Posting for a friend ...

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Heating Al Hashimi Maluku Malaki

Unfortunately I heated a bunk piece,
it turns out 35% were bad,
and some pieces had suspect patches which look like glue. In all fairness, I did not purchase these directly
from Al Hashimi, but rather through a fellow ouddict.

So....the show must go on!!
Out comes another batch of Kyukyodo chips..
View attachment 12352

...these were only half the cost of the ones in my prior post, on medium low, the aroma is long lasting,
sweet pineapple and frosted raspberry, my guess now is Borneo aloeswood.

Where do you recommend buying the square cut chips like this? Is there a good online store you recommend?

I'd love them as they seem they'd be easy to use on a heater. Are there different qualities to pick from? Do they bubble like other woods? How much do grams range to and from?
 
Where do you recommend buying the square cut chips like this? Is there a good online store you recommend?

I'd love them as they seem they'd be easy to use on a heater. Are there different qualities to pick from? Do they bubble like other woods? How much do grams range to and from?

You’d need a contact in Japan who is willing to ship it to you, because Japan does not export aloeswood. My contact is currently unavailable due to the pandemic.

https://www.kyukyodo.co.jp/product/pdf/catalog_incense.pdf

This link to the Kyukyodo catalogue shows the chips they offer, or here is a screenshot
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day

I have the 6,000 and 12,000 variety, and I was told the 15,000 one is Manaban.

The one I heated today had very little bubbling oil, the 12,000 one has no bubbling oil, I believe it is a combination of the age of the wood/resination, and the years post-harvest which would probably help dry out the oil.....but I could be wrong with this theory.
 
You’d need a contact in Japan who is willing to ship it to you, because Japan does not export aloeswood. My contact is currently unavailable due to the pandemic.

https://www.kyukyodo.co.jp/product/pdf/catalog_incense.pdf

This link to the Kyukyodo catalogue shows the chips they offer, or here is a screenshot
View attachment 12353
I have the 6,000 and 12,000 variety, and I was told the 15,000 one is Manaban.

The one I heated today had very little bubbling oil, the 12,000 one has no bubbling oil, I believe it is a combination of the age of the wood/resination, and the years post-harvest which would probably help dry out the oil.....but I could be wrong with this theory.

Ok gotcha. But the quality is really good? Does it just burn if you heat it too hot?

Do other Japanese houses sell similar chips? All kinda similar different types?

Do any sell the kinda chips in the various shapes we are more accostumed to here?
 
Ok gotcha. But the quality is really good? Does it just burn if you heat it too hot?

Do other Japanese houses sell similar chips? All kinda similar different types?

Do any sell the kinda chips in the various shapes we are more accostumed to here?
The aromatic quality is really good with much uniformity, no random bunk pieces, that’s the Japanese way😀
I will echo what JK was referring.......
they are not meant for fumigation......
but if you crank it up gradually, you will still manage to extract an aromatic ride, with the higher heat yielding a scorched resin note, but not a burnt wood note. As for red coals, I have never tried that yet.

I know that Kohgen and Yamadamatsu have Chunks, Square Cuts, Small Cuts, Tiny Cuts, and Powdered. Shoyeido has Chunks, Square Cuts, and Tiny Cuts. Baieido has Chunks. But if you’re lucky enough to visit some Japanese shops, you may discover goodies that are not advertised, just ask Oud_learner:Cooler:
 
The aromatic quality is really good with much uniformity, no random bunk pieces, that’s the Japanese way😀
I will echo what JK was referring.......
they are not meant for fumigation......
but if you crank it up gradually, you will still manage to extract an aromatic ride, with the higher heat yielding a scorched resin note, but not a burnt wood note. As for red coals, I have never tried that yet.

I know that Kohgen and Yamadamatsu have Chunks, Square Cuts, Small Cuts, Tiny Cuts, and Powdered. Shoyeido has Chunks, Square Cuts, and Tiny Cuts. Baieido has Chunks. But if you’re lucky enough to visit some Japanese shops, you may discover goodies that are not advertised, just ask Oud_learner:Cooler:

I've seen regular plantation type chips being sold online at Yahoo Japan too along with some square cuts
 
I've seen regular plantation type chips being sold online at Yahoo Japan too along with some square cuts
I read somewhere that Japanese Incense companies work hand in hand with some plantations, so I figure that their old stock is becoming less and the use of plantation pieces is increasing. I wonder....does the China Market possess most of the old growth?
 
I read somewhere that Japanese Incense companies work hand in hand with some plantations, so I figure that their old stock is becoming less and the use of plantation pieces is increasing. I wonder....does the China Market possess most of the old growth?

Yamadamatsu is 20-30 years in to their plantations.

They plan to hold off till 100 years before beginning any harvesting. With that being said - I’ve tried some of their plantation woods and they are already quite good.

No inoculation, or even drilling. Just growing and allowing the natural process to take place.

I know the other big companies are working on this, as well - but haven’t been able to pry any details from them just yet.
 
Throwing
The aromatic quality is really good with much uniformity, no random bunk pieces, that’s the Japanese way😀
I will echo what JK was referring.......
they are not meant for fumigation......
but if you crank it up gradually, you will still manage to extract an aromatic ride, with the higher heat yielding a scorched resin note, but not a burnt wood note. As for red coals, I have never tried that yet.

I know that Kohgen and Yamadamatsu have Chunks, Square Cuts, Small Cuts, Tiny Cuts, and Powdered. Shoyeido has Chunks, Square Cuts, and Tiny Cuts. Baieido has Chunks. But if you’re lucky enough to visit some Japanese shops, you may discover goodies that are not advertised, just ask Oud_learner:Cooler:

Throwing good wood on charcoal will get a scowl in Japan. They might even mutter something about being barbaric :Roflmao:

They don’t take too kindly to frivolous waste- especially of a precious aromatic, even before it was a dwindling resource.
 
Lighting up an extra nice chip from Vietnam this morning. a super sinking thin chip I pulled out of a larger bag of chips. This puppy is melting and bubbling and smells so sweet it’s ridiculous. All the chips in this batch smell good but this one is off the chain.
 
some Hirta Malaysian chips from Habz. Fantastic wood as always.

I also took the time to re-bag some 10g lots of wood which were just in massive baggies and took up space in my box, so I put them into smaller, empty baggiest - I done this for 8 lots of wood!

happy with the result though, I have 3 more that I'd do but have ran out of smaller baggies.
Time to burn more then to free some up :Roflmao:
 
I've been reading this thread with interest.
I've signed up to the Kenneth Cannata newsletter and I hope to try some Dr Incense stick at some point.

I may or may not get any of the above.
I am thinking of ordering a subitism burner.

Could anyone recommend a good sample set of wood/incense for me to start with?

Usually the vendors will make a custom sample set for you. Not sure anyone has a sample set up in their shops.

I make plenty of custom sets. Have a few heaters available, as well. But any of the vendors should be able to help you out - and we all have different things in hand
 
Back
Top