Fawn Horn - Chinese CK Double Super

Vanilla, and honey šŸÆ. So good 😊
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
    IMG_1576.webp
    363.3 KB · Views: 35
Agar Aromas - Laos Incense Grade - Thought this was quite pleasant daily burn type, sweet, earthy wood at low heat - dialled it up just before the smoke point - not only did jungle and minty aromas literally erupt out of the chip - it is literally oozing black bubbles of resin - feeling lucky to have this old specimen.
 
Al Fajr Oud - Maroke Special

This is the fancy Maroke I got in Oman. At first I thought I got ripped off, because it smells of literally nothing at low-medium temp. You really need to crank this high and roast it for a prolonged period of time before it gives anything of interest, but once it’s sufficiently roasted, it starts to put out quite mind-bending notes of cherry and almond - reminds me of English bakewell tart, if that means anything to you!)

Blasting this on 19 volts for (literally) hours is probably going to destroy my sub 😭. This is one where I wish I could just pop it on charcoal and be done with it.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Al Fajr Oud - Maroke Special

This is the fancy Maroke I got in Oman. At first I thought I got ripped off, because it smells of literally nothing at low-medium temp. You really need to crank this high and roast it for a prolonged period of time before it gives anything of interest, but once it’s sufficiently roasted, it starts to put out quite mind-bending notes of cherry and almond - reminds me of English bakewell tart, if that means anything to you!)

Blasting this on 19 volts for (literally) hours is probably going to destroy my sub 😭. This is one where I wish I could just pop it on charcoal and be done with it.

View attachment 53401View attachment 53402
Wow yea those look thick and dense
 
I burned a bit of a chip from Sintang that came via @mesOUD - seemed like a very nice classic Indonesian style wood - quite pleasant, no off notes, good resin content etc..
 
Al Fajr Oud - Maroke Special

This is the fancy Maroke I got in Oman. At first I thought I got ripped off, because it smells of literally nothing at low-medium temp. You really need to crank this high and roast it for a prolonged period of time before it gives anything of interest, but once it’s sufficiently roasted, it starts to put out quite mind-bending notes of cherry and almond - reminds me of English bakewell tart, if that means anything to you!)

Blasting this on 19 volts for (literally) hours is probably going to destroy my sub 😭. This is one where I wish I could just pop it on charcoal and be done with it.

View attachment 53401View attachment 53402
@Alamande where did you get this round burner from? My Shoyeido wood chip burner is losing strength (I’ve had it for a decade if not longer), and would like a wooden round one like this one in your pic.
 
Al Fajr Oud - Maroke Special

This is the fancy Maroke I got in Oman. At first I thought I got ripped off, because it smells of literally nothing at low-medium temp. You really need to crank this high and roast it for a prolonged period of time before it gives anything of interest, but once it’s sufficiently roasted, it starts to put out quite mind-bending notes of cherry and almond - reminds me of English bakewell tart, if that means anything to you!)

Blasting this on 19 volts for (literally) hours is probably going to destroy my sub 😭. This is one where I wish I could just pop it on charcoal and be done with it.

View attachment 53401View attachment 53402
Beautiful looking Merauke wood. It’s pretty much the same deal with most Merauke Oud. Very hard / heavy pieces that appear to have low resin / oil content to the naked eye. Usually they require a significantly higher temp than other woods, 19v is very high tho! I’m usually good at 15-16v but I suppose every sub is different.
 
Last edited:
Maluku - mesOUD.

The same batch of wood that was cooked to produce his oil ā€˜Anas’. While I haven’t smelled that oil, I can only imagine how wonderful it must be, especially since it’s got some age on it now.
Wood from the Maluku islands is hard to come by, yet the two examples I’ve heated over the years have been spectacular.

Mehmet’s wood has a breathtaking Orris-Violet irone top note. A soft, yet vivid purple Iris, powdery-earthy-waxy. The other example of Maluku wood I previously heated had an Iris top note also, perhaps that is a signature of the region?
Once Mehmet’s Maluku develops on the sub, the powdery purple tone shifts in favour of a royal pitch black incense note, dark resinous, austere, only slightly sweet, very grand. On low heat, it carries on this way for hours, warm spices, coumarin, suede, dark resinous incense until a lovely musk note appears toward the end of the burn.

Sensational wood! I understand why Mehmet was inspired to cook this one, it’s unique & takes you on a journey with its various transitions. I’d love to smell the oil ā€˜Anas’, I hear that the purple Iris top note was captured very successfully.
 
Last edited:
Al Fajr Oud - Maroke Special

This is the fancy Maroke I got in Oman. At first I thought I got ripped off, because it smells of literally nothing at low-medium temp. You really need to crank this high and roast it for a prolonged period of time before it gives anything of interest, but once it’s sufficiently roasted, it starts to put out quite mind-bending notes of cherry and almond - reminds me of English bakewell tart, if that means anything to you!)

Blasting this on 19 volts for (literally) hours is probably going to destroy my sub 😭. This is one where I wish I could just pop it on charcoal and be done with it.

View attachment 53401View attachment 53402
Maroke generally needs to be heated at high temp to get the best results.
 
PureOudh - Assam - I love when you get a piece of wood that you can recognize so clearly from your oil collection (or vice versa) - yesterday I swiped the amazing Sulaym - HM Badshah - the dry down is incredible - getting hints of it from this great piece of Assam TS wood on low.
 
Sharif Laroche Cambodi Double Super

Round 2

I actually sent Ensar some of this wood to ask him what region he thought it was. He didn’t mention any region, just said it was oil grade.

Anyhow, luvin it!

Followed by KZ Hainan
From a mostly woody piece with resin on the outer edge. A little different from char pieces, and likewise a little more wood notes. Still, this region Rocks!
 
Sharif Laroche Cambodi Double Super

Round 2

I actually sent Ensar some of this wood to ask him what region he thought it was. He didn’t mention any region, just said it was oil grade.

Anyhow, luvin it!

Followed by KZ Hainan
From a mostly woody piece with resin on the outer edge. A little different from char pieces, and likewise a little more wood notes. Still, this region Rocks!
what is oil grade? Does that mean more appropriate for distillation than burning?
 
what is oil grade? Does that mean more appropriate for distillation than burning?
I’m not sure what Ensar meant.
To me the wood appears to have resin, just not a thick layer, and is suitable for burning. I know that Ensar is used to top quality heavily resinated wood, so I would guess that he was referring to a level of grading, and that the sample I sent probably contained more oil than resin.
 
I have been making my way through a sampler from TheAgarwoodShop. The only exp I have with woods is Habz sinking Sri Lankan. I don't have analyses yet but to my budding nose they all smell fantastic and I'm shocked at how much mileage I'm getting. Amazing bang for my buck.
 
I have been making my way through a sampler from TheAgarwoodShop. The only exp I have with woods is Habz sinking Sri Lankan. I don't have analyses yet but to my budding nose they all smell fantastic and I'm shocked at how much mileage I'm getting. Amazing bang for my buck.
Mate, I've been going on that sampler for the last 3 yrs!!
 
Back
Top