Excuse me , Arabic coffee ☝️
yes, I should say arabic golf coffee. In the other arabic countries we drink the dark roasted coffee and its prepared a bit different, similar to turkish coffee. But this blend is supposed to be typical saudi arabia style, thats why I mentioned it. I know that other counteries like Qatar, Oman etc. add other stuff to their coffees but I dont know details and differeences between the countries to elaborate further. This speecific one I do home with the blonde coffee (medium or low roast + Cardamom + Clove + Saffron)
Let me know, if you know more about the specific blends/styles of each country
 
A little ahead of schedule but I generally cook this a couple times a year. My Irish heritage (small percentage, more honorary) celebrated in food.

A corned beef Brisket on a bed of onion, carrot and potato is slow pot roasted until tender, 7-10 hours and later topped by cabbage. Does it sound bland? Makes my mouth water in anticipation!


[Ouddict.com] Food
 
yes, I should say arabic golf coffee. In the other arabic countries we drink the dark roasted coffee and its prepared a bit different, similar to turkish coffee. But this blend is supposed to be typical saudi arabia style, thats why I mentioned it. I know that other counteries like Qatar, Oman etc. add other stuff to their coffees but I dont know details and differeences between the countries to elaborate further. This speecific one I do home with the blonde coffee (medium or low roast + Cardamom + Clove + Saffron)
Let me know, if you know more about the specific blends/styles of each country
Believe it or not the way Arabs first started preparing coffee it was black, and remained so in the colder regions (northern Saudi Arabia currently, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen etc.) often mixed with ambergris, musk, sugar, aromatics.
But for some reason, through time, people in the middle of Arabia (current middle Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE to an extent and Bahrain) started liking a blond roast with spices added. The history is vague as is all history in the last two hundred years, but I bet it’s something to do with the weather and nomadic lifestyle.
The ingredients and roasting level even within Saudi Arabia differs widely, some brew it with only cardamom, some with cardamom, saffron, cloves, some with ginger, some with frankincense, some with all the above + saffron and civet paste believe it or not. Each region in the peninsula has its own specialty, and within that each tribe has its own. Some tribes in the UAE for example brew it a little darker than blonde, and add nothing to it, just coffee and water.
In the north, some tribes brew it very thick and black almost burnt, and then it’s put into bottles and fermented then reheated.

That’s why I have a resentment for the naming “Saudi coffee”, because it strips away the identities of both people inside the kingdom, and outside of it. It’s a part of a long propaganda campaign there, same with camels, clothes. But I don’t want to get into politics so I apologize.

Anyways here’s wild Yemeni honey, mixed with ambergris at 1%
[Ouddict.com] Food

[Ouddict.com] Food
 
Believe it or not the way Arabs first started preparing coffee it was black, and remained so in the colder regions (northern Saudi Arabia currently, Syria, Lebanon, Yemen etc.) often mixed with ambergris, musk, sugar, aromatics.
But for some reason, through time, people in the middle of Arabia (current middle Saudi Arabia, Qatar, UAE to an extent and Bahrain) started liking a blond roast with spices added. The history is vague as is all history in the last two hundred years, but I bet it’s something to do with the weather and nomadic lifestyle.
The ingredients and roasting level even within Saudi Arabia differs widely, some brew it with only cardamom, some with cardamom, saffron, cloves, some with ginger, some with frankincense, some with all the above + saffron and civet paste believe it or not. Each region in the peninsula has its own specialty, and within that each tribe has its own. Some tribes in the UAE for example brew it a little darker than blonde, and add nothing to it, just coffee and water.
In the north, some tribes brew it very thick and black almost burnt, and then it’s put into bottles and fermented then reheated.

That’s why I have a resentment for the naming “Saudi coffee”, because it strips away the identities of both people inside the kingdom, and outside of it. It’s a part of a long propaganda campaign there, same with camels, clothes. But I don’t want to get into politics so I apologize.

Anyways here’s wild Yemeni honey, mixed with ambergris at 1%
View attachment 44508
View attachment 44509
Yea I totally understand and thanks for going into details. I just called it Saudi Coffee because I got it from there and was told this was a kind of traditional mixture for them. Not because I believe that this coffee style belongs to Saudi Arabia only or to stripe away the identity/heritage of this coffee style.

How is the honey taste with the ambergris? Its a big difference?
 
Last edited:
Yea I totally understand and thanks for going into details. I just called it Saudi Coffee because I got it from there and was told this was a kind of traditional mixture for them. Not because I believe that this coffee style belongs to Saudi Arabia only or to stripe away the identity/heritage of this coffee style.

How is the honey taste with the ambergris? Its a big difference?
It’s illegal to call it Arabic coffee btw, you have to name it (on menus, ads, etc) Saudi coffee or you’ll be fined or even jailed.
The honey with ambergris is a little hard to describe, being diluted in honey somehow made it intensify and brought out its sweet woody side. Can’t really differentiate it from the actual honeys scent because it’s my first time tasting this honey, and wild honey can vary greatly and can be very complex on its own.
 
It’s illegal to call it Arabic coffee btw, you have to name it (on menus, ads, etc) Saudi coffee or you’ll be fined or even jailed.
The honey with ambergris is a little hard to describe, being diluted in honey somehow made it intensify and brought out its sweet woody side. Can’t really differentiate it from the actual honeys scent because it’s my first time tasting this honey, and wild honey can vary greatly and can be very complex on its own.
Wait what? I didn't know that it is illegal and goes this far
 
Todays dinner : Bedouins cornflakes
I actually don’t know the name of this dish, it does have an old name but I can’t remember it.
Hot Camels milk, Raqaq bread (crispy flatbread made using whole wheat), honey mixed with saffron, ginger, cinnamon and black seed. And a spoon of butter on top.
 

Attachments

  • [Ouddict.com] Food
    IMG_0590.webp
    158 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
IMG_0601.jpeg

Floral lemonade
Lemons, dried mint, dried muhammadi rose and jasmine sambac, sweet basil leaf, cloves, honey. Really nice but needs more honey, ill adjust the recipe and post it.
Ingredients:

  1. 750ml water
  2. 4g dried jasmine sambac flowers
  3. 4g dried damascene rose flower
  4. 2g fresh mint leaves or 0.5g dried
  5. 2g sweet basil leaves
  6. 2 cloves
  7. 120ml lemon juice
  8. 90-110g honey
  9. 240ml cold water or ice
  10. Optional for garnishing : fresh mint leaves, or flowers, or a lemon slice.


Method

  1. Simmer the 750ml of water and take it off heat, then drop in it the flowers, leaves and cloves. Let steep for 10-15 minutes.
  2. Strain the steeped flowers and wait till it’s warm and safe to touch, add the honey and mix it.
  3. Add the melon juice, and the remaining 250ml of cold water or ice.
  4. Optional: strain again with two coffee filters to make it clearer.
  5. Put in fridge, chill then serve.


Recommendations : if it’s too bitter for you, decrease the steep time, or decrease the amount of flowers, or add honey/sugar.
 
Last edited:
I am at the local desi south Asian supermarket. Ramadan is going on and I see there’s plethora of dates to choose from.
I’ve only tried mejdool type and love them.
What are your favorite type? Any recommendation would be appreciated. Looking to expand beyond mejdool 🙏🏻
For me Saudi dates are where it's at, specifically I'm a fan of
- Sukkari (Make sure they're dried, I like the slightly fresh ones but the dried ones is where its at!)
- Rab'ai (If you can't find any Sukkari then this is what I'd serve and consume)
- Safawi and Mabroom (I like these both, much more than Deglets (These are actually Tunsian dates) and Mejdool)
- Khudri (These are ideally the lowest in desirability I consume )

Personally it's a point of great sadness that people have never encountered these dates, once you have though, you'll never be able to touch Medjools again
 
I am at the local desi south Asian supermarket. Ramadan is going on and I see there’s plethora of dates to choose from.
I’ve only tried mejdool type and love them.
What are your favorite type? Any recommendation would be appreciated. Looking to expand beyond mejdool 🙏🏻
Ajwa and medjool are my favourites, with khudri as a very close second (or would it be third in this case?). I know some people who love sukkari dates, but they're too squidgy for me. Even the dried ones are meh imo
 
For me Saudi dates are where it's at, specifically I'm a fan of
- Sukkari (Make sure they're dried, I like the slightly fresh ones but the dried ones is where its at!)
- Rab'ai (If you can't find any Sukkari then this is what I'd serve and consume)
- Safawi and Mabroom (I like these both, much more than Deglets (These are actually Tunsian dates) and Mejdool)
- Khudri (These are ideally the lowest in desirability I consume )

Personally it's a point of great sadness that people have never encountered these dates, once you have though, you'll never be able to touch Medjools again
Khudri the lowest?!?!? Bro I'm gonna need to covert you
 
Back
Top