[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Big Indian chips on hot coals today
Creamy thick sweet and spicy.
 
View attachment 43073
Big Indian chips on hot coals today
Creamy thick sweet and spicy.
Now that's a proper burn! When you put a piece on of that size, wood is being heated at all kinds of different temperature simultaneously - no wonder it makes a complex and a beautiful aroma.

You know I don't believe I have any Indian wood chips. I have a couple of mystery chips but it's possible I've never burned Indian oud.

Let the stoning commence haha I need to fix this problem like 15 years ago
 
Now that's a proper burn! When you put a piece on of that size, wood is being heated at all kinds of different temperature simultaneously - no wonder it makes a complex and a beautiful aroma.

You know I don't believe I have any Indian wood chips. I have a couple of mystery chips but it's possible I've never burned Indian oud.

Let the stoning commence haha I need to fix this problem like 15 years ago
If you’ve never burnt Indian oud then you’ve never smelled oud. It’s the “default” oud for me, and the rest are variations.
Live oud chips like this from India are mainly these notes : sweet and spicy. The differences between individual batches and regions are in the other notes, most common are florals and saffron along with the sweet and spicy main scents and maybe some resinous creamy notes.

The other type called Char (that forms on top of oud stumps after a tree has been cut down) has a more cool, meditative, smooth scent, more earthy green, sometimes sweet sometimes bitter, with a little spiciness if any. You can thing of this type as the nighttime Hindi oud while the other is the daytime one.

You really have to get your hands on some Hindi oud, it’s a true classic, and even the very high grade chips are at accessible prices simply because of the huge supply, Indians have been cultivating Oud trees for a long time and nearly perfected it. You won’t be disappointed
 
If you’ve never burnt Indian oud then you’ve never smelled oud. It’s the “default” oud for me, and the rest are variations.
Live oud chips like this from India are mainly these notes : sweet and spicy. The differences between individual batches and regions are in the other notes, most common are florals and saffron along with the sweet and spicy main scents and maybe some resinous creamy notes.

The other type called Char (that forms on top of oud stumps after a tree has been cut down) has a more cool, meditative, smooth scent, more earthy green, sometimes sweet sometimes bitter, with a little spiciness if any. You can thing of this type as the nighttime Hindi oud while the other is the daytime one.

You really have to get your hands on some Hindi oud, it’s a true classic, and even the very high grade chips are at accessible prices simply because of the huge supply, Indians have been cultivating Oud trees for a long time and nearly perfected it. You won’t be disappointed
I don't have quite the same affinity for the Hindi/Assam profile that many do when it comes to the oils, but in my mind it is kind of the definition of oud (it is the Aquilaria agallocha after all) and I would like to have a good quality specimen on hand for reference. I may have some - I need to dig through my collection of tiny little samples.

I am a little embarrassed to reveal my ignorance here but I think one of the Baieido rikkoku woods may be indian in origin (?) in which case I may will have smelled the wood.

Compared to many here I just don't burn that much oud and I have not applied myself to the study of the wood in a rigorous way. It's actually exciting because it's like a big gift i get to unwrap someday. 🙂 🙂 🙂

My (ex) wife was never really crazy about the smell of burning oud and I have a problem with hypersensitivity to a fecal note that is left as a residue after burning most types of aloeswood (and I have good quality stuff).
 
I don't have quite the same affinity for the Hindi/Assam profile that many do when it comes to the oils, but in my mind it is kind of the definition of oud (it is the Aquilaria agallocha after all) and I would like to have a good quality specimen on hand for reference. I may have some - I need to dig through my collection of tiny little samples.

I am a little embarrassed to reveal my ignorance here but I think one of the Baieido rikkoku woods may be indian in origin (?) in which case I may will have smelled the wood.

Compared to many here I just don't burn that much oud and I have not applied myself to the study of the wood in a rigorous way. It's actually exciting because it's like a big gift i get to unwrap someday. 🙂 🙂 🙂

My (ex) wife was never really crazy about the smell of burning oud and I have a problem with hypersensitivity to a fecal note that is left as a residue after burning most types of aloeswood (and I have good quality stuff).
The baieido looks like wild Indian from the color and shapes but don’t take my word on it.
It’s -like oud oils- an entire other world, it depends on the air quality, temperature and humidity around you, how hot your coals are, mica sheet or ash, how dense the piece of oud is and even its size and shape plays a role and it’s fun experimenting with it.
About the fecal note I don’t think I ever noticed it, in which oud region did you find it? With Assamese ouds there’s a faint ambergris scent that appears in the air hours after burning a chip, but I wouldn’t call it fecal.
 
The baieido looks like wild Indian from the color and shapes but don’t take my word on it.
It’s -like oud oils- an entire other world, it depends on the air quality, temperature and humidity around you, how hot your coals are, mica sheet or ash, how dense the piece of oud is and even its size and shape plays a role and it’s fun experimenting with it.
About the fecal note I don’t think I ever noticed it, in which oud region did you find it? With Assamese ouds there’s a faint ambergris scent that appears in the air hours after burning a chip, but I wouldn’t call it fecal.

Region doesn't really matter. What gets me is the smell that's stuck to the drapes and walls the next day, not the smell lingering in the air after burning. An exception is sweeter sinensis and CK - it leaves a cleaner residue that i don't mind.

I have the same issue with most labdanum oils - stuff that smells good to others smells like dung to me. I have to pick my labdanum very carefully.

And to be clear, I think the issue lies in my perception, not in the oud itself because I've confirmed multiple times that some of the things that I perceive as overly fecal are not seen that way consistently by others.
 
Last edited:
Speaking of slightly fecal oud, I am burning some splinters cut from some less resinated wood I cut away from this beautiful heartwood chunk I bought from an old TCM shop in the 90's. I believe this is a sinensis, Hong Kong origin.

This has some of that salivary / fecal tone I detect in some Hainan sinensis. Some very interesting dark bitter resinous notes, almost like ambergris resin on a subitism. I like to heat this at a higher temp because the ambergris and resin notes dominate and push back the more musky / fecal aspects. This will have a very nice sweet tail, a lot of vanillin.

If this is sinensis it is definitely NOT kinamic. The other type of sinensis.
IMG_2507.jpeg
 
First time ever heating Oud. I got the Subtism Burner + a Sample of White CK & Frankincense for a good trade. I heard about low heat like 60-70°C but to be honest, I had to hold the Burner infront of my nose to smell it and there were no „bubbles“ which I saw from others when they heated Oud. (even though I went from 60 to 250°C 😂)
To the scent:
mentholic - green tea and honey with woody notes. Cant say more, I heard CK tend to be not complex anyway, but these mentholic notes were pleasant and calming.

I still dont know if burning Oud is my type. Will try the Frankincense tomorrow… and maybe in future some other woods but priority lays on Oils right now
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_9303.webp
    370.9 KB · Views: 55
First time ever heating Oud. I got the Subtism Burner + a Sample of White CK & Frankincense for a good trade. I heard about low heat like 60-70°C but to be honest, I had to hold the Burner infront of my nose to smell it and there were no „bubbles“ which I saw from others when they heated Oud. (even though I went from 60 to 250°C 😂)
To the scent:
mentholic - green tea and honey with woody notes. Cant say more, I heard CK tend to be not complex anyway, but these mentholic notes were pleasant and calming.

I still dont know if burning Oud is my type. Will try the Frankincense tomorrow… and maybe in future some other woods but priority lays on Oils right now
I don't think that's a sub from that picture but instead is a ceramic heater. While these are very good for small resin/oil dense pieces of wood, you won't get any bubbling from a ceramic, they don't concentrate the heat source enough. A subtism will have two plates of clear mica with visable wires running between then which you can see turn red hot.
 
Last edited:
I don't think that's a sub from that picture but instead is a ceramic heater. While these are very good for small resin/oil dense pieces of wood, you won't get any bubbling from a ceramic, they concentrate the heat source enough. A subtism will have two plates of clear mica with visable wires running between then which you can see turn red hot.
Ahh I see, I have buttons for temp control I thought thats what makes it a subtism heater😅. I actually have mica plates, but the guy told me it would be better for frankincense instead of Oud.
do I have to place the Oud on the plastic-like plate (photo) to get more of the Oud?
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_9315.webp
    78.8 KB · Views: 49
I don't think that's a sub from that picture but instead is a ceramic heater. While these are very good for small resin/oil dense pieces of wood, you won't get any bubbling from a ceramic, they concentrate the heat source enough. A subtism will have two plates of clear mica with visable wires running between then which you can see turn red hot.
Ahh I see, I have buttons for temp control I thought thats what makes it a subtism heater😅. I actually have mica plates, but the guy told me it would be better for frankincense instead of Oud.
do I have to place the Oud on the plastic-like plate (photo) to get more of the Oud?
That's your mica plate. No, I'd keep your woods straight onto the ceramic base and only use the mica plate (or a small metal dish if it came with one) for your resins. Reason being your resins will melt from the heat and be a real pain to clean off afterwards. The purpose for the mica is to evenly distribute the heat that is produced and hence it will be cooler in temps that the bare ceramic.
 
Back
Top