I use either mako powder or sandalwood powder, blended with other powdered herbs, etc.

There are some very simple stamps that just take a moment to set up but produce a fair amount of smoke and combustion notes so you have to know what you’re doing if it’s going to smell good. Since I don’t know what I’m doing it is sometimes a bit of a crapshoot rather my incense trails smell good or not. Obviously a trail of purifying sandal wood powder is going to be a treat if you have the space to accommodate the smoke.

I would only burn this way if I had the house open like doing spring cleaning or such activity
 
The ultimate subitism, aka making the best of a crappy cooktop.

I was also boiling an artichoke on the same stove top in the combined steam from the pot with the artichoke and smoke from the incense produced a really rich fragrance. This reminds me of how important humidity is in all faction. It had kind of a striking effect on the impression of the frankincense and worth a try if you’ve got nothing better to do.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    D1CC320E-0912-4D35-901F-026A49BE22C3.webp
    124.4 KB · Views: 70
Anyone here using the stamp / trail method for burning?

It’s something that came up a lot years ago on the forums but I haven’t seen anyone mention in a while.

An impression is made in a clean bed of ash and then filled with incense powder. Generally the impression is in the form of a trail, at times convoluted somewhat like a labyrinth. The powder at one end is lit and the combustion proceeds along the length of the path. Different herbs roots resin or powdered mixtures can be sprinkled along the path and as the burn proceeds these are heated and burned. You can actually do some fun things like sprinkle sandalwood on the first half of the path then a little pinch of Borneo camphor in the middle say, and then aloeswood on the last half, followed by a pinch of frankincense at the very end.

You can orchestrate the change in fragrance over time this way.
I do make a trail from time to time. just not that often.
it's quite hard to make a clean matte of ash and a trail as you often see from photos and videos.
every trying several times, I find it to add too much of unnecessary hassles to enjoying the aromatics.

traditional practices have their own reasoning and places for them but this trail method is mostly for the aesthetics and to measure time, I think.
 
Is this at lower temperature?
 
I am burning a resin I recently bought from @language scent
I am not sure of the composition of this but it is giving off the most beautiful fruity, candy floss type scents @ 15v on the sub..
If I drop the temp to 10v the scent almost immediately changes to a spicy cinnamon and clove scent.
This is burning really well and very enjoyable at that to....
 
I am burning a resin I recently bought from @language scent
I am not sure of the composition of this but it is giving off the most beautiful fruity, candy floss type scents @ 15v on the sub..
If I drop the temp to 10v the scent almost immediately changes to a spicy cinnamon and clove scent.
This is burning really well and very enjoyable at that to....
I am almost sure you heated the kalimantan! I get candy from the sandalwood also! I am happy to hear this because some people were not happy with the extractions they did and I am very happy with the ones I made along with others I have shared these with. The resins are pure, except for the one that was in liquid form that had the labdanum in it. If you let it evaporate and heat the left behind resin you will love that one also. I will probably extract the alcohol from it within this week. Excited to see how it does on heat!
 
Last edited:
Shoyeido Mini Agarwood Chips

These tiny pieces were actually made for Shoyeido’s Kodutu battery operated burner,
and rightfully so, because they’re quite aromatic.
very nice! https://shop.shoyeido.co.jp/shop/g/g316001/ Some months ago I remember there being yellow labelled ones, purple and brown. Different regions. Then When I was ready to order they sold out so I bought a bunch of red label ones
 
I am almost sure you heated the kalimantan! I get candy from the sandalwood also! I am happy to hear this because some people were not happy with the extractions they did and I am very happy with the ones I made along with others I have shared these with. The resins are pure, except for the one that was in liquid form that had the labdanum in it. If you let it evaporate and heat the left behind resin you will love that one also. I will probably extract the alcohol from it within this week. Excited to see how it does on heat!
Well the resin was solid enough that I just stuck in a clean piece of wood and got a small dollop onto the mica plate....I became more liquid once the heat got into it but it gave off a beautiful mixture of notes for at least two hours or more on heat around 11v on the sub......
I lifted the heat to about 18v towards the end to get the last burn.......but very impressed with this beauty....... @language scent ......👍
 
The ultimate subitism, aka making the best of a crappy cooktop.

I was also boiling an artichoke on the same stove top in the combined steam from the pot with the artichoke and smoke from the incense produced a really rich fragrance. This reminds me of how important humidity is in all faction. It had kind of a striking effect on the impression of the frankincense and worth a try if you’ve got nothing better to do.
We will have to ask @EJayB to distill some artichokes on his next run.......😇
 
Well the resin was solid enough that I just stuck in a clean piece of wood and got a small dollop onto the mica plate....I became more liquid once the heat got into it but it gave off a beautiful mixture of notes for at least two hours or more on heat around 11v on the sub......
I lifted the heat to about 18v towards the end to get the last burn.......but very impressed with this beauty....... @language scent ......👍
So then it must have been the Kalimantan or tha Jayapuru.
 
very nice! https://shop.shoyeido.co.jp/shop/g/g316001/ Some months ago I remember there being yellow labelled ones, purple and brown. Different regions. Then When I was ready to order they sold out so I bought a bunch of red label ones
At one point there were a bunch more than just purple and brown, like about 9 varieties, but the price per gram made me shy away. Now that I think of it, I should’ve tried one of each.
 
Last edited:
At one point there were a bunch more than just purple and brown, like about 9 varieties, but the price per gram made me shy away. Now that I think of it, I should’ve tried one of each.
yes, there was at least 5 different kinds nd I believe the most expensive one was orange. The red is very nice so I can only imagine the beauty in the other ones as well. I keep checking weekly to see if they return.
 
yes, there was at least 5 different kinds nd I believe the most expensive one was orange. The red is very nice so I can only imagine the beauty in the other ones as well. I keep checking weekly to see if they return.
What was the difference between them besides the price?
 
Back
Top