Doing another crumb of this KZ Hon Kyara (Black Oil)

I know the subitism, even on low heat, isn’t the proper method for using this, which is why I have hardly touched it. I have an adjustable ceramic heater on the way which will hopefully be more suitable, though it’s not the best or fanciest model.

I’m still a neophyte with this stuff. To me it smells almost the same on the heater as it does out of the little jar, which is one of the main things that mark out proper kinam/kyara for me in my limited experience to date - no other woods I own have much smell at room temp (except the little Malinau Budai sculpture I got the other day).

On the sub, this strikes me as plummy, jammy (damson jam?), sweet+sour, mentholic, only slightly bitter. To my nose, the sweet and sour elements are most dominant. Will save the rest for when the ceramic heater arrives

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
This is a chip of Maroke purchased from @Al Shareef Oudh many moons ago - I got a few grams and it came in the form of beautiful pieces like this. I don't know what is typical for Maroke but this is a really nice, solid, thick nugget - not a shell, not a skin, not char, no drilled holes - just a solid plump nugget of uniform consistency, which I don't see all that often. Seems like a really nice piece to me.

I'm looking forward to trying to find the sweet spot for this one today. I recall it shines at slightly higher temperatures but it's been years since I've burned any.


IMG_8488.webp
 
Fun little experiment conducted today. I applied about half a milliliter of a 0.05% solution of dhul q oil in alcohol to a self-lighting charcoal, lit the coal outside, and walked away. Five minutes later I walk back outside and can smell dhul q from 10 feet away. That’s about a quarter of a milligram dose, 250 micrograms, somewhat hefty IMO
 
Prachin shavings…they have significant aroma to them at room temperature, which is what attracted me to them. They show sweet berries, with a pronounced spitty/salivary note as they heat up. I need to play with these and figure out the best method for using them.

View attachment 54717
I really struggle with chips that produce the salivary note and it's reassuring to hear someone else tuning into it occasionally - I ordered a mala from grandawood and it was unwearable because of that.

I tend to put woods like this in the "do not burn" box. For some of them if you turn the temperature up you can scorch that spit note out early on and then it transitions into something more bearable.

One thing that keeps me from burning more often is that sometimes even woods that don't show that scent up front leave a residue with that kind of salivary quality and I just find it an embarrassing smell to have around the home.
 
I really struggle with chips that produce the salivary note and it's reassuring to hear someone else tuning into it occasionally - I ordered a mala from grandawood and it was unwearable because of that.

I tend to put woods like this in the "do not burn" box. For some of them if you turn the temperature up you can scorch that spit note out early on and then it transitions into something more bearable.

One thing that keeps me from burning more often is that sometimes even woods that don't show that scent up front leave a residue with that kind of salivary quality and I just find it an embarrassing smell to have around the home.
It’s interesting. These weren’t super-cheap…about 30US a gram. The fairly pronounced, sweet berry aroma from them at room temperature seemed to mark them out as being good quality. My first thought is that they might be more suitable for a monko-style approach than high temp. I’m looking forward to experimenting with them.
 
It’s interesting. These weren’t super-cheap…about 30US a gram. The fairly pronounced, sweet berry aroma from them at room temperature seemed to mark them out as being good quality. My first thought is that they might be more suitable for a monko-style approach than high temp. I’m looking forward to experimenting with them.
I hope you find the perfect way to enjoy them. I see that salivary note in things that are expensive and otherwise pleasant smelling as much as things that are cheap. I have a batch of Yamada Matsu AA wood, log type, from 2001 and in spite of it having some very pleasant aspects to the profile I can't find any temperature that doesn't have that salivary aspect to the vapor.
 
I hope you find the perfect way to enjoy them. I see that salivary note in things that are expensive and otherwise pleasant smelling as much as things that are cheap. I have a batch of Yamada Matsu AA wood, log type, from 2001 and in spite of it having some very pleasant aspects to the profile I can't find any temperature that doesn't have that salivary aspect to the vapor.
dang, I actually like the salivary notes (as a chapter in the story). I get them from almost all the wood/shavings I have!
 
I'm burning some green CK chips from Broadlink... the CK market is so much a developing thing, these were such a good price, an absolute bargain, and as good or better than any other CK samples I've encountered in terms of the aroma profile. I burn these pretty regularly but I had to do a double take today because the humidity and temperature is quite different and I was getting a slightly different facet coming through in the burn, quite an elegant and engaging scent. fortunately I still retain some of the perspective of what the market was like when I started collecting and the existence of this kind of budget cultivated material is nothing short of miraculous.
 
Back
Top