Insane amount of gifts from my brother @iori that would keep me busy for a year Lol

Hainan:
Wow! sweet nutty floral and earthy, very clear notes, very enjoyable, there is some kinamic notes here and there but not the full kinamic oomph, Gorgeous!

Kyara:
This was a shock upon smell, nothing like what I used to heat, very condensed, very saturated, full on floral and an eathy tone similar the finest Soil Kyara. As I go up the notes got more diffuse, picking iris, maybe some jasmine and orris butter. A sniff of uniqueness and happiness.
بالعافية عليك
Enjoy and let us hear more =)
 
Put a pinch of some of the plantation ck i have been pounding to a fibrous pulp (in preparation for extraction). This smashed fibrous form is just perfect for releasing fragrance efficiently and this wood is just making me so happy. Beautiful scent, and it's nice knowing there's no inoculants or anything like that, just hot poker treatment and that's it. It smells good enough on the burner that part of me isn't happy about making it into an extract. I would just like to burn more of this instead. I can always order more of course. Before I was placing entire chips on the mica, but this time I put some of the pulped wood and got some beautiful rose type aromas that I had not smelled the previous times.
 
Last edited:
Put a pinch of some of the plantation ck i have been pounding to a fibrous pulp (in preparation for extraction). This smashed fibrous form is just perfect for releasing fragrance efficiently and this wood is just making me so happy. Beautiful and it's nice knowing there's no inoculants or anything like that, just hot poker treatment and that's it. It smells so good on the burner I honestly don't feel like making it into an extract, I would just like to burn more of this instead but I'm going to follow through on my plans because I can always order more. Before I was placing entire chips on the mica, but this time I put some of the pulped wood and got some beautiful rose type aromas that I had not smelled the previous times.
These chips are from Broad link?
 
AlKhudair Oud - Royal Vietnamese Oud Chips

Dense, rich, resinous, sweet, woody, oudy.

IMG_1281_11zon.jpeg
 
Last edited:
"White Crane" Kyara - @iori
Sweet, bitter, condensed, saturated floral, one of the best kyara ever.
Heating this type of magic wood is not all about the complexity of the smell, it is also about the feeling it delivers, I felt so calm and relaxed, if there is any smell entered me in a zen mood this would be it.
Apart from the gorgeous otherworldy smell, the feeling, there is also the quality.
The quality of this piece is so high in the kyara ladder if there is one, notes are clear, cooling is there (not minty), hot milk honey medicinal all in one, and it is super balanced.
What a gem you have brother!
 
When I was in Hanoi last year I was told about a brick and mortar store in the old Quarter called Oud Vietnam. I found it and went in one sweaty day. They mainly focus on wood from their own plantations but there was some oil I spotted on the shelf (didn't try it). Lots of different grades and a few "Ant Wood" varieties as well. They put together a pretty comprehensive sample pack for only $50 which I have been making my way through. For the last two days I've had a stunning honeyed/vanilla chip which looks a little like char but not quite on the sub. No complaints for this plantation wood.
 
Fawn Horn -Chinese CK

I don’t know how these other chips are competing with CK at the moment. CK is cheaper, lasts longer, and arguably smells better. And it has many grades of quality (this one being the highest).

Burnt some Royal Vietnamese before and it’s double the price for a quarter of the longevity, although the scent is a different profile. And good too.

Slowly seeing natural woods come down to price parity with the Muhassan/Enhnaced crap - which is a good thing.
 
I have a wood warming from our friend, @mesOUD . So far I got nothing, but I know you are supposed ot start low and then slowly increase as the volatile notes are warmed/burned off.
I've read a few of your posts about struggling to get aroma from wood chips and I'm trying to understand what's going on… I have never had any difficulty getting aroma out of wood chips.

It sounds like either you have a defective burner, or a wicked case of anosmia! I'm under the impression that you have done your research and have a decent burner or two, so it has to be your sense of smell I guess. The other thing I was thinking is that maybe your expectations are off, so you are smelling the same thing as the rest of us but expecting something different so it seems like it's not working.

My general experience is that small slices about the size of a dime will fill a space with strong aroma in very little time.
 
Some woods will need high heat (Maroke for example), I'd advise to try it on charcoal, you can wait for 15/20 minutes for charcoal heat to come down and then place the non-resinous part directly to the charcoal or add a mica plate. In general, pale less resinous woods will have a faint smell compared to the more resinous ones, but that is not an indication of good or bad semll, only for the power of smell.
 
Toc Bong / Hong Kong Qinan - @iori
Very similar to the ones I adore deeply in my collection. The Toc Bong is more sophisticated, more complex with layers of notes, more heat tolerance, and shows more with every 10 C, I see it more complex than the one I have, and I like both of them almost equally.
 
Back
Top