[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

Oud for traweeh the first one is Sri Lankan and the second one is Trat too bad I can’t send the video the bubbling was crazy on them
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_2433.webp
    178.8 KB · Views: 30
Given what I know about CK, I feel i overpaid for this small bottle of black cultivated kinam. That said, it is clearly carefully selected wood - pretty much all are completely resin-saturated, very soft and pliable, breaks apart easily due to high oil content; the aroma is very pleasant, classic clean sinensis profile with no salivary or fecal notes like hainan Ck often has. Not particularly exotic but completely pleasant and enjoyable to me and very much a full oud aroma - i'm giving it just a little bit more heat than is needed for a long, slow burn but staying shy of scorching it. love it
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
I have limited experience with CK having only tried from 2/3 vendors and having found the profile very samey, but I got a single chunk of White CK from Areej Le Dore (was a gift with the Arabian Heritage perfume set) and it is really quite beautiful. At low heat it has an almost floral perfume note to it, something I would not really enjoy in a perfume - but slowly mingling with the more classic CK notes, it is really quite mesmerizing. I wonder if this note is intrinsic to the wood itself or imparted indirectly having lived in a perfumer's storeroom...

I contacted them and they would sell it - but only ship within Indonesia sadly. I will have to explore some of the more premium iterations in the CK world - seems I was too quick to judge. 🙂
 
Instead of breaking up a conical piece of Habz sinking Sri Lankan, I just threw it on the heater at 250C. Over the course of about a half an hour during board game night, the bottom of the oud-tent was bubbling resin but the higher parts were not. Given how much use I get out of tiny flakes and chips of this stuff, this experience was a bit of a splurge but it really did feel nice sitting with a nice big(ger) hunk of wood heating up.
 
Chunks of heartwood i chiseled out of a larger log i got in the late 90's. Smells like Hainan - big hit of musky honey, some salivary notes. Bubbles like crazy and very rich resin aroma in the dry down. Better at higher temps i think. A little muskier / funkier at first than what i prefer, it becomes very spicy and "mineraly" with time. very nice dark phenolic mid and late stage burn.

IMG_6200.webp
IMG_6199.webp
IMG_6202.webp
 
Last edited:
Chunks of heartwood i chiseled out of a larger log i got in the late 90's. Smells like Hainan - big hit of musky honey, some salivary notes. Bubbles like crazy and very rich resin aroma in the dry down. Better at higher temps i think. A little muskier / funkier at first than what i prefer, it becomes very spicy and "mineraly" with time. very nice dark phenolic mid and late stage burn.

View attachment 53318View attachment 53319View attachment 53320
Wow! I hate to think what that would be worth today. What a score!
 
Old Yamada Matsu SA sinking granules (purchased in 2001). smells like Tarakan / malinau and at times a salty / oceanic indonesian type.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Sintang - mesOUD

Very beautiful wood from West Kalimantan. Usually woods from Kalimantan have an austere dark Oudiness, rich in resin; incensey, dry fruits, leathery. Sintang actually shares quite a lot with the Malinau profile, soft powdery vanilla, honey, pollen, flowers with the most vivid cinnamon note I’ve smelled in any wood. High grade wood, that’s for certain!
 
Chunks of heartwood i chiseled out of a larger log i got in the late 90's. Smells like Hainan - big hit of musky honey, some salivary notes. Bubbles like crazy and very rich resin aroma in the dry down. Better at higher temps i think. A little muskier / funkier at first than what i prefer, it becomes very spicy and "mineraly" with time. very nice dark phenolic mid and late stage burn.

View attachment 53318View attachment 53319View attachment 53320
Mr P, I find it fascinating that you were purchasing Oud wood in the 90s? When & how were you exposed to Oud in the first place, if you don’t mind me asking?….
 
Mr P, I find it fascinating that you were purchasing Oud wood in the 90s? When & how were you exposed to Oud in the first place, if you don’t mind me asking?….
Through an interest in perfumery and Japanese incense, mainly. Most directly, when I was in graduate school at the university of Washington I helped teach botany and mycology classes, and one of my students went on to open a store that specialized in herbs and essential oils and incense and such. She was the first person to hand me a nugget of agarwood back in 1995 or thereabouts. That got me started...
 
Through an interest in perfumery and Japanese incense, mainly. Most directly, when I was in graduate school at the university of Washington I helped teach botany and mycology classes, and one of my students went on to open a store that specialized in herbs and essential oils and incense and such. She was the first person to hand me a nugget of agarwood back in 1995 or thereabouts. That got me started...
Very cool. I doubt there were many non Arabs, Japanese or Chinese that had handled a piece of Agarwood in 1995.
 
Very cool. I doubt there were many non Arabs, Japanese or Chinese that had handled a piece of Agarwood in 1995.
I'm wondering when Baieido / Esoterics LLC (US distributor) really started bringing in oud? I think they pretty much kicked off the phenomenon for the most part - they were responsible for the discussion group "Alice's Restaurant" where the first real waves of interest got started.

The first agarwood product for me now that i think about it is an attar i got from Madini (Moroccan perfumery) in 1992. New Age shops used to carry some of their oils, they had a really excellent thick frankincense that had a similar viscosity and presence to the oils that Oudique is carrying now.

that frankincense is long gone but I still have the agarwood bottle and most of the oil (see pic). It smells natural and "oudy" but it isn't oud. I bought it blind after having a conversation with the owner of the US distributor. Wasn't crazy about it at the time so it lasted... I enjoy it now mainly for the nostalgia because it has a very distinctive aroma and immediately transports me back to that moment in time. i'm not sure what it is made from - some sweet resinous aromas I don't specifically recognize (which kind of surprises me to be honest). In that sense it seems very carefully blended.

i'm actually living close to where I was at the time that I got it because I've moved back East to help my father stay in his home in his old age so I'm right back where it started. It's kind of fun

IMG_6239.webp
 
Last edited:
Back
Top