Depends on the temp. At the lower end, I can get in there pretty close and really have some fun, but I can also smell it 70-80cm above? I’ve considered getting a very small, low-powered desk fan to mount above/behind them to help move the aroma around. There’s a high degree of correlation between sub temperature and the aroma’s projection in my experience. Right now there is some pipe tobacco in it and it’s been on a medium-low heat for about an hour, I’m about 2m away from it and it’s one of the most intoxicatingly divine aromas I’ve ever experienced.

We probably need some folks with more experience to chime in, too. I might be about to get run off for spreading outlandish advice!

@Olfactory Nomad


Edited to add: I think the distance at which you detect the scent is probably also a factor of how long it’s been allowed to rest at that temp and dissipate. For example, if you’ve got it hot enough to glow, chances are you may smell it on the other side of the house in a matter of minutes, whereas if you’ve got it on low, it may take 30-45 minutes to volatilize enough material to have a measurable impact in your space. This is PURELY conjecture!
instructions unclear, now I don't have eyebrows.
 
IMG_0313.jpeg

Piece of vietnamese agarwood on piece of sandalwood and then Gyokushodo zuko, burning is creating base, zuko is creating spicey top notes on skin, thinking how to create middle notes, probably some swipe of some floral oil will be good to create complex perfume like scent on skin.
 
Last edited:
Yusa Nha Trang Bead Scrap - since I got back from the Gulf, I have been trying my woods on higher heat trying to capture some of that charcoal vibe without the charcoal (can’t get away with that where I live).

With this one, I have discovered that it’s a great fumigator, perhaps moreso than being an up-close / low-temp performer. It’s a bit off-puttingly tarry when I sniff the sub in hand or on the coffee table next to me, but if take an already well-roasted piece and crank it up to perhaps 18 volts for 30 minutes, it leaves a nice, persistent oudy perfume in the room without smoking too much.

I think the key is to do the initial roasting on a medium-low heat to drive the resin to the surface and char it up a bit, then increase the heat for fumigation with minimal smoke.

I realise I’m rambling here, but maybe someone can give me a steer.

IMG_0296.jpeg
 
Yusa Nha Trang Bead Scrap - since I got back from the Gulf, I have been trying my woods on higher heat trying to capture some of that charcoal vibe without the charcoal (can’t get away with that where I live).

With this one, I have discovered that it’s a great fumigator, perhaps moreso than being an up-close / low-temp performer. It’s a bit off-puttingly tarry when I sniff the sub in hand or on the coffee table next to me, but if take an already well-roasted piece and crank it up to perhaps 18 volts for 30 minutes, it leaves a nice, persistent oudy perfume in the room without smoking too much.

I think the key is to do the initial roasting on a medium-low heat to drive the resin to the surface and char it up a bit, then increase the heat for fumigation with minimal smoke.

I realise I’m rambling here, but maybe someone can give me a steer.

View attachment 52544
I think you're steering just fine!
 
habz sinking Sri Lankan - so I was very sheepish with the temp. I would range from 60 for a super close up session, to 100 for a more intense closeup session. 150-175 lightly but noticeably perfumes up a small room in 10-15 mins. I am wondering how much of a temperature reduction the mica sheet results in, plus the irregular shape of the wood that is touching the hot surface vs being warmed ambiently. I will try 200-300 next, aiming for an even more impactful room smelling session.

edit: past 200 the smell started to change. It got almost sandy before emitting a darker scent than I had smelled before. It was not a char but a darkening of the light and sweet pleasantness of lower temps. Pushing it in increments to 300 resulted in resin leaking from the chip onto the mica plate, and bubble out the top of the wood chip.
I would say 80% of the resin in the chip of wood is still intact in streaks. There were tiny wisps of smoke unfurling as tiny of the bubbles popped on the surface. I only had it at 300 for maybe 2-3 mins then I turned it off and smelled it as it reversed it's trajectory back to the softer low-temp smells I was used to. Amazing experience. Tentatively, I think 225C is my ceiling for this particular wood, while 60C is the floor.
 
Last edited:
Kangiiten - Brunei Beccariana.

I’ve been going through my stash of woods I’ve purchased from Kangiiten. Although the Beccariana is not the finest Agarwood, it’s definitely serviceable as an daily burn. One thing I’ve noticed is that it requires a higher temp than usual.
An intriguing top note, a bitter greenery. A touch of subtle dark sweetness in the mid. Incensey. At this stage of development, it reminds me of some Merauke woods I’ve heated,
However, my favourite part is the honeyed musk base note that is common with woods from Brunei / West Malaysia.
 
nightly burn session with habzoud sinking sri lankan. I have found the magic of 175-200C, strong but gentle wafts from a distance, no smoke or bubbling resin (mind you this is like the 4th burn of a 1cmx1cmx1.5mm chip that I broke into 3 small pieces this time). I have been noticing a kind of fine sand vibe that is fantastic.
 
Ramadan Cambodi - ASO

Excellent, especially for the price. Genuine wild Cambodi wood is becoming rarer these days, $75 for 10g is a no brainer!
Al Shareef says he frequently uses these chips as a daily burn & I can see why. Some pieces have that piercing high grade Crassna top note, but all of them develop into a dark cherry, floral & cigar tobacco mid, before settling into a sweet vanillic-coumarin, soft leather, incensey agar resin base note. Beautiful.
 
Ramadan Cambodi - ASO

Excellent, especially for the price. Genuine wild Cambodi wood is becoming rarer these days, $75 for 10g is a no brainer!
Al Shareef says he frequently uses these chips as a daily burn & I can see why. Some pieces have that piercing high grade Crassna top note, but all of them develop into a dark cherry, floral & cigar tobacco mid, before settling into a sweet vanillic-coumarin, soft leather, incensey agar resin base note. Beautiful.
I've been hoping he might get some more of these. They sold out a while ago.
 
Ramadan Cambodi - ASO

Excellent, especially for the price. Genuine wild Cambodi wood is becoming rarer these days, $75 for 10g is a no brainer!
Al Shareef says he frequently uses these chips as a daily burn & I can see why. Some pieces have that piercing high grade Crassna top note, but all of them develop into a dark cherry, floral & cigar tobacco mid, before settling into a sweet vanillic-coumarin, soft leather, incensey agar resin base note. Beautiful.
I should revisit that Cambodi.
Today, Kangiiten Tarakan Floral,
I love this oudh, and it has
fruity facets also.
 
Palo Santo while hydrodistilling lavender and let me tell you…

I had to do it again today. The interface is incredible. You can stand midway between the sub and the distillation and get both of them and then cheat in either direction to mess with the concentration of each when compared to the other. My wife had me wear Mai Kritsana today, too, which brings an otherworldly element to the whole experience. It’s great.
 
Back
Top