was a really good session 😀
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Agreed - that was a satisfying picture and made me want to do a session. I appreciate the relatively fine grain of the granules there - an ideal texture for subitism heating.

I’ve been experimenting with shavings, chips, splinters and granules for heating ejayb’s cultivated kinam. I am leaning towards the granules
 
mixed resins that I tinctured together and evaporated the alcohol
1) 60% sinking 100yr old Malacca Malaysian resin I extracted 5months ago.
2) 10% sinking wild black kinam resin
3) 30% sinking Vietnamese redsoil resin
insane top notes kodo followed by a mid heat for 15mins at the moment.

It is beyond comprehension how every time I heat this resin I realize different aroma as time progresses. and how each resins heat sweet spot takes over as the temps play
 
@iori
So do you place fine dust particles of Oudh on your burn or do you use small chips?
I wonder if there is "best results" way for heating and getting the most out of my limited Oudh collection?
honestly i use both on electric burner, most of pieces i don't wanna break i only use shaves or powder, lesser quality mostly chips on charcoal or electric.
but from testing, some woods shine on low while being on powder/shaving others need mid/high for better notes, and some do well on both
 
honestly i use both on electric burner, most of pieces i don't wanna break i only use shaves or powder, lesser quality mostly chips on charcoal or electric.
but from testing, some woods shine on low while being on powder/shaving others need mid/high for better notes, and some do well on both
One other question brother....which burns hottest...a sub or coals and is there a better one to use for woods......coals or sub?
Thanks....:praying:
 
Coals are much higher temperature generally. Subitism can be adjusted from low to high temp.

I greatly prefer sub for woods for general appreciation due to consistent temp and heating, lack of a time limit, and less mess.

Coals are better for burning larger chunks (not something I do) and fumigating larger spaces. Temperature can be controlled by burying the coal in uncompacted clean ash and covering with mica sheets or similar but it can be challenging to keep a consistent burn going with coals for heat.
 
Anyone here using the stamp / trail method for burning?

It’s something that came up a lot years ago on the forums but I haven’t seen anyone mention in a while.

An impression is made in a clean bed of ash and then filled with incense powder. Generally the impression is in the form of a trail, at times convoluted somewhat like a labyrinth. The powder at one end is lit and the combustion proceeds along the length of the path. Different herbs roots resin or powdered mixtures can be sprinkled along the path and as the burn proceeds these are heated and burned. You can actually do some fun things like sprinkle sandalwood on the first half of the path then a little pinch of Borneo camphor in the middle say, and then aloeswood on the last half, followed by a pinch of frankincense at the very end.

You can orchestrate the change in fragrance over time this way.
 
1653839443208.jpeg



The kit pictured here is the opposite of the one I have. This one makes a raised trail on the surface.

I have one that makes a wider trough which is filled with power level to the top of the ash - convenient for placing bits of wood or resin
 
Anyone here using the stamp / trail method for burning?

It’s something that came up a lot years ago on the forums but I haven’t seen anyone mention in a while.

An impression is made in a clean bed of ash and then filled with incense powder. Generally the impression is in the form of a trail, at times convoluted somewhat like a labyrinth. The powder at one end is lit and the combustion proceeds along the length of the path. Different herbs roots resin or powdered mixtures can be sprinkled along the path and as the burn proceeds these are heated and burned. You can actually do some fun things like sprinkle sandalwood on the first half of the path then a little pinch of Borneo camphor in the middle say, and then aloeswood on the last half, followed by a pinch of frankincense at the very end.

You can orchestrate the change in fragrance over time this way.
I dropped over to @hedycent a while back and he burned in a long line...I think it was Sandalwood.....it was nice but not sure I would do it often as a decent amount of work in the preparedness stage....
 
Anyone here using the stamp / trail method for burning?

It’s something that came up a lot years ago on the forums but I haven’t seen anyone mention in a while.

An impression is made in a clean bed of ash and then filled with incense powder. Generally the impression is in the form of a trail, at times convoluted somewhat like a labyrinth. The powder at one end is lit and the combustion proceeds along the length of the path. Different herbs roots resin or powdered mixtures can be sprinkled along the path and as the burn proceeds these are heated and burned. You can actually do some fun things like sprinkle sandalwood on the first half of the path then a little pinch of Borneo camphor in the middle say, and then aloeswood on the last half, followed by a pinch of frankincense at the very end.

You can orchestrate the change in fragrance over time this way.
Kangiiten released some things for this method of fumigation. It does require a combustible material to be used with powdered aromatics. To me, that would the main challenge 😅
 
Back
Top