[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Merauke AQ - The Oud Lab

Beautiful pieces of wood to look at & handle, the way in which they ‘clunk’ against each other is very satisfying! Heavy, solid pieces.
It’s a shame to break them apart, but they smell even better than they look. Green, earthy, salty, herbal, slightly floral with that pitch black royal incense note Merauke wood is known for. The profile becomes sweeter the longer it sits on the sub.
High grade Merauke wood is a treat nowadays, as the market seems to be flooded with plenty of average grade stuff or worst still, Sinai.
 
Habz sinking Sri Lankan. I realised I have never fully used a chip. I am reusing my first batch of chips at 225C and my room is nicely fragrant with the later stages. I will try to use these chips up entirely today and just keep the burner running at higher and higher temps.
 
View attachment 53172
Merauke AQ - The Oud Lab

Beautiful pieces of wood to look at & handle, the way in which they ‘clunk’ against each other is very satisfying! Heavy, solid pieces.
It’s a shame to break them apart, but they smell even better than they look. Green, earthy, salty, herbal, slightly floral with that pitch black royal incense note Merauke wood is known for. The profile becomes sweeter the longer it sits on the sub.
High grade Merauke wood is a treat nowadays, as the market seems to be flooded with plenty of average grade stuff or worst still, Sinai.
This new batch of soil Merauke from ASO are very different in feel and weight to the ones you've describing. Each one is very light in the hand. I feel like they could be hollow inside but I can't be sure until I use one. They don't sound clunky as you have described. Beautifully polished and nice to look at. I'm looking forward to burning one.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    PXL_20260217_202120103.PORTRAIT~2.webp
    216.1 KB · Views: 51
This new batch of soil Merauke from ASO are very different in feel and weight to the ones you've describing. Each one is very light in the hand. I feel like they could be hollow inside but I can't be sure until I use one. They don't sound clunky as you have described. Beautifully polished and nice to look at. I'm looking forward to burning one.
Mate those pieces look beautiful. I’m going to have to buy some of these. ASO selects beautiful smelling woods. No matter what, you can be guaranteed the profile will be spot on! Soil Agarwood is much lighter & softer than harvested wood, hence the difference in feel from TOL Merauke.
 
Qasser AlOrchid - Hindi Bhutan XL Double Super

The pieces are huge, like dinosaur remains 🦖.

Sweet, resinous, Earthy, smoky, initially has notes of tyre burning 🔥 🛞. This then dissipates and a beautiful saffronic note appears.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_2398_11zon.webp
    177.8 KB · Views: 36
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_2399_11zon.webp
    81 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Yamadamatsu SS Aloeswood small cut

Today’s piece had an opening that was slightly kinamIc, then it was vetiver, spice, resin, slightly fruity floral, earth, and wood.

Followed by Habzoud Sinking Sri Lanka
Majority of the pieces are insanely resinous.
Otherwordly florals, resin, perfume, nuts, fruit flesh, wood, oudy, and minerals.
 
Last edited:
Port Moresby again, these slivers have a little bit of bubble action.
Port Moresby _ Kangiiten (powder), for me today as well. Great scent coming at a really low temp. At 120 I get a vanilla flavoured black tea which honestly is a first for me with any wood. Beautiful scent. The five grams in the bottle of this powder is enough to last the rest of my life. It's filled all the way to the top.
 
I've moved onto the Merauke Qadeem - ASO chips. I'm going to really enjoy these. I've started with the smallest chip from the lot, gone straight to 16.5 Volts as per instructions from Al Shareef. For almost 10mins there was really not much happening, maybe a bit of a roasted smell. Then out of nowhere it's like it hit the optimum temperature inside the chip because it literally burst forth with a really stunning scent. Warm homemade vanilla custard that has smothered an apricot pudding. Wow! @Mousse de Chene, you really need to try these.💚🤤
 
I've moved onto the Merauke Qadeem - ASO chips. I'm going to really enjoy these. I've started with the smallest chip from the lot, gone straight to 16.5 Volts as per instructions from Al Shareef. For almost 10mins there was really not much happening, maybe a bit of a roasted smell. Then out of nowhere it's like it hit the optimum temperature inside the chip because it literally burst forth with a really stunning scent. Warm homemade vanilla custard that has smothered an apricot pudding. Wow! @Mousse de Chene, you really need to try these.💚🤤
Mate it sounds spectacular, I love sweet gourmand Oud profiles.
It sounds very unique, also. ASO & yourself have both used apricot as a description, I don’t usually associate Merauke wood with fruity tones.
 
Port Moresby _ Kangiiten (powder), for me today as well. Great scent coming at a really low temp. At 120 I get a vanilla flavoured black tea which honestly is a first for me with any wood. Beautiful scent. The five grams in the bottle of this powder is enough to last the rest of my life. It's filled all the way to the top.
I‘ve been curious about this, as well as the Port Moresby oil from EO. Anyone know if these products actually come from PNG, or if it’s from the Indonesian side of the island like merauke? AI told me that only gyrinops grows wild in PNG, but I didn’t fact-check that.
 
I‘ve been curious about this, as well as the Port Moresby oil from EO. Anyone know if these products actually come from PNG, or if it’s from the Indonesian side of the island like merauke? AI told me that only gyrinops grows wild in PNG, but I didn’t fact-check that.
I can't answer that with any certainty other than to say that trees don't respect borders.
 
Haven't burned these yet but I'm stating my intent here. The one on the left is especially interesting to me (Pursat from @mesOUD !) given the regular postings about this wood by @Oudamberlove - it has been interesting seeing notes on the variety of notes this batch of chips was capable of producing, and it will be fascinating to see which emerge from this particular nugget. I've had this piece for a while, and one of the things on my to-do list is to be more purposeful with my burning. I've been meaning to check out a handful of specimens for a while, it's a neglected aspect of this hobby for me.

The other wood chip here arrived along with the Assagon sample - a nugget of Sintang. I don't know what to expect from this one, looking forward to seeing what it's all about!
IMG_6018.webp
 
Last edited:
Haven't earned these yet but I'm stating my intent here. The one on the left is especially interesting to me (Pursat from @mesOUD !) given the regular postings about this wood by @Oudamberlove - it has been interesting seeing notes on the variety of notes this batch of chips was capable of producing, and it will be fascinating to see which emerge from this particular nugget. I've had this piece for a while, and one of the things on my to-do list is to be more purposeful with my burning. I've been meaning to check out a handful of specimens for a while, it's a neglected aspect of this hobby for me.

The other wood chip here arrived along with the Assagon sample - a nugget of Sintang. I don't know what to expect from this one, looking forward to seeing what it's all about!
View attachment 53215
Both will be distilled soon
This sintang has an amazing profile,it is from west borneo,close to pontianak
 
Both will be distilled soon
This sintang has an amazing profile,it is from west borneo,close to pontianak
Yeah? Excellent! i'll try to put in some time appreciating these over the next few days.
 
Haven't burned these yet but I'm stating my intent here. The one on the left is especially interesting to me (Pursat from @mesOUD !) given the regular postings about this wood by @Oudamberlove - it has been interesting seeing notes on the variety of notes this batch of chips was capable of producing, and it will be fascinating to see which emerge from this particular nugget. I've had this piece for a while, and one of the things on my to-do list is to be more purposeful with my burning. I've been meaning to check out a handful of specimens for a while, it's a neglected aspect of this hobby for me.

The other wood chip here arrived along with the Assagon sample - a nugget of Sintang. I don't know what to expect from this one, looking forward to seeing what it's all about!
View attachment 53215
That Pursat has become legendary through @Oudamberlove postings alone!
 
Back
Top