I ran out of time this morning while 40 min into this chunk of kinam.
I came back inside and turned back on the heater and bam! Instant scent vapor !
How long will this go? Will it ever char and smell burnt? How is this one of the cheapest woods I own? Should I start hoarding ?
Cost to volume and quality of scent is outrageous with this wood. Probably the easiest wood to heat because on low heat it will just go and go for over an hour with a half gram chunk. No attention to the heat, lingering the air for hours
Now my oud shopping plan is dwindled because of your post. :Devilish:
 
When you get chips which are like wizard hats (lol), sorta triangular, coned shape - is it because all this non resonated dead wood has been removed?

I had a large chip of Viet wood I was figuring how to get a bit off when I noticed it was fragile and just ripped it in half. Then all this stuff inside fell out and I tapped the wood on my table causing more to come out.

I'll give it a cleaning now, see if I can get it to look decent!

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
When you get chips which are like wizard hats (lol), sorta triangular, coned shape - is it because all this non resonated dead wood has been removed?

I had a large chip of Viet wood I was figuring how to get a bit off when I noticed it was fragile and just ripped it in half. Then all this stuff inside fell out and I tapped the wood on my table causing more to come out.

I'll give it a cleaning now, see if I can get it to look decent!

View attachment 12425

Yep!

Most folks don’t see what the wood looks like before it’s carved. Often times those pieces are insect formations - and there can be a variety of “big spit” or “big paper” used to seal up in there.

I’ve got some “hats” / “ears” / “shells” that get sent and they aren’t carved (bastards) - I imagine because if they do the shell would just break. Sometimes they are filled with white wood. Other times with bug spit / paper. I’ll try to find some and take some photos.

I wish we could post some videos in here without having to upload to YouTube. Would be even better for some visuals
 
Yep!

Most folks don’t see what the wood looks like before it’s carved. Often times those pieces are insect formations - and there can be a variety of “big spit” or “big paper” used to seal up in there.

I’ve got some “hats” / “ears” / “shells” that get sent and they aren’t carved (bastards) - I imagine because if they do the shell would just break. Sometimes they are filled with white wood. Other times with bug spit / paper. I’ll try to find some and take some photos.

I wish we could post some videos in here without having to upload to YouTube. Would be even better for some visuals

Not for nothing but your YouTube videos seem to get a bit of action - would basically be killing two birds with one stone to upload to YouTube. I love videos of Agarwood and people with expertise discussing things - much of what is on YouTube about Agarwood is trash. Except for some long bbc documentary, the oudimentary video, and some of ensars videos, there isn't much....

Kyarazen posted some cool ones - not ones he made - that are translated into English. Mini documentary about Agarwood carvings that is really cool. But post away! We love it and can't hurt from marketing perspective to have more content than less.
 
Not for nothing but your YouTube videos seem to get a bit of action - would basically be killing two birds with one stone to upload to YouTube. I love videos of Agarwood and people with expertise discussing things - much of what is on YouTube about Agarwood is trash. Except for some long bbc documentary, the oudimentary video, and some of ensars videos, there isn't much....

Kyarazen posted some cool ones - not ones he made - that are translated into English. Mini documentary about Agarwood carvings that is really cool. But post away! We love it and can't hurt from marketing perspective to have more content than less.

I hear ya.

They take hours to upload at times - and for some reason there will be some kind of problem and then they won’t upload. It’s why I haven’t loaded any new ones recently.

Ties up my phone, too - which hampers getting work done.

Any ideas on a fix?
 
Here’s a great example of a formation.

People might recognize this type of formation.

What they often don’t see is that it’s essentially upside down - and the actual top is what’s exposed to the outside. In this case - the bark of the tree.

[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
 
Here’s another great example - what we see as the formation - is actually the piece upside down that was the internal part of the tree bumping up against what was exposed to the outside.
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day
[Ouddict.com] Burn of the Day



PS - just trying to be educational. Everything a vendor says isn’t a sales pitch 😉
 
Yep!

Most folks don’t see what the wood looks like before it’s carved. Often times those pieces are insect formations - and there can be a variety of “big spit” or “big paper” used to seal up in there.

I’ve got some “hats” / “ears” / “shells” that get sent and they aren’t carved (bastards) - I imagine because if they do the shell would just break. Sometimes they are filled with white wood. Other times with bug spit / paper. I’ll try to find some and take some photos.

I wish we could post some videos in here without having to upload to YouTube. Would be even better for some visuals

This is really common here too! The bunk material inside easily adds 3-4 grams to the weight of the chip 🙁
 
This is really common here too! The bunk material inside easily adds 3-4 grams to the weight of the chip 🙁

Can be hard to avoid sometimes especially if it’s inside and unseen.

If this ever happens and I miss it and a client gets some - they’ll usually let me know and I’ll send some replacement material.

Add this to the list of things that takes weight out of bulk batches (even micro lots, to be honest), further adding to the bottom line cost of raw materials.
 
Cleaning is everything, most of the Ouddict community never sees or understands , all we see is perfection. 1 scrap of white wood and complaints start flying . People don’t really get the work vendors do to guarantee that wood. everyone thinks margins are normal, they are not if vendors made regular margins the price of wood and oil would skyrocket . Look at prices and quality in the open market places.
It’s not perfect wood and it’s not cheap.
 
“Nice looking Log”

“That’s what she said”
Dear JK, two decades before, sandalwood logs that I have seen and burnt are nowhere. At least not within my reach. In Urdu there is a proverbial expression: 'Majboori kaa naam shukriya (What is available is to be declared the best:Cry:)'. Now I think old-is-gold wood MAY POSSIBLY be acquired from Japanese traditional incense houses or from Santalwood freaks, nerds and addicts. Otherwise, you yourself know the situation very well.
 
Dear JK, two decades before, sandalwood logs that I have seen and burnt are nowhere. At least not within my reach. In Urdu there is a proverbial expression: 'Majboori kaa naam shukriya (What is available is to be declared the best:Cry:)'. Now I think old-is-gold wood MAY POSSIBLY be acquired from Japanese traditional incense houses or from Santalwood freaks, nerds and addicts. Otherwise, you yourself know the situation very well.

Certainly not as easy to find as it used to be!

“Majboori kaa naam shukriya”
 
Back
Top