Would you say it's true that within the tight range of kyara grades, it's actually the lower grades (relatively) that have the sweetest taste?
As promised this is some pictures with best grade Kyara's with sweet and other note without bitter in it, there is many but i only choose few of best ranking
Flavors for reference
  • 甘 - Sweet
  • 苦 - Bitter
  • 辛 - Spicy
  • 酸 - Sour/Acid
  • 鹹 - Salt
Yellow = Name of Kyara
Red = Classification
Blue = Ranking
Green = Notes

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


I have a tatami for top green too named by 20th head of shino school and its only "Spicy - Sweet - Salty"
 
As promised this is some pictures with best grade Kyara's with sweet and other note without bitter in it, there is many but i only choose few of best ranking
Flavors for reference
  • 甘 - Sweet
  • 苦 - Bitter
  • 辛 - Spicy
  • 酸 - Sour/Acid
  • 鹹 - Salt
Yellow = Name of Kyara
Red = Classification
Blue = Ranking
Green = Notes

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day


I have a tatami for top green too named by 20th head of shino school and its only "Spicy - Sweet - Salty"
Thank you iori, there really are so many types. That is interesting though.
I wish I could try them all. I imagine that's the only way to actually understand what they really mean by those kanji
 
Thank you iori, there really are so many types. That is interesting though.
I wish I could try them all. I imagine that's the only way to actually understand what they really mean by those kanji
If you ever visit Yamadamatsu Kyoto store you will see there is different presentations for Kyara.
Some sold under color system, some sold under ther grading system BB AA AS SS and so on..and there is special ones which comes with Head of school inspection, comes with calligraphy with name, rank, poem, notes and date it's tested and so on.
There is also some Kyara's doesn't fall under the color system in japan.
 
If you ever visit Yamadamatsu Kyoto store you will see there is different presentations for Kyara.
Some sold under color system, some sold under ther grading system BB AA AS SS and so on..and there is special ones which comes with Head of school inspection, comes with calligraphy with name, rank, poem, notes and date it's tested and so on.
There is also some Kyara's doesn't fall under the color system in japan.
I'm planning a trip next year, so hopefully I'll be able to visit. Ive had experience with kyara but not the named kinds.
Are the special named pieces generally accessible by foreigners? I speak some Japanese, which seemed to break down barriers pretty easy last time, but I know the incense houses have an even stronger protectionist attitude.
Wondering if I should send my japanese friend to do the actual purchase in my stead.
 
I'm planning a trip next year, so hopefully I'll be able to visit. Ive had experience with kyara but not the named kinds.
Are the special named pieces generally accessible by foreigners? I speak some Japanese, which seemed to break down barriers pretty easy last time, but I know the incense houses have an even stronger protectionist attitude.
Wondering if I should send my japanese friend to do the actual purchase in my stead.
I'd like to know as well.
 
I'm planning a trip next year, so hopefully I'll be able to visit. Ive had experience with kyara but not the named kinds.
Are the special named pieces generally accessible by foreigners? I speak some Japanese, which seemed to break down barriers pretty easy last time, but I know the incense houses have an even stronger protectionist attitude.
Wondering if I should send my japanese friend to do the actual purchase in my stead.
Wish you best on next trip!
Minor details but important, there is named pieces and there is famous named pieces, named ones easy to get, famous named ones harder to get.
It used to be easier but because of Chinese now its way harder to get many things especially big sizes.
Yamadamatasu, Shoyeido, Kyukyodo, Tenkundo, Kungyokudo all have named pieces and famous named ones.
Getting stuff from incense houses isn't hard or bad they would sell you Kyara, however some stuff you need to know how to ask for it and even better for special stuff have connection or have Japanese probably yield better results.
 
Wish you best on next trip!
Minor details but important, there is named pieces and there is famous named pieces, named ones easy to get, famous named ones harder to get.
It used to be easier but because of Chinese now its way harder to get many things especially big sizes.
Yamadamatasu, Shoyeido, Kyukyodo, Tenkundo, Kungyokudo all have named pieces and famous named ones.
Getting stuff from incense houses isn't hard or bad they would sell you Kyara, however some stuff you need to know how to ask for it and even better for special stuff have connection or have Japanese probably yield better results.
Thanks again! I'll make sure to have a few in mind to hunt for when I leave
 
Burning some CK from a batch of lower priced wood I got from @mesOUD. I had intended to make a resin absolute from this, but it has been smelling so good on the burner I find myself using it to scent my home. I am very surprised at the variety of scents i can get by adjusting temp, from very clean and cookie like to more complex, resinous, woody and phenolic. Amazing incense!
 
Masha Allah! some nice chunks Saud!
what about Irian oud? I hope you have some non innocent pieces in stash
Thanks brother, I don’t have any Irian oud unfortunately, if you mean gyrinops then yes I have a few pieces but they’re of lower quality than I’m used to, unfortunately the quality is dwindling rapidly in that region, it now smells like normal wood. I soaked it in a very weak musk amber tincture I made and use it on fridays to fumigate the house.
 
Sinking malinau chips.

They look very unassuming like rough chips but man does the aroma pack a serious punch. I used scissors to cut a small piece down to a rough powder and the aroma exploded.

Strong mint and the clearest strawberry note Ive ever gotten in a wood. Some kind of purple flowers and honey like sweetness.

Genuinely a bit psychoactive as well which is the first time Ive felt this from a non kyara wood but the mintiness on this is quite penetrating.

Im blown away, especially considering it was $6 a gram.
 
Back
Top