mesOUD Pursat

I chose another very resinated piece to heat.
A flowery Pursat opening, then buckets of resin and oud.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I'm still going on this Jayapura - Kangiiten, powder session that I started a week ago. This is the thing with these wonderfully wild and resinated woods and powders. I've probably already got more than I could ever get through and when a small chip or pinch of powder lasts me a couple of weeks it's difficult to get through them all. Especially when I'm kinda obsessed with buying more. Life is tough man. Lol. I'm noticing with this powder when it starts on the low temp and starts climbing I'm noticing what I believe is the salivary note that @Mr.P often mentions. It doesn't last long and it's only at the low temps that I get it. Hard to even say whether I like it or not? I guess it doesn't matter.
 
Earlier it was Eight Milleniums (Kangiiten x KyaraZen): It is inspired by 'Tokugawa incense of the nobles' - beautiful red and purple berry type incense powder.

Now some Malaysians that I bought few years ago from a local seller. Heated them up over 2 hours on my DIY subs and still going strong. Started with astringent green and oceanic with a slightly fishy/seaweed/iondine smell. That iodine smell is one of the main reasins why I am not fan of SL ouds. Within 1-2 mins the fishy thing vanished. Then it is spicy (sweet and warm spices), balsamic, incensy and musky. In some instances it smelt like some Tawi Tawi (sans the iodine). Amazing value considering how much I paid for them.
 
Last edited:
Fuji Smoke - 61kinds Wild Kyara. 30min session at 120/140c (probably around 100-130c on average, changed temp once, give or take heater accuracy).

Beautiful wood that I am nearly running out of so I am doing small sessions (max 30mins).

Sweet/sour creamy vanillic, musky notes, with sweet and sour tropical fruity notes and some (sour) cherry, a bit tarty, lovely indolic jasmine-like florals, fresh powderiness and powdery florals, honey, some green mintiness and different types of spices, yellow sunshine type feelings... uplifting and joyful, reminding me of a blue sky on a summers day with rays of yellow sunshine coming down on a field of jasmine and yellow sunflowers, smooth silky milk chocolate, (pleasant) curdy-like cheesecake, fresh airiness and near the end some resinous, elegant, almost super rich aloeswood-like notes (not surprising as kyara is technically, a form of aloeswood 🤣).

Overall, getting back into smelling some kyara, I definitely smell Fuji Smoke slightly differently now, but I have noticed in my journey with Wild Kyara (and even cultivated), that notes in the wood can change day to day, week to week.

Excellent wood... more to be discovered.

Main tastes I noticed were, sweet, sour and spicy.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Sinking Silani - Kymya.

True sinking grade Walla Patta. The pieces of wood are so highly resinated, they appear almost fully black.
Although they are attractive to look at, they smell even better which is the true test!

Off the top, a bright blue-green oceanic-petrichor mineral aroma, so vibrant & joyful. Sri Lankan Oud possesses no mysterious austerity like Malaysian woods for example, it’s innocently beautiful, the most pretty Oud profile in my opinion.
The oceanic top notes transition into a white floral, nutty, ambergrisy mid. Slightly green & sunny. Slowly a rounded, honeyed, tropical sweetness begins to emerge, before it resolves into a highly resinous Oudy vanillic-tonka-suede aroma. Perfection!

This is only the second batch of Walla Patta I’ve collected, but I might as well just stop here, as I can’t imagine it gets any better than this! Expensive wood, yet I’d rather buy small amounts 5-10g of high grade examples rather than larger batches of medium grade stuff. I only heat small pieces, at very low temps, fumigation is not something I’m interested in right now.
 
Back
Top