new things and really looking forward to learning even more!
So I’ve been burning bakhoor for about a year (fallen in love with burning bakhoor😍) and I’ve learnt some new tricks to longer burn and retaining heat with coal. But I’ve recently bought the swift coal - realised very quickly they have so much heat coming off them which has led to a very quick burn of any bakhoor I place.
So can anyone here pls kindly advise me on how to stop having such a quick burn on a swift coal (coal that needs literally a match stick to light it up) and any other advice will be much appreciated! Thank you all 😊
 
When I had the swift or hookah coal, I would light it up in a dish outside and give it a good 15 minutes at least to let the white ash build up. Then, id pile more ash on top untill it reached desired Temps.

I also saw shoyeido also sells a ceremonial charcoal that is supposed to be a better quality but I've never tried

I use the affordable box of rectangular shoyeido charcoal that has a very mild heat after a few moments with mica. I further break the rectangle into a small square and thats enough for me.

Plus, there's no accelerant smell that the self lighting ones have!

Best luck !!



Brunei on coal
The deep fragrance
That sticks and lingers!
 
Last edited:
Cultivated Kinam on the heater
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    4923F9D6-00D5-4C73-95D8-7081A9F11A1E.webp
    146.5 KB · Views: 122
Hey everyone! I’m quite new here, glad I found this haven! I’ve learnt some new things and really looking forward to learning even more!
So I’ve been burning bakhoor for about a year (fallen in love with burning bakhoor😍) and I’ve learnt some new tricks to longer burn and retaining heat with coal. But I’ve recently bought the swift coal - realised very quickly they have so much heat coming off them which has led to a very quick burn of any bakhoor I place.
So can anyone here pls kindly advise me on how to stop having such a quick burn on a swift coal (coal that needs literally a match stick to light it up) and any other advice will be much appreciated! Thank you all 😊
I have often covered the mica sheet with some thin foil which I found increased the burning time and kept the notes longer (with some wood)
Works for me.
 
Back
Top