Yesterday a bit of malinau I got from Wardlab. Rich and minty, cocoa and mushroomy... unbelievably nice long lasting bittersweet tail that kept kicking as long as i kept the candle lit.

Tonight i am heating some Bao Tou Hainan sinensis, but not the recent batch from kangiiten- this one comes from wardlab as well. Taking a bit of heat to get this fuming, having trouble finding the sweet spot. This seems less oily than ck, and is more of a hot type sinensis than a sweet type if that makes sense. I recall Baieido described some of their vietnamese oud as "hot" and some as "sweet" and wonder if my experience here is related. Plenty of sweet vanillin and confectionery notes in the second stage of this wood but it felt somehow dry in the opening.


View attachment 40466View attachment 40467
Nice piece. Talking about my interest in pharmacology and chemistry, vanillin is a cool molecule, it has a structure similar to phenethylamines (amphetamines come from this family). And so does cinnamaldehyde, even more so than Vanillin, looks like a straight up dopamine agonist, wouldn't be surprising if cinnamon with high percentages of this compound in it would be somewhat psychoactive. It also repairs DNA.

​

 
Kangiiten - Brunei K I haven't had much love from my small bottle of chips of this wood. They seem to be incredibly variable (as opposed to others). Every so often I see someone having a burn with these and it sounds great yet it never has been for me. I'll either get zero or it'll be an eye-watering sharp cherry note which I'm not really into so I haven't reached for it for a while. Well, I can report I've hit jackpot with the piece I know have on my ceramic. A slow climb up to 180C I was getting soft flowery notes, about 165 and up the sour cherry slides in and this time it's very pleasant, confectionary. I'll leave it there and start tomorrow at 180. I have a good feeling this chip will go for a solid week. Yay!!
 
do you use charcoal or subitism?
I use the Shoyeido Kodachi.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Was going through my pictures on my phone to delete unwanted pictures and found this gem old stock kyara from yamadamatsu. So I decided to heat some. I almost cried upon smelling it. Off the bat a strong golden creamy powdery violet flower drenched in honey, a cooling leeche/rose note that is so so loved by me…it is the most perfect sweet/bitter kyara and it also shows a frankincense kind of note softly and also a pear with a kind of gorgeous clove/eggnog kinda thing that is so complex and the cherry on top of the whole backbone! 10/10 kyara

I wish I had a whole chunk 1.2-1.5 grams of this gem. the magic is there regardless but i always wish for a united chunk of magic rather than bits and pieces. regardless, i am very lucky and grateful to have it
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    F357FD48-3BE1-485F-B23B-0ADA1A725E3D.webp
    93.5 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Tea Guru Old Stock Mysore Sandalwood. Had a good 30+ mins with it on and off. Temps from 80-200c, just playing around with sandalwood chips as I never really do, I have quite a good amount of sandalwood chips that I just never use, so I decided to chop a Mysore piece up and see what this Mysore gives me... I was surprised, to say the least.

I always thought sandalwood was just, creamy, milky, sweet, woody, gourmand, slightly animalic urine-like notes, this session confused the hell out of me now about the actual profile of Mysore.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


Soft, sweet woodiness, semi to fully sweet forest greenery notes with a pine tree/resin freshness, dry wood, eucalyptus-like mintiness with frankincense-like notes with citrus fruits and the eucalyptus as I already mentioned like you get with nice sacra. Earthy, fresh grass notes with a slight urinal animalic note, some warm milk with vanillic notes and creamy tones, some strong spiciness, cinnamon, then when moved to higher temps I get more of these notes but some more creaminess and before stopping I was entering a kind of buttery note, "phase". I was also getting some, what I can only call, "resinous notes", it was strange but also very pleasant burn.

I am just not used to sandalwood smelling like this lol.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


There was more that was bamboozling me but I cant think of the rest, it was interesting... has anyone else here had these kind of notes with heating raw Mysore sandalwood? And the creamy/buttery/milky gourmand like notes that you smell in oils are kind of in the background and dont show themselves till later, and/or, vice-versa? I would like some input, if possible. Also this was with cupping the KINAM heater as if I was heating kinam or aloeswood, when I put the heater down and started wafting so that the scented vapour (sometimes visible but most of the time not) I got those creamy, buttery gourmand notes but that's it, it seems like the cupping style reveals maybe more notes?
 
IMG_9662.jpeg
The remnants of a Mesoud order that FedEx finally delivered weeks after determining it was lost. When this arrived long after the replacement that Mesoud kindly sent I thought I had lucked out until I opened it.
Anyway, not pictured here is one of the Smart Oud incense blocks that was included and managed to survive and soak up a lot of the oil that was in these bottles. Meleka, Tarakan Qadeem, Sarawak Ateek, Lombok and 1ml of Mysore. It was hard to light and way too much once I managed to get it to burn. Broke off a piece and put it on my cheapy Blue Lotus heater and wow. Still way too much but in a much more pleasant way. Really the Mysore is the main note layered over the original Smart Oud smell, but it does pick up bits of the dryer notes from the assembled ouds. I had it at around 250 degrees for less than a minute and it was enough to perfume my living room even with the windows open. I doubt anyone would want to repeat this but overall a happy accident.
 
View attachment 40538The remnants of a Mesoud order that FedEx finally delivered weeks after determining it was lost. When this arrived long after the replacement that Mesoud kindly sent I thought I had lucked out until I opened it.
Anyway, not pictured here is one of the Smart Oud incense blocks that was included and managed to survive and soak up a lot of the oil that was in these bottles. Meleka, Tarakan Qadeem, Sarawak Ateek, Lombok and 1ml of Mysore. It was hard to light and way too much once I managed to get it to burn. Broke off a piece and put it on my cheapy Blue Lotus heater and wow. Still way too much but in a much more pleasant way. Really the Mysore is the main note layered over the original Smart Oud smell, but it does pick up bits of the dryer notes from the assembled ouds. I had it at around 250 degrees for less than a minute and it was enough to perfume my living room even with the windows open. I doubt anyone would want to repeat this but overall a happy accident.
My lord! What did someone stomp on your package or something?
 
View attachment 40538The remnants of a Mesoud order that FedEx finally delivered weeks after determining it was lost. When this arrived long after the replacement that Mesoud kindly sent I thought I had lucked out until I opened it.
Anyway, not pictured here is one of the Smart Oud incense blocks that was included and managed to survive and soak up a lot of the oil that was in these bottles. Meleka, Tarakan Qadeem, Sarawak Ateek, Lombok and 1ml of Mysore. It was hard to light and way too much once I managed to get it to burn. Broke off a piece and put it on my cheapy Blue Lotus heater and wow. Still way too much but in a much more pleasant way. Really the Mysore is the main note layered over the original Smart Oud smell, but it does pick up bits of the dryer notes from the assembled ouds. I had it at around 250 degrees for less than a minute and it was enough to perfume my living room even with the windows open. I doubt anyone would want to repeat this but overall a happy accident.
I am so sorry this happened to your package with these beautiful oils, Tarakan Qadeem being sold out sadly and with many people raving about it.

Like @Olfactory Nomad I'm wondering if someone stomped on your package? Or perhaps a whole pallet dropped onto it. 🙁
 
Fumigating the basement with frankincense hoping to get a nice stone and frankincense vibe going - like an old cathedral vibe (one can dream).

I'm also running a dehumidifier, adding some hanging points, and getting it ready to dry the tobacco and other plants and herbs that are due to be harvested soon.

Smells OK down there but a little damp stone and earthy so I'm hoping the frankincense kind of works well with that. I'm doing this brute force style with one of those swift-light coals and just tossing stuff on there

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Ha Tinh - Vietnamese char - Jungle Oud

Effervescent unusual lemon drop top notes on the bakhoor electric warmer. Almost a Pursat mixed with Frankincense. I rarely come across citrus-y woods. I only have a few pieces left of an Indonesian "Clementine" that I got from Saaj years ago.

​

​

 
Back
Top