Ancient indeed! From the moment I first smelled a bottle of true quality patchouly, it just immediately evoked some sense of primal beauty. Deep earthy ancient mossy scent that grabs you by the hypothalamus or whatever.

I didn’t get that so much when I smelled the clouds of it at grateful dead concerts I attended a few years after finding that first amazing bottle, and I’ve always (lightheartedly) resented the fact that I can’t really bust out my patchouly because mediocre patchouly is associated with a heavily drug oriented lifestyle. Inaccurately probably, but inescapably for now it seems. 🙁

Some very old patchouly takes on some really delicate ethereal qualities I don’t really know how to describe it but definitely sublime. I have this old oil that’s almost solid it’s been oxidizing for so long. I wish I knew what region it came from it has a pretty mellow scent as far as patchouly goes, very pleasant earthy kind of reminds me a very old maroke oud - it has that same kind of rich oily resin quality but of course doesn’t literally smell like oud.
I have played with the fresh leaf and they smell great , I have mixed the leaf with other mints in the pot , fermentation of the leaf is next if I can ever grow enough
 
I have grown patchouli here in Ireland , have to bring a rooted cutting inside for the winter but grows vigorously outdoors in the summer if given a warm position and rich soil. The fresh leaf is wonderful in a batty place in the mountains gets super cold at night clear into June !!! I keep getting caught with my plants out early or late and they are super frost sensitive
 
Ancient indeed! From the moment I first smelled a bottle of true quality patchouly, it just immediately evoked some sense of primal beauty. Deep earthy ancient mossy scent that grabs you by the hypothalamus or whatever.

I didn’t get that so much when I smelled the clouds of it at grateful dead concerts I attended a few years after finding that first amazing bottle, and I’ve always (lightheartedly) resented the fact that I can’t really bust out my patchouly because mediocre patchouly is associated with a heavily drug oriented lifestyle. Inaccurately probably, but inescapably for now it seems. 🙁

Some very old patchouly takes on some really delicate ethereal qualities I don’t really know how to describe it but definitely sublime. I have this old oil that’s almost solid it’s been oxidizing for so long. I wish I knew what region it came from it has a pretty mellow scent as far as patchouly goes, very pleasant earthy kind of reminds me a very old maroke oud - it has that same kind of rich oily resin quality but of course doesn’t literally smell like oud.
This patchouli was distilled over 40 years ago...it is so viscose....nothing like the newer distillation... I have to coax it off the glass swipe....on its own very fragrant.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_20211210_150251~2.webp
    74.7 KB · Views: 96
Cultivated purple kyara.
Smooth texture, sweet. quite one-dimensional but pleasant enough.
Does this vendor’s different” color” of cultivated Kinam actually smell different from other “colors” ? I have yellow and green , mother tree and clone but they all smell the same basically. Some have more oil inside the wood so different intensity but same smell basically
My Wild Kinam smells different with each region and each type , very diverse
 
@EJayB Yes. but the difference is quite minute and you need to observe carefully to see them. once the high-volatile molecules evaporate, they do smell the same as you said. I suspect having very narrow biodiversity in the farm is causing this flat, almost identical-smelling woods.

here's an interesting explanation about this subject.
What is Wild Tea? by Mei Leaf (00:00 ~ 10:50)
I'm no expert by all means but I think what this guy says is also applies to agarwood as well.
after all, oud is formed by the tree's defense mechanism, isn't it?
 
A new thread?)
Burn of Yesterday?
Iv been using the perforated stick burner pictured. The afterglow from it is spectacular. It’s filling the room with the scent of agarwood smoke condensate. Iv been burning some very special sticks in it. Imagine a smoker came in and stubbed out a fat kyara cigar View attachment 20309
The one I had got charred up top due and sticky to all the smoke and burning. I just use the cotton nowadays.
 
What’s
Some white cultivated kinam. Impressed & worried!
What’s the difference in scent from other types of cultivated Kinam? I have tried a lot of cultivated Kinam and always directly from the farm , I have seen different levels of infection and slight differences in performance but it’s all pretty much the same. I think once the wood leaves the farm the vendors start up the marketing machine to boost sales. It’s a tough sale with out embellishments as it’s really just a price difference between the stories. Cultivated Kinam grows at a rate much faster then traditional AGARWOOD and as such is worth much less in my opinion.
I love heating cultivated Kinam but don’t buy into the color hype as unlike wild Kinam the cultivated all smells the same to me
 
Last edited:
Back
Top