@Olfactory Nomad unfortunarly I have a heater that doesn't have temuptures listed on the dial. I just put a chip of the wood @Al Shareef Oudh gifted me, and lowered the heat to close to zero. Let’s smell what happens. Thanks for the advice. Joe
It can take bit of practice. And it's easy to think you're doing something wrong or the wood is crap or you've got the wrong heater etc..but, it looks like you've a decent heater and the wood from Al Shareef will also be the bomb so that just leaves you. A chip like that may prefer a high heat but that doesn't mean you can go straight for gold. Remember it's the resin inside the wood that you're trying to heat up. This is what " listening to incense" means. Warm it up slowly and see how it responds. It may take a bit but it'll get there.
 
It can take bit of practice. And it's easy to think you're doing something wrong or the wood is crap or you've got the wrong heater etc..but, it looks like you've a decent heater and the wood from Al Shareef will also be the bomb so that just leaves you. A chip like that may prefer a high heat but that doesn't mean you can go straight for gold. Remember it's the resin inside the wood that you're trying to heat up. This is what " listening to incense" means. Warm it up slowly and see how it responds. It may take a bit but it'll get there.
Thank you. ASO said to put it on low and when it no longer sings, go for med-high. That's what I'm doing now. Thank you for the excellent advise!
 
Kangiiten Pursat Select Powder

Not similar to heating slivers from a piece of Pursat Char, but I can smell the connection.

The powder requires lower heat and slower steps of increasing the temperature to reveal the entire profile. I would avoid high heat, the resulting aroma is not worth the burn.

Interesting profile that certainly needs more sessions, now that I know to focus on heating it properly.

I’ll try to list the notes next time.
 
Kangiiten Pursat Select Powder

Not similar to heating slivers from a piece of Pursat Char, but I can smell the connection.

The powder requires lower heat and slower steps of increasing the temperature to reveal the entire profile. I would avoid high heat, the resulting aroma is not worth the burn.

Interesting profile that certainly needs more sessions, now that I know to focus on heating it properly.

I’ll try to list the notes next time.
I guess you're using an electric burner like I am. And I just bought a bunch of powders. Do I Just start with three pinches of powder on low heat and when it stops releasing odor, turn up the heat to mediium high?
 
Kangiiten Pursat Select Powder

Not similar to heating slivers from a piece of Pursat Char, but I can smell the connection.

The powder requires lower heat and slower steps of increasing the temperature to reveal the entire profile. I would avoid high heat, the resulting aroma is not worth the burn.

Interesting profile that certainly needs more sessions, now that I know to focus on heating it properly.

I’ll try to list the notes next time.
Quite amazing these ones that put out on as low as 30 to 40. I have the Pursat select on it's way as well.
 
I guess you're using an electric burner like I am. And I just bought a bunch of powders. Do I Just start with three pinches of powder on low heat and when it stops releasing odor, turn up the heat to mediium high?
Essentially yes. Always start low with powder. Three pinches seems excessive. As with the heat settings start with a minimum amount you can always add more later. A 5g bottle of powder could potentially last you a lifetime. Don't expect to fumigate your room though heating wood like this. This is for quiet study and reflection.
 
I guess you're using an electric burner like I am. And I just bought a bunch of powders. Do I Just start with three pinches of powder on low heat and when it stops releasing odor, turn up the heat to mediium high?
I use the Shoyeido Kodachi, you have one also. Try one pinch first, and turn up the heat in small increments, just observe as you do, you’ll know when to start moving the heat up.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Joe
MESOUD's gold standard pursat C H A R. CHIP CHUNKS too thick to snap. My bloody finger reminds me to use a mallet next time! And from OUDDILICOUS a Borneo, whose fruit is floral. A perfect vibe with the evening round of insects and their chorus that slowly recedes before silence and sleep.

*Special mention YUSA's Old Nha Trang. A legend of powder in my mind. Even though as a personal preference I don't ever reach for powder. White musk and baby powder perfumes even attars that contain those notes have turned me off for a lifetime. I have imprinted a distain for it. Almost a retch reflex. Yet I recognize this wood is in another realm. The classiest sheerist sexiest powder I've EVER witnessed. (I need to send a taste to my scent sister @Be en Foret, because we've discussed powder many times. Maybe she can help me uncover the mystery of this wood.)
 
Last edited:
Low heat until the softness fades then ill turn it up.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_0196.webp
    124.1 KB · Views: 75
Tiger Seram
White fruits all the way and with a little higher heat some Kentucky Derby type dignified barnyard.This wood is so well balanced.I like it to start, and end the day and all day.It took me years to appreciate this wood.
There is an ongoing learning curve for enjoying quality woods in my case.
 
Back
Top