Oh, I'm only burning a chip, the size of a fingernail, on a mica plate which is placed directly on the ceramic heating element. I've tried a silver tray too.

Maybe try slicing off some of the more resin heavy bits if you can? I often have better luck with powder, particularly when doing mon koh style. Throw it all in a grinder and turn it into a nice powder. That way the oil and resin will be spread evenly (more or less) throughout the powder, then start on a low temp until you find the sweet spot. Or it could just be crappy wood. I think those types of chips though might be better on coal.
That's what I was afraid of. I hate using coal.
 
That's what I was afraid of. I hate using coal.
I learnt early on that nothing can be wasted. If it doesn't work for you one way try another. Or put it away for another day when a fresh idea pops into your head. When I first started heating CK I would throw it away once it was done but as I learnt there is still a lot of life left in these woods. I now collect spent CK and when I have enough I grind it up and roll it into incense. Lot's of things you can do.👍
 
I learnt early on that nothing can be wasted. If it doesn't work for you one way try another. Or put it away for another day when a fresh idea pops into your head. When I first started heating CK I would throw it away once it was done but as I learnt there is still a lot of life left in these woods. I now collect spent CK and when I have enough I grind it up and roll it into incense. Lot's of things you can do.👍
Thanks for the confidence but I'm better at writing instead of incense making!
 
Old Rakoku "Snow Plum blossoms"
End game piece, i really love old pieces, ther elegance and refine is just different.

Kyara "Flower Garden"
First taste you see lots of flowers, sweetness of honey, sourness good elegant wood too

Kyara "Thousands years branches"
Another example of why old stuff pieces is just hard to beat, Medicinal is just perfect not strong or weak, backed up with best sweetness you can smell but kept in hold...the other 3 flavors there but they are balanced so is hard to pick them up separately correctly, will need long study.

Nipponkodo "Manaban"
Another stellar wood, This is high end tocbong used it smell similar to lots of top White kinams as chinese mention, great oil lines and aroma off charts.
Refreshing, gentle and unique luster.
 
Still going on this dust from my piece of Kangiiten - Rakoku. Higher temps bring little pops of candy apple.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I bought some powders too, @Olfactory Nomad i hope to have better luck. Pray, tell me what level of heatcshould I use for a powder?

Thanks.

Joe
There will be a different sweet spot for each one depending on the quality of the wood. I often start to get a scent at around 60 degrees but not always. I then climb generally up by 5 degrees increments. Once you've found a nice heat you can keep that going really until the wood tells you to climb higher. Eventually it'll stop releasing scent and be tapped out but this can go on for days and often does. For super top grade sinking wood and powder I'd be going up by one degree at a time ( if your heater will allow it).
 
There will be a different sweet spot for each one depending on the quality of the wood. I often start to get a scent at around 60 degrees but not always. I then climb generally up by 5 degrees increments. Once you've found a nice heat you can keep that going really until the wood tells you to climb higher. Eventually it'll stop releasing scent and be tapped out but this can go on for days and often does. For super top grade sinking wood and powder I'd be going up by one degree at a time ( if your heater will allow it).
@Olfactory Nomad unfortunarly I have a heater that doesn't have temuptures listed on the dial. I just put a chip of the wood @Al Shareef Oudh gifted me, and lowered the heat to close to zero. Let’s smell what happens. Thanks for the advice. Joe
 
Back
Top