Interesting how perspectives change! Their pricing for cultivated kinam was pretty out of touch with reality last I checked.

Edit: just visited the site. $35 for a gram of cultivated kinam powder 😂
Funny you should mention it, the day I noticed that was the day I stopped browsing their products... I can imagine some extenuating circumstance where the guy paid way too much to get some of the very first commercially available specimens, and now he's left with a bunch of stock that he paid $20 a gram for or something, but whatever the story it makes you question everything else unfortunately
 
Funny you should mention it, the day I noticed that was the day I stopped browsing their products... I can imagine some extenuating circumstance where the guy paid way too much to get some of the very first commercially available specimens, and now he's left with a bunch of stock that he paid $20 a gram for or something, but whatever the story it makes you question everything else unfortunately
I agree. I just had a quick look on the website and the prices are still the same. There's no way I'd spend that much on any of that wood. I dunno? Maybe if someone is happy to not have to shop around it serves a purpose but it's not hard to find the same quality for much cheaper.
 
Relaxing in my outdoor living room, I have some beautiful hojari on a coal, for which I owe thanks to @Traveller. This was packaged as edible, and is some kind of higher grade than i have burned in the past.

I have smelled a handful of specimens, which doesn't make me a connoisseur but this has some of the most appealing citrusy facets of any that I've gotten my hands on. i've gotten that full deep mystical frankincense presence every time I've burned it - quite remarkable as I often enjoy frankincense but don't get that deep mystical aroma, for lack of a better word. I really prefer the sacra to any of the other species, although I have smelled some amazing carterii resinoid that is very beautiful in a different sense that makes me wonder about what really good quality resin of that would be like.

Fido here has one of my daughter's bracelets around its neck but it had to go because the head of that thing gets hot when the coal is going full steam

if you can predict the direction of the wind, burning frankincense outdoors is perfect. This spot is at the bottom of a watershed formed by the Taconic range up above the town and on a typical night the wind always blows to the west as cool air from the crest flows down the ravine/holler. This is in the opposite direction of the prevailing winds, so it only happens on relatively still nights... I put a bench on the East side of the fire pit since the air is coming down from the hills to the west, and it's like a luxury fire pit - you never get smoke in your face unless it's an unusually windy night.

If I have a guest over who I don't like and don't particularly want to come back I can put a nice comfortable chair for them on the west side of the fire pit. My daughter's former (I hope) suitor for example.

IMG_9147.webp
 
Last edited:
Vintage Vietnamese Red Soil - Oudique (gift). Stunning chip. Very dark with solid resination throughout. Brittle and very dry, it's taking a little bit of perseverance to crack but it's all starting to come together. Multiple heatings up to around 200 are now successfully producing deep cooling and bitter sweet notes at around 80. Many thanks brother! :praying: @Oudique
 
Vintage Vietnamese Red Soil - Oudique (gift). Stunning chip. Very dark with solid resination throughout. Brittle and very dry, it's taking a little bit of perseverance to crack but it's all starting to come together. Multiple heatings up to around 200 are now successfully producing deep cooling and bitter sweet notes at around 80. Many thanks brother! :praying: @Oudique
You can also scrape the wood and use the powder on low heat.
 
Back
Top