Kito Tenkundo Kyara "Radiance of the dragon flower"
Phenomenal purple oil, lots of layers and elegance.

Kito Tenkundo Sanjonishi Gyoun Kyara "Akane"
This is one of my favorite period, black oil Kyara with perfect 5 flavors of the rikkokugomi system.
It have insane depth, its elegance of charts and just the feeling it leave in mouth is different...also the type of medicinal note it offer is rare.
Its one of the pieces suck you in when you listen to it... the only downside i only have about 0.4 of it.

Old Kyara "White Crane"
This is potential best of all time i tested, perfect piece in every way...everyone tested it shocked to his core along with other Kyara friend call it Unicon wood!
Celestial 5 flavors with its exceptional notes and pureness...i would say it give the best of each flavor of the Rikkoku system.
I want a chunk of it! well i shouldn't be greedy i have about gram of 3 Kakuwari pieces, but... the pieces we love we always want more of it.
 
Oh @Mr.P, if you ever come over my way I must take you to visit an old friend. He is an "ethno-botonist" and "ethno-mycologist". He is also a fragrance enthusiast. The conversations the two of you could have would be very interesting and enjoyable.
it's always nice to connect with people who share one's obsessions and interests, that's for sure. I would love to travel at some point - Australia is on my list of places to visit for sure.
 
Some of this nice clean crassna on the subitism. Delicious! Unusually clean and kinam-like - no off or barny / fecal / salivary facets whatsoever which is not always the case for crassna in my experience. I wish I had more wood with this clean a burn
IMG_6261.webp
 
Last edited:
I'm wondering when Baieido / Esoterics LLC (US distributor) really started bringing in oud? I think they pretty much kicked off the phenomenon for the most part - they were responsible for the discussion group "Alice's Restaurant" where the first real waves of interest got started.

The first agarwood product for me now that i think about it is an attar i got from Madini (Moroccan perfumery) in 1992. New Age shops used to carry some of their oils, they had a really excellent thick frankincense that had a similar viscosity and presence to the oils that Oudique is carrying now.

that frankincense is long gone but I still have the agarwood bottle and most of the oil (see pic). It smells natural and "oudy" but it isn't oud. I bought it blind after having a conversation with the owner of the US distributor. Wasn't crazy about it at the time so it lasted... I enjoy it now mainly for the nostalgia because it has a very distinctive aroma and immediately transports me back to that moment in time. i'm not sure what it is made from - some sweet resinous aromas I don't specifically recognize (which kind of surprises me to be honest). In that sense it seems very carefully blended.

i'm actually living close to where I was at the time that I got it because I've moved back East to help my father stay in his home in his old age so I'm right back where it started. It's kind of fun

View attachment 53337
How very interesting, I’d be curious to smell the reconstruction of the deer musk. Is it similar to the synthetic black musk attars that are common place today in the Arabian & Indian market?

Were you a member of Alice’s Restaurant, Mr P? How did the discussion group work in 1995? Was it in multiple cities? I find it fascinating that Baieido & Esoterics LLC started this initiative.
I remember the new age shops in Melbourne during the 80s & 90s. I highly doubt any of them stocked quality oils, however! They were usually seen as places where marijuana smokers would buy their supplies from haha.

I love those thick Frankincense oils btw. ASO had one several years ago, I don’t believe it was sold on his website, however I received a generous sample. A beautiful sticky resinous oil with all those high pitched citrus-lime notes, mineral, camphor, greenery, a dry woodiness. It was brilliant, it stuck to the skin for a long time.
I own a few grams of a Frankincense EO from The Oud Lab, while it smells brilliant, it’s very light & evaporates off the skin quickly. I ended up using a good amount in a Taif Rose-Frankincense blend, as you can imagine it’s ethereal, fresh, invigorating, I might end up macerating some Musk in it, however,
 
Last edited:
How very interesting, I’d be curious to smell the reconstruction of the deer musk. Is it similar to the synthetic black musk attars that are common place today in the Arabian & Indian market?

Were you a member of Alice’s Restaurant, Mr P? How did the discussion group work in 1995? Was it in multiple cities? I find it fascinating that Baieido & Esoterics LLC started this initiative.
I remember the new age shops in Melbourne during the 80s & 90s. I highly doubt any of them stocked quality oils, however! They were usually seen as places where marijuana smokers would buy their supplies from haha.

I love those thick Frankincense oils btw. ASO had one several years ago, I don’t believe it was sold on his website, however I received a generous sample. A beautiful sticky resinous oil with all those high pitched citrus-lime notes, mineral, camphor, greenery, a dry woodiness. It was brilliant, it stuck to the skin for a long time.
I own a few grams of a Frankincense EO from The Oud Lab, while it smells brilliant, it’s very light & evaporates off the skin quickly. I ended up using a good amount in a Taif Rose-Frankincense blend, as you can imagine it’s ethereal, fresh, invigorating, I might end up macerating some Musk in it, however,

The musk was "musky" bot did not smell like deer musk or synthetic musk. kind of a sweet musky incense accord. There were two different versions of the fragrance, because I had tried to buy a second bottle but it was a different aroma.

yes I was a member of Alice's restaurant until it shut down. It was like ouddict in some ways... a handful of regular contributors, a lot of new learners and enthusiasts. Discussion was almost entirely around burning wood and incense, making incense, etc. because there was no US market for oud oil at the time. It got heated at times - it started out as the mouthpiece for Esoterics and as more people with expertise came on board it got a little divisive because there was tension between promoting the brand and allowing the free flow of information... eventually led to a split and formation of "Scent of Enlightenment" which was a group set up as an alternative to Alice's

Actually now that you reminded me i recall that I smelled that thick oil from ASO - that is a very nice one as well!
 
mesOUD Sintang

Super-grateful to have received this chip with my Assagon order.

This satisfies the sour berry cravings at low-medium temperature. At medium-high temp it starts to turns floral and slightly medicinal before settling to vanilla.

View attachment 53383
I would love to get that berry note from a chip the way I do from the oils. Never happened to me. I’m still in search of the perfect chip. Vietnamese angles and Terengganu seem to be my favorite. But I know my work is not done.
 
I would love to get that berry note from a chip the way I do from the oils. Never happened to me. I’m still in search of the perfect chip. Vietnamese angles and Terengganu seem to be my favorite. But I know my work is not done.
Do you have a sub? I think start low on the sub and gradually dial it up and you will catch that berry vibe at some point - usually requires a medium-low temp,at least on mine.

I got crazy berries from Yusa’s Terengganu antwood, which is sadly long used up.
 
Do you have a sub? I think start low on the sub and gradually dial it up and you will catch that berry vibe at some point - usually requires a medium-low temp,at least on mine.

I got crazy berries from Yusa’s Terengganu antwood, which is sadly long used up.
Yeah I have a sub. I use it often. Last haul was char garo hills - which was ok. Terengganu still the best I ever had on the sub.
 
Sharif Laroche Cambodi Double Super

It reminds me of Koh Kong and Pursat.
Nice aroma and good performance for a
non sinking oudh.
Sharif LaRoche! now there's a name I haven't heard in a while.
 
My first official burn was today, ASO’s Ramadan Oud Prachin and Nagaland. One coal each, separate times back to back. Very meditative and enjoyable though i could see a sub coming in handy as, with some foil on the coal it wasnt quite hot enough and without foil felt maybe a bit too hot. Loved them both, naga being more chocolaty and dense and the prachin being sweeter and slightly more camphor. Coincidently attended an incense making class today (made cones) and brought the same wood to use in my blend along with some hojari tears and a mystery myrrh. Shared it with my table of cohorts too which felt good. Didn't use any perfume oils except for a frankincense resinoid i was happy to see, which was the only natural option. Excited to see how they burn in a week or two! (Did not include ASO’s muschouli in the blend but now i think it wouldve been cool to do)
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_5086.webp
    235.7 KB · Views: 18
  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_4885.webp
    129.3 KB · Views: 18
My first official burn was today, ASO’s Ramadan Oud Prachin and Nagaland. One coal each, separate times back to back. Very meditative and enjoyable though i could see a sub coming in handy as, with some foil on the coal it wasnt quite hot enough and without foil felt maybe a bit too hot. Loved them both, naga being more chocolaty and dense and the prachin being sweeter and slightly more camphor. Coincidently attended an incense making class today (made cones) and brought the same wood to use in my blend along with some hojari tears and a mystery myrrh. Shared it with my table of cohorts too which felt good. Didn't use any perfume oils except for a frankincense resinoid i was happy to see, which was the only natural option. Excited to see how they burn in a week or two! (Did not include ASO’s muschouli in the blend but now i think it wouldve been cool to do)
That’s awesome - congrats on making the incense.
 
Back
Top