Maunamoku old farm Vietnamese cooking on the tea light burner - wonderful clean sweet aroma that reminds me i am still not as clear on my wood as I'd like to be - I can't tell whether this is crassna or sinensis, I assume the former. With the oils I can always tell the difference but the woods confuse me a bit.

Anyway this is lovely wood, and was very very reasonable. Highly recommended
 
Last edited:
150 year old Vietnamese Rakoku from brother kos.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

This is my second piece, I still have two broken pieces of the first 0.52g I got, but using the new one now. I think I scraped off around 0.1g and killed it within 1 session, which is just about 60mins, I was playing with temps of around 100-220c (220c is when I finally killed it and it was charred but I put it into my dish that I put cooked woods on so that I can eventually truly kill it on coal when I get more coal since the dish has enough to sprinkle some powder onto the very ashy, warm but not hot coal to squeeze more out of the woods).

I realised half way through that cupping the kinam heater like I do with Fusen or Wild Kyara or CK and with those woods (and maybe the Vietnamese heartwood, havent tried it on the kinam heater yet) and it is perfect to cup the kinam heater like a Kodo cup, especially with Kyara, but for some reason this wood is better with wafting the vapour (non - visible and visible when you go higher in temp) into your face, you get more and stronger notes this way with this Vietnamese top shelf Rakoku. Really peculiar, can anyone explain to me why this may be the case?

Anyway the notes I got were (not in 100% order): Sweet, resinous agarwood, with a vanillic creamy note, some nice and soft muskiness intertwining with everything else, milky, very floral, forest notes with greenery bitter notes, that gets more and more bitter as you burn the wood and go up and down temps (it as very bitter, almost charred-like woody and forest greenery notes but pleasing at 220c), green herbal notes with a red berry sweet/sour note attached to the herb. Sour fruitiness with sweet fruits as well, and some combination of the two. Spicy, hotness, with semi-sweet, bitter, earthy notes. Salty, oceanic-like notes with a hint of ambergris and some salted caramel.

Notes aren't in complete order, just wrote the notes down that I got because there wasn't an exact order they came in, I dont think any wood comes in exact orders of notes really, they all dance around from one to another seemingly randomly, in my experience anyway. Wild Kyara is also kinda like this but WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY more orderly than agarwood IMO and limited experience. Lovely, long sesh!!! 🙂.
 
Maunamoku old farm Vietnamese cooking on the tea light burner - wonderful clean sweet aroma that reminds me i am still not as clear on my wood as I'd like to be - I can't tell whether this is crassna or sinensis, I assume the former. With the oils I can always tell the difference but the woods confuse me a bit.

Anyway this is lovely wood, and was very very reasonable. Highly recommended
Yeah, woods have a bigger learning curve, especially top end woods. And then the added confusion that sinensis and crassna share quite a similar profile, but ofc not identical. Dreams of Ancient Palace (which, although couldnt give me the ingredients list, confirmed it was an aloeswood stick) is most likely A. Sinensis as it was from a recipe from the Tang Dynasty in China.
 
Basement fumigation day 2. Finally found my stash of hojari, so i am doing a heavy sacra burn today down here to follow up on yesterday's. Finally drying out a bit - not having to empty the dehumidifier as much now. This batch of sacra was from puresacra.com (same biz as pureoudh.com). It's quality frank it seems but when it arrived it smelled like it had been stored for a prolonged period in a small enclosed space with synthetic fragrances, because it stank like aftershave for about a month. I will not purchase from that source again because the same was true the previous batch I bought from them.

View attachment 40565
I have noticed a similar thing with many of the woods I have bought from multiple sellers. The wood and resins always smell like whatever cologne, perfume, or synthetic fragrance they wear or have in their space. Even the packaging inside the box will have this smell.

I have brought this thing up to multiple sellers and none of them are even able to perceive that the items have this kind of aroma put onto them. Which illustrates that they are probably quite noseblind to it. Subsequently I stopped buying anything from any of these sellers and I will say, all of the sellers share a similar cultural background, which I think is probably a causative factor at play here.

not really a big deal, but still annoying when you spend good money on wood only for the room temp aroma to be synthetic fragrance and then the low temp aroma when you heat it to also be that synthetic fragrance. basically makes low temp listening impossible and thus the purchase sub-par.

Im glad im not the only one who noticed this.
 
I've been traveling a lot lately, aso once I get back to home I went like a maniac over my wood lol

- Toc Bong
sweet candy cotton like, would consider the smell white in color if that makes sense, nose tingling, for sure has some kinamic qualities.

- Managa
flowers and well balanced, slightly mentholic and woody earthy tone to it.

- Shoyeido Kyara nx
loud and beautiful, like an attar with amber and musky aroma.

- Black Kyara
Shimmering and pulsating, when I got a whiff of the vanilla and powdery notes I feel dizzy.

- Purple Kyara
very balanced and playful, uplifting and happy, orchids, violets and high toned singing.

- Manaban
this is a sweet and yellow colored scent, more of yellow floral and candy like sweetness.

after all of that I kept sniffing the wood containing vials to wrap the mega session lol
 
I have noticed a similar thing with many of the woods I have bought from multiple sellers. The wood and resins always smell like whatever cologne, perfume, or synthetic fragrance they wear or have in their space. Even the packaging inside the box will have this smell.

I have brought this thing up to multiple sellers and none of them are even able to perceive that the items have this kind of aroma put onto them. Which illustrates that they are probably quite noseblind to it. Subsequently I stopped buying anything from any of these sellers and I will say, all of the sellers share a similar cultural background, which I think is probably a causative factor at play here.

not really a big deal, but still annoying when you spend good money on wood only for the room temp aroma to be synthetic fragrance and then the low temp aroma when you heat it to also be that synthetic fragrance. basically makes low temp listening impossible and thus the purchase sub-par.

Im glad im not the only one who noticed this.
I have noticed a similar thing with many of the woods I have bought from multiple sellers. The wood and resins always smell like whatever cologne, perfume, or synthetic fragrance they wear or have in their space. Even the packaging inside the box will have this smell.

I have brought this thing up to multiple sellers and none of them are even able to perceive that the items have this kind of aroma put onto them. Which illustrates that they are probably quite noseblind to it. Subsequently I stopped buying anything from any of these sellers and I will say, all of the sellers share a similar cultural background, which I think is probably a causative factor at play here.

not really a big deal, but still annoying when you spend good money on wood only for the room temp aroma to be synthetic fragrance and then the low temp aroma when you heat it to also be that synthetic fragrance. basically makes low temp listening impossible and thus the purchase sub-par.

Im glad im not the only one who noticed this.

I have not followed up like you have, I imagine a situation like this happens when there's a single store room we're a variety of different materials of different fragrance intensities are being stored together, and bulk items are stored in plastic bags or some air permeable equivalent and not in glass jars with metal lids for example.

As you know if you walk into that room breathe the air for a short while, pick up a bag of frankincense and open it up, you're not gonna notice any taint that the resin has acquired, and if you spend a lot of time in that room each day you'll eventually become blind to the strong odor. Anyway here's to storing things susceptible materials away from highly diffusive ones and keeping things in diffusion proof containers.

One thing I have noticed is that when I am with friends who are not fragrance enthusiasts, they will notice what I'm wearing from a distance, even if it's a small amount of something that I assumed could not be more than a skin scent. I'm super conservative in my application of oud - often carrying a bottle of something I love diluted to a few percent in alcohol. the goal being to conserve stock, maintain my own sensitivity and also not overwhelm others. These events always remind me though that I also have lost all perspective on fragrance on a certain level.

I'm not surprised to hear that folks who collect powerhouse fragrances have difficulty understanding their impact and ability to permeate containers and "stain" things aromatically.
 
Happiness is a package of woods from Mesoud today!! I reordered the sinking Pontianak chips, for the 3rd or 4th time, a very personel favorite of mine. Incredibly grateful for these heavenly affordable woods. I actually have a good quantity of of excellent Pontianak chips from 2 other sources but these are even more potent.

And if that weren't enough, an entire suite of new woods Mesoud is getting in, for sale soon.
 
AA CK chunks from Yuzhi, they tend to smell a little like burnt wood, so i tried adding some sandalwood oil drops on top of it to enhance the scent, but stupid me forgot that Eden Botanicals' bottles dont have a dropper top, so i poured almost 3/4 of the 5ml bottle on top of the oud and coals which exploded into a thick ball of creamy sandalwood vapor filling my lungs and entire house.
I have to admit the Australian sandalwood from Eden smells better on coal than it does right out of the bottle or swiped.
 
AA CK chunks from Yuzhi, they tend to smell a little like burnt wood, so i tried adding some sandalwood oil drops on top of it to enhance the scent, but stupid me forgot that Eden Botanicals' bottles dont have a dropper top, so i poured almost 3/4 of the 5ml bottle on top of the oud and coals which exploded into a thick ball of creamy sandalwood vapor filling my lungs and entire house.
I have to admit the Australian sandalwood from Eden smells better on coal than it does right out of the bottle or swiped.
Forgive me if you know this already - here is some thing I figured out about cultivated kinam.

Since cultivated kinam is a very high oil content material with soft resin, the oil/resin is liquified and boils off completely, unlike some wood that oozes heavy tar like resin for example. Because of that it's best to not combust the CK woods but instead start by heating them gently and then gradually bring them up to a point just before combustion if you like darker notes. This can be done by placing a sheet of mica over a coal or using low temp settings on a variable temp electric heater.

Combusting heavy resin smells great, but (again) higher temp with CK means the soft resin and oil mostly boils off before it combusts so the only thing combusting is the wood fiber left behind. A long low temperature burn of CK gradually vaporizes the aromatics, potentially over very long time periods (many many hours of scenting a space from a single chip).

You can get some of the heavier burn profile (shorter duration, more robust phenolic notes) by heating it just to the edge of combustion without causing any embers. I use a mesh insert on a tea light burner to achieve this very reliably.

I have never enjoyed straight up combusted ck myself


IMG_9733.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Forgive me if you know this already - here is some thing I figured out about cultivated kinam.

Since cultivated kinam is a very high oil content material with soft resin, the oil/resin is liquified and boils off completely, unlike some wood that oozes heavy tar like resin for example. Because of that it's best to not combust the CK woods but instead start by heating them gently and then gradually bring them up to a point just before combustion if you like darker notes. This can be done by placing a sheet of mica over a coal or using low temp settings on a variable temp electric heater.

Combusting heavy resin smells great, but (again) higher temp with CK means the soft resin and oil mostly boils off before it combusts so the only thing combusting is the wood fiber left behind. A long low temperature burn of CK gradually vaporizes the aromatics, potentially over very long time periods (many many hours of scenting a space from a single chip).

You can get some of the heavier burn profile (shorter duration, more robust phenolic notes) by heating it just to the edge of combustion without causing any embers. I use a mesh insert on a tea light burner to achieve this very reliably.

I have never enjoyed straight up combusted ck myself


View attachment 40742
Thanks, i do heat my CK on an electric heater almost always, but the chunks from Yuzhi have little resin/oil content and theyre pretty big, i like to use them to fumigate rooms on a coal burner. The issue is that i accedentally poured 3ml of sandalwood oil on top of the coals lol.
With the higher resin CK he calls "chips" or "AAA Chips" i only warm them on the heater at low tempertures, and only slivers at a time.
 
Maunamoku vietnamese ant nest! Sweet sugar cookies, balsamic sweetness, roasted coffee (need to drop the temp a little bit I think), very calming and centering aroma. I love the fact that I have a variety of woods of this general profile to enjoy these days.
IMG_9734.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Maunamoku Nha Trang Char

Vietnamese oud flavored pancake syrup
with frosty candy florals.


Then some mesOUD Pursat

Nice piece full of nutty notes,
I looooooove nutty notes.
I am ordering 5g of that pursat!
 
Plum Blossoms in the Wind - Kyara from brother kos.

A lot of it put on the heater at 100c you can smell it at 120-140c potent but sweet spot FOR ME is 160-180c.

Sweet creamy vanilla, sweet powdery florals, a little undertone of bitterness, very spicy, a bit minty mixed with the spice, golden honey resin, sour fruits and sweet fruits, most red some purple, sweet/spicy/bitter with an earthy kind of note, very gourmand almost like a cream baked good with fruits, and some caramel notes, milk chocolate and dark, almost chocolate from the earthy notes, sweet but mainly dark and a little undertone of bitter. Oceanic-like salty notes, with oceanic and natural wind breezes carrying the aroma in the wind.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top